Beginners and Beyond

Week 10 Penguins deserve a medal! (03/07-03/13) (Read 7 times)

Singer who runs a smidge

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges."  And some penguins don't run at all, we just hang out for the company! It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Today is Finisher's Medal Day.  You can debate all you want about finishers not being deserving of medals, but as someone who often comes in last and never has any hope of actually placing high enough to win a medal, I do enjoy getting a finisher's medal!  It feels like a recognition of my effort, which is not an insignificant thing.

Anyway, that's my deal.

I did almost nothing yesterday, except I did cook up some collard greens and brussels sprouts, so that I'd have veggies for at least some of the week ahead.

I can't remember if I told y'all, but on Thursday DH and I were both surprised to get an email asking us to schedule our first Covid shots.  I bolted out of work and DH took a break from his veggie delivering, and now we've both gotten our first shots.  Aside from some arm soreness, neither of us had any ill effects.  We'll see what the second shot does, toward the end of March.  My parents got their second shot, also on Thursday, and Mom had some significant side effects with hers, as she did with the first one.  Full-body aches, dizziness, fever, etc.  She's feeling better today.

I made donuts so we'd have something to do virtual communion with during church today.  Only they didn't have communion, to my surprise.  So now we just get to eat the donuts.  Darn!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Singer who runs a smidge

Ok, so now I've told y'all 3 times about our Covid shots.  Sorry about that! 

Is memory loss a side effect?

GinnyinPA

I understand being happy to get the shot. I would be too. I'd also be happy to eat a donut. I love donuts, but don't eat them much any more. We used to get one on the way to the trail, back when we were hiking, or when we got the Sunday paper, before it went up to $5.

Quiet sunny day here. Both of us got hit hard, missing Ben and missing the lifestyle we used to have, pre-Covid and pre-Parkinson's. My run helped me to a better mood. Jim and I walked earlier, but that just makes it harder for him, since he has a hard time doing it some days.

Singer who runs a smidge

Ginny, somehow I missed that you lost Ben!!  I'm so sorry to hear that, and so sorry for your loss!!  I had an uncle with Parkinson's, I remember how it affected what he wanted to do vs. what he could do.  And yeah, some days it just hits hard, all the things we've missed in the past year, and how sucky it still is.  There's hope on the horizon, but some days the horizon is still too far off!!

I hope your quiet Sunday finishes out a happy one.

And, apropos of nothing, now I need to go make some soap, or I'm going to be kinda stinky next week. 

GinnyinPA

Do you usually make your own soap?

We lost Ben on the 23rd and my father died 5 days later. February was not a good month.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning. I had a tough week with my dad getting back in the hospital and they still don't know what he has. I don't like that he is confused and not making much sense mostly because of the fever or his low hemoglobin or not sure what. Hoping the doctors have more answers today.

HopesMom, yay for the shot!

Ginny, hugs.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Yeah, February sucked for you!  I'm sorry for your loss.

I do make my own soap, just the melt-n-pour glycerin soap base, and then I add my essential oil(s) of choice.  I make four bars at a time (because that's how many bars are in my mold), so I made a run of patchouli, because it's been a while since I made that.  I was going to do peppermint, but I ran across the patchouli oil first.

Docket, sending good vibes for your dad!  I hope they can figure out what's going on.

GinnyinPA

D - I hope the doctors figure out what's going on. Sometimes something as seemingly simple as a UTI or low B12 can cause mental confusion, but they can be hard to figure out because there are so many possible causes.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yes, and he has a bad prostatitis apart from the kidney issues and that can cause confusion for sure. Sounds like he is fighting with the TV, the GF, the nurses, mostly by denying stuff he already said. 

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

It does look like he has kidney failure and his prostate numbers are really bad. They will check to see if it's prostate cancer but the inflammation can also cause that. I did talk to the doctor today (I've known him since I was born which helps) and he confirmed my dad is confused and sometimes not making sense due to the uremia (caused by the kidney or the prostate infection, not sure). Time will tell.

If not in a pandemic I would be already on my way to PR but I can't even get in to see him so not sure me going there serves much purpose.

And my TM needs a new sensor or cable so I'll see when I get it. Fortunately, we are no longer in the surface of the sun and can run outside.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

Traveling or not is such a difficult decision, and especially considering it's (sort of) overseas!  Well, ok, there's water involved.  But yeah, it's more complicated now.  Hoping the docs can help clear things up for him!

I've got meetings most of the afternoon, trying now to get my morning together.  I got a kettlebell a couple of weeks ago, and I'm doing kettlebell swings in the evenings, since I can't get my butt out to run.  But it's getting warmer, and will be lighter soon, so hopefully that will help.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  I'm mostly doing data analysis today, so lots of time at my desk.  I'm considering taking my lunch outside, though -- I keep missing most of these pretty days!  Maybe I'll hoover my lunch, then throw my dishes in the car and explore the neighborhood a little.  Most folks take an hour, and it doesn't really take me an hour to eat, I spend the rest of my time reading the news and so forth.

Ok, off to tackle data!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! Between my dad in the hospital and work, I've had limited time to do anything. My knee was bugging me and since there was 40mph gusts yesterday I didn't run but used the reformer. I have not run much in 5 days. The knee/ITB is way better but I feel like my patella might need to be put in place or something. Not painful but it cracks a bit still. Anyway, the TM is still down due to the faulty sensor and I've not heard back from Sole yet (damn Covid).

That's all for me.

HopesMom, hope you get to eat outside!

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

I did both eat outside and go for a walk, although the walk pushed my time available a little too much.  I decided the route would make a really good bike ride, though, so my trike is in my car and I've got my clothes to change into.  It's supposed to be cloudy today and a little cooler, but it shouldn't be raining.  So, lunch outside and a bike ride!

Yes, covid completely sucketh.  I'll be glad when we can all get back to normal, or new normal, or something!