Beginners and Beyond

2020 Dailies #207 (Read 28 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

The only way will be if they pay $10 million.

Damaris

Cyberic

The only way will be if they pay $10 million.

I hope they do not pay. The more companies pay, the more profitable those attacks are, the more of them we'll see. Simple economics.

On the other hand, although there in no guarantee the attackers will send the decrypt codes if they pay,  if the hackers want to make it a profitable business, word has to get around that paying actually works.

If Garmin pays and the artackers send the decrypt codes, it can still take many days to decrypt all that data. Remember it's not only our data that's been encrypted, but the operating systems' files and everything. I can not know that for sure, but the fact that their call centers are dowm leads me to believe they encrypted everything.

KCRuns

I did 10.4 with my SIL & BIL. The first half was hilly, but in the shade, the second half was flat, but full sun.

onemile

so this morning when I went to run my garmin got a GPS signal but didn't record any distance when I started running.  Then when I tried to delete the activity it just froze.  so I restarted the garmin and tried again. Same deal.  so I ended up just using the Strava app to record my run.  I guess I will try a full reset? or what? I dunno 

I ran around 10 miles anyway... yesterday and today were spent working on remodeling my bathroom (pulling out old flooring, painting etc) and I'm tired

DavePNW

so this morning when I went to run my garmin got a GPS signal but didn't record any distance when I started running.  Then when I tried to delete the activity it just froze.  so I restarted the garmin and tried again. Same deal.  so I ended up just using the Strava app to record my run.  I guess I will try a full reset? or what? I dunno 

Hard reset is the only thing I can think of to do. How old is it? Oh the problems with our tech! In the meantime, I plugged my garmin into my wife’s computer and it worked. Only problem is her computer is glacially slow, plus it had disconnected from the wifi and didn’t even show the network available, so I had to go through a whole rigamarole to get that working again. Anyway it’s done. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Dave

onemile

Hard reset is the only thing I can think of to do. How old is it? Oh the problems with our tech! In the meantime, I plugged my garmin into my wife’s computer and it worked. Only problem is her computer is glacially slow, plus it had disconnected from the wifi and didn’t even show the network available, so I had to go through a whole rigamarole to get that working again. Anyway it’s done. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

it's like 6 months old 

Garmin Fenix 6S

DavePNW

it's like 6 months old 

Garmin Fenix 6S

FFS. And you paid a mint for that thing, didn’t you? My 220 has somehow survived more than 5 years. I know I’m on borrowed time and just waiting for the day.

Dave

Half Crazy K 2.0

FFS. And you paid a mint for that thing, didn’t you? My 220 has somehow survived more than 5 years. I know I’m on borrowed time and just waiting for the day.

At some point they will take away some features to force you to upgrade. My first garmin was a 405. At some point, they took away the ability to transfer workouts from Garmin Connect to the watch. It only used a cable, so it wasn't a bluetooth or wifi issue.

Cyberic

it's like 6 months old 

Garmin Fenix 6S

That happened to my friend  Catherine this week. She has a 245 or a 645... something recent. I thought nothing of it, but with you...that's 2  very rare cases in one week... maybe the failed attempts at sending the files to servers can corrupt the fit files?

She had to hard reset and lose all her runs, because she had not manually uploaded (even though I suggested it)

Baboon

delicate flower

Aaaand...my computer no longer recognizes my Garmin when I connect it to the USB. Tried disconnecting/reconnecting and different ports, no luck. Dammit. 

Looks like you got it working.  Nice job on the LR!

Re: Garmin hack - they are saying that the data appears to be safe, but we shall see.  I don't think they should pay a ransom.

Re: Garmin freezing - my 610 starting doing that about nine months after I bought it.  Once it happened the first time, it kept happening.  I returned it to Costco for a full refund, got a 620 from REI, then had a whole new set of problems with that piece of shit.

As far as my day goes, yada yada I had ice cream.

<3

LRB

No, Mr. O did.

Cyberic

My Fenix 3HR is now 3.5 years old. Bought in when the 5s came out. Was still expensive. But it's holding up well. I'll make it to 4 years for sure, and after that I'll decide if I go for 5.

After that I'm not sure I'll stay in the Fenix lineup. The newer models keep getting more and more expensive. I might make a 180 degrees and go cheap. Ah, I just remembered why I kept going higher and higher, it's because of winter. My other watches froze in the winter (Timex, 610 and 620)

onemile

That happened to my friend  Catherine this week. She has a 245 or a 645... something recent. I thought nothing of it, but with you...that's 2  very rare cases in one week... maybe the failed attempts at sending the files to servers can corrupt the fit files?

She had to hard reset and lose all her runs, because she had not manually uploaded (even though I suggested it)

I did the hard reset and it seems to be working (uploaded my run from yesterday first)

onemile

DavePNW

I know a guy registered for the Reykjavik Marathon, which is in 4 weeks. Good news: so far, still happening! Bad news: they may not let Americans in the country. 

Dave