Beginners and Beyond

Is It WednesDailies? (Read 48 times)

DavePNW

Oy. I can't help myself. I went down again, on the same stretch of broken up sidewalk as last time. Not nearly as bad - almost able to stay upright, so didn't hit the ground very hard. And fortunately wearing gloves, although slightly reopened the sore on my hand (which was finally healing - literally yesterday was the first day without a bandaid on it). The knee sores still haven't really healed, and one of them got re-aggravated a bit.

And again, after doing this 0.25 miles in, I went ahead & did the workout: 2x800, 4x400, 2x200. Tough at the start, but overall not too bad I guess.

Dave

Cyberic

Is it an electrode or optical HRM?  I've had static issues with the electrode chest strap in the colder weather and it would go all bazonkers.  My Scosche optical HRM is better.  Still get cadence lock in the cold, but settles in after a 1/2 mile or so.

Electrode, well a traditional, not optical HRM. The HRM-Run that came with my Forerunner 620.

I would buy a Scosche if I was sure it measures HRV (heart rate variability) as that is necessary for Garmin to measure Lactate Threshold. The wrist HRM doesn't work for LT because of that.

Cyberic

Oy. I can't help myself. I went down again, on the same stretch of broken up sidewalk

Baboon

delicate flower

DaveP, please request one of these for Christmas:

<3

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Electrode, well a traditional, not optical HRM. The HRM-Run that came with my Forerunner 620.

I would buy a Scosche if I was sure it measures HRV (heart rate variability) as that is necessary for Garmin to measure Lactate Threshold. The wrist HRM doesn't work for LT because of that.

It may sound a little gross, but you'll be all sweaty and gross anyway...  When I'd get static spikes I'd put some saliva under the electrodes which helped.  I think there's a gel out there too, which I've never tried.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Count me for this too.

Damaris

Cyberic

It may sound a little gross, but you'll be all sweaty and gross anyway...  When I'd get static spikes I'd put some saliva under the electrodes which helped.  I think there's a gel out there too, which I've never tried.

Thanks for the tip.

It's been an on and off investigation for quite some time now. I've tried saliva. It does work sometimes, but not always. I've tried rubbing a sheet of Bounce on my shirt to eliminate static electricity from the shirt from interfering before my run. It worked, then it didn't. I just changed the strap and kept the HRM-Run module. I thought I had it fixed... until today.

I just can't make it dependable. It's not my first HRM module, either. With the other ones, I'd get the occasional spike that saliva would fix.

My current issue seems to be the HRM-Run module itself.

Cyberic

Pros

• The Rhythm is more convenient than a traditional heart rate strap. It sits comfortably on the forearm just below the elbow, and is unlikely to cause any chafing problems.
                  • Because it supports both Bluetooth and ANT+, the Rhythm+ will work with the vast majority of devices and phones.

Cons

• The biggest problem I found with a Rhythm+ is that it frequently gave wildly inaccurate readings. See below for more details.
                  • In addition to the wild errors, the Rhythm+ is not accurate enough to provide useful Heart Rate Variability (HRV) data. HRV is used by a number of devices for estimating fitness and recovery, and the Rhythm+ will prevent these features working correctly. See below for more details.
                  • Unlike a traditional heart rate strap where the battery will last for months, the Rhythm+ only lasts for around seven hours. This means that you have yet another device to keep charged.

For me it's not an accuracy issue, but a HRV issue.

oldfartrunner

Got the speed in without incident.  Decided on short and sweet since the stress levels would be higher running faster.

8 total-2.5 up and strides, 16X200/200JR (1:15-30) 47-44, 2 DN. The first one was the only 47, most were 46-45, and had 4 @ 44 (sub 6) so pretty happy, but felt pretty strained because I haven't been doing this fast of work.  That is my interval to Rep pace according to Jack-since I'm right on the bubble of a 20min 5K. Hammy held together and will see how the second run goes tonight, and then foam rolling and stretching it out?

Dave: Nice job getting that in after the fall.

Baboon: Glad the swim went well. It takes a lot of technique to swim well.  Funny clip! Brings new meaning to "be the ball".

CY: Nice work, and sorry about data loss.

Berto: Thanks, and good luck in the dark. Sad

Freesoul: Nice work. Remind me to never arm wrestle you.

Cuba has a lot of classic cars.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

For me it's not an accuracy issue, but a HRV issue.

Yeah, I think it's time for someone to build a better mousetrap.  Hopefully soon.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

DavePNW

That will do me no good. The knees are unprotected. I think it's time for someone to build a better mousetrap. Hopefully soon.

Dave

KCRuns

We just started Mindhunters and love it. I thought the first episode was a very slow build up, but after that one I'm hooked.  We have a few more episodes to finish season 1.  The other one we're binge watching is Orphan Black.  Soooooo good.

Today is an USRD.  It was pouring rain this morning, so I opted not to run to work.  And I had a training session for new software during lunch today, so no gym time either.

DavePNW

The other one we're binge watching is Orphan Black.  Soooooo good.

That has been on my list for a while, I thought it looked cool. But my wife has no interest, so haven't gotten around to it. We usually try to find something we can watch together. Since finishing our last one (not sure if this exactly fits the category, but it was the Ken Burns Vietnam War documentary series), we are currently on the lookout.

Dave

onemile

Yesterday and today has been a nightmare. Gracie's incision started looking infected at the bottom and it got bad fast. She spent last night in the ER and now is in Madison. They found some dead tissue and skin on the underside of her leg (delayed tissue death from the dog bites) that had to be cut out and then her incision had to be cleaned up. She's going to be staying there until Friday.

I ran for 20 minutes today, with Bruno. I have always wanted to try the McMillan (scientifically proven!) marathon recovery plan so that's what I am doing.  Rest day tomorrow and another 20 on Friday. It's super conservative but I wonder if it will be better than just taking a week to 10 days off like I usually do. Figured it was worth a try.

DavePNW

Yesterday and today has been a nightmare. Gracie's incision started looking infected at the bottom and it got bad fast. She spent last night in the ER and now is in Madison. They found some dead tissue and skin on the underside of her leg (delayed tissue death from the dog bites) that had to be cut out and then her incision had to be cleaned up. She's going to be staying there until Friday.

I ran for 20 minutes today, with Bruno. I have always wanted to try the McMillan (scientifically proven!) marathon recovery plan so that's what I am doing.  Rest day tomorrow and another 20 on Friday. It's super conservative but I wonder if it will be better than just taking a week to 10 days off like I usually do. Figured it was worth a try.

Ugh. Good luck with everything.

And when you wrote "20 on Friday", for a split second I forgot you were talking about minutes, and thought "man, do not sign me up for that recovery plan". But I imagine once you want to get started again, you'll be glad you at least did a little running rather than being completely off.

Dave