Beginners and Beyond

It's my first Fridalies (Read 54 times)

DavePNW

I've got an easy run after work.  I've got my first truly long run in a year this weekend.  I can't decide if I should do it tomorrow in awesome running weather but on tired legs after yesterday's run, or do it Sunday on slightly more rested legs but in warm, humid, windy, and rainy weather.  My PLAN says to do it Sunday, but Coach always says to move stuff around if weather is an issue.

Even for an easy-paced long run, I would switch to get the better weather. I think you will get more misery out of crappy weather than tired legs. And running it on tired legs may give you a better workout.

So, I disagree with onemile. In these cases I'm pretty sure you know which way to go.

Dave

delicate flower

Even for an easy-paced long run, I would switch to get the better weather. I think you will get more misery out of crappy weather than tired legs. And running it on tired legs may give you a better workout.

So, I disagree with onemile. In these cases I'm pretty sure you know which way to go.

I'll give it a go tomorrow.  If I suck, I'll bail and tray again Sunday.  It's an 18 mile "moderate effort" run...no intervals or tempos or set pace to shoot for.

<3

Runshortii

I’ll run either 2 or 3 tomorrow. Which is probably for the better because I’m pretty sure I’m turning into a raging bitch at work

breadnatty08

I don't run trails that much,  but find this time of year challenging since the leaves hide roots and rocks. I usually don't see the root, just learn of it's presence when I trip on it.

That's one more reason why I don't think I want to try and run Hellgate 100k this year.  It's in the mountains of Virginia in December.  Could be covered in snow or loads of leaves (or both) as in this (generic, not me) picture from a few years ago:

Find me on Strava

delicate flower

God damn Red Sox.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Living in paradise is nice but having seasons is cool too. I could not imagine living in one season year round and having that one season be a hot one...are you sure you didn't die and got sentenced to hell. lol

I have not seen any paper towels yet, so I am guessing no.

Damaris

Cyberic

Got all my shit done by the middle of the afternoon, so I still had time for a good workout.

Ran about 2 miles, then did skips, then 3 short sprints (100 feet maybe). Waited 2 -3 minutes and did a Yasso 800s workout.

I do it like this, by garmin GPS, not on the track:

10 x (800m w/3min jog)

Avg time for the 800s = 2:59, which is 6:00 minutes / mile (3:44 minutes / km).

I'm happy because in March i did the same workout and my average 800 was 3:05. Of course I was dressed more lightly today Smile

oldfartrunner

Well, we got err done!  Good effort for both of us. The wife did 13 with 5 coming back at current Half pace up here at alt. I got 14+, 5 up, 6X1Mile @ 6:40-48/1min JR, 3 DN. Legs are feeling great! It helped that I added 600 extra calories last night to make sure everything was topped off with carbs.

Onemile: It look like we are both training to bust the 1:30 barrier.

Damaris: LOL! And the paper towels are those cheap 100grit ones.  

Mick: Nice work!

Baboon: Back to back is always a harder workout, IMO. Easier to get injured too in my experience. Sad

Dave: Enjoy the calm before the storm.

CY: WOW!  5 miles worth. Nice job!

Blue/100: I like to do step ups with a high knee as you finish the step up-like you are trying to knee someone hard in the nuts, extending through the groin, which gives your hip flexors a workout and stretches them at the same time.. You can add light dumb bells to make it more effective too. And then just do quick steps jumping from side to side on a 12'' step-just lightly tapping the top. If you keep your head level and don't look at what your feet are doing-keeping tight abs and level hips(good form), it helps with proprioception for trail running, and keeps the "oldfart shuffle" at bay.  I find a 12" step just right, but if you are taller the 18" might be better, or if you want a better stretch- but if you got knee problems, lower is better. 2-3 sets, 2-3 times a week and you will be running with higher clearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEV_b5zPZqY

oldfartrunner

I almost fell while running once and stumbled so far that I wished I had fallen!

Did that a bunch myself LRB. I call it, "running out of the fall".   Really tweaks the fast twitchers too.  Gets my hammy to talkin every time.

oldfartrunner

Lifting: abs, lat pulldown, seated leg press, torso rotation

Exercise bike 30 minutes level 13 hill setting 10.12 miles.

I signed up for a 10k on the 15th yesterday so I want to go 7-8 tomorrow so the 6.2 will feel easy.

We got one the 14th-haven't signed up yet. What's yours?

KCRuns

Looks like lots of good running workouts here today!

I got 2.5 easy treadmill miles during lunch with a few short strides/pickups towards the end.  Tomorrow is SRD and packet pickup followed by early bird dinner at 4p.  I'm still praying for a surprise cold front to blow through Chicago Sunday morning, but I'm also working on adjusting my attitude and expectations for warmer weather.

KCRuns

Good morning, hope you’re all well.   6 for me & finishing up my last big week of marathon training.   Taper starts next week!

Hi AMT!  Nice to see you here!

KCRuns

GC, it's been a bit since I've taken a big spill but those "almost" falls happen frequently.  I tend to blame dragging or not picking up my feet (being tired, too sore, mentally detached from the trails...).  I do think about certain sections of trails I'm running and "if I fall here, it's going to be baaaaadd".

3.3mi this morning for me, just a quick shakeout before tomorrow's race.  We've been testing a lot of pastry stuff this week including donuts yesterday so I'm feeling a little squishy.  Looking forward to blowing that out with 30mi tomorrow.  

Good luck tomorrow, Bread!  Can't wait to read your RR!

LRB

Got all my shit done by the middle of the afternoon, so I still had time for a good workout.

Ran about 2 miles, then did skips, then 3 short sprints (100 feet maybe). Waited 2 -3 minutes and did a Yasso 800s workout.

I do it like this, by garmin GPS, not on the track:

10 x (800m w/3min jog)

Avg time for the 800s = 2:59, which is 6:00 minutes / mile (3:44 minutes / km).

I'm happy because in March i did the same workout and my average 800 was 3:05. Of course I was dressed more lightly today Smile

So will 2:59 or 3:05 be the target?

LRB

Did that a bunch myself LRB. I call it, "running out of the fall".   Really tweaks the fast twitchers too.  Gets my hammy to talkin every time.

My actual falls have been award worthy. I'm talking feet forward in the air with ass perpendicular to the ground geezus. I had another where for about 1.7 seconds, I was literally flying through the air like superman! To date, none have occurred while running, but as with anything, I suppose it's only a matter of time before that happens. EEK.