Beginners and Beyond

Blue Hockey Pucks of Death TUESDAY DAILIES (Read 20 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ended up with 5 today instead due to time and court hearings.

Damaris

onemile

Srsly! HMP-10 is roughly LT/tempo pace for me, and 6x1 is a workout I do around peak marathon training. You didn't mention how long the recoveries were, but that's going to be very tough regardless.

I just looked at the plan and one week includes a Tuesday workout of 2x3 miles at 10k pace and then Thursday is 10 miles with 7 straight at HMP.  That's pretty ridiculous. I'd pick a more reasonable plan.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I just looked at the plan and one week includes a Tuesday workout of 2x3 miles at 10k pace and then Thursday is 10 miles with 7 straight at HMP.  That's pretty ridiculous. I'd pick a more reasonable plan.

I love that plan.  I've gotten successive PRs the past few years with that.  It's supposed to be HMP minus 10 seconds rather than 10k pace, which is a small difference.  Also, Wednesday is a rest day.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

sdWhiskers

Srsly! HMP-10 is roughly LT/tempo pace for me, and 6x1 is a workout I do around peak marathon training. You didn't mention how long the recoveries were, but that's going to be very tough regardless.

Yeah, I see that now. Recovery was 400m so 2:45-3 min slog for me here. I've never done this many mile repeats before...but I've also only done them faster and with 60-90s recovery. So I wasn't sure how terrible this would be.

I had been thinking that jumping into the second half of the Hanson's plan would be ok because mileage was on par with what I've been doing for the entire pandemic. And I've been adding in speed workouts for several weeks now. It's a rough reminder that HMP is HARD. I ran 5 mi at 9:21 last week which was completely doable. Here, 5 x 1 mi at 9:02 avg was pretty hard.

sdWhiskers

I love that plan.  I've gotten successive PRs the past few years with that.  It's supposed to be HMP minus 10 seconds rather than 10k pace, which is a small difference.  Also, Wednesday is a rest day.

There's a line in the book that reminds the reader to include the 1.5-3 mi warm up and cool down for each weekday workout, "which could mean 13-14 miles which is almost 90 mins". LOL no. 13-14 miles for me is >2h which is too much during the week.

sdWhiskers

What does the Coach Onemile plan look like? 

DavePNW

What does the Coach Onemile plan look like? 

Hard to imagine that’s going to be any easier! 

Dave

sdWhiskers

I generally get discouraged by the popular plans because they assume people at my paces want to Just Finish.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

There's a line in the book that reminds the reader to include the 1.5-3 mi warm up and cool down for each weekday workout, "which could mean 13-14 miles which is almost 90 mins". LOL no. 13-14 miles for me is >2h which is too much during the week.

Thursdays get up to 11 miles for me when including the warm up and cool down (I go for the short end of the 1.5 - 3 mile range).  The recovery on the 2 x 3 miles is 1 mile after each (then the cool down run).  So the day is 3 miles warm-up/cool-down, 2 miles slow recovery, 6 miles at HMP less 10 seconds.  That's an 1¾ hours for me.  I get up pretty early for those, but in the summer I need to be up early anyway to beat the heat.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

Half Crazy K 2.0

Daniels has something about slower runners, I think it was talking about R pace (so mile-ish) and used 6mm as the "slower" runners example. At least the book does offer some modifications for real slow runners.

Half Crazy K 2.0

I generally get discouraged by the popular plans because they assume people at my paces want to Just Finish.

When I was using a Hudson plan, I made some assumptions about the easy mileage and then converted it to times for me. Basically, when it called for 8 easy on a Monday (after a Sunday long run), I decided that was an hour. 6 easy= 45 minutes, 4 easy = 30-ish minutes. I did less miles than the plan on the non-workout days, but it felt managable. A 90 minute run the day after a long run, lol, no.

DavePNW

I think that’s still a good workout to do. I don’t do anything without a 2+ mile warmup & ~1.5 mile cooldown, so that’d make it around 11 total. Not sure what’s manageable for you in the morning, but I think hard to do any kind of serious training plan without some midweek double-digits. And hey, the faster you run the reps, the more time you save! 

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

I think that’s still a good workout to do. I don’t do anything without a 2+ mile warmup & ~1.5 mile cooldown, so that’d make it around 11 total. Not sure what’s manageable for you in the morning, but I think hard to do any kind of serious training plan without some midweek double-digits. And hey, the faster you run the reps, the more time you save! 

I've had decent results with a 90 minute run and a 2 hour long run for HMs. It's mostly manageable. For me, 90 minutes is not going to be double digits.

onemile

I have never run more than ~5 miles at HMP straight for a workout and def not 3 miles at 10k pace x 2 (maybe a 3 mile tempo - or broken into intervals) - and the plan on the Hansons site does actually say "10k pace" for those - yikes.

I have always done more of a progressive build up of HMP mile workouts... such as 7-8x1k, 5-6x1 mile, 3x2 miles, 2x3 miles, 2x4 miles (peak workout) along with a second workout of shorter faster intervals (5k pace) or a fartlek

sdWhiskers

From a logistics perspective, I can fit in a midweek double digit run. But following Hanson's would give me 10+ every Tues, Thurs and Sat. Which feels like a jump from where I am. But maybe that's what I need? At least its perfectly light out at 5am now...