Beginners and Beyond

FriDAILIES for the win! (Read 42 times)

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Dailies

I just got back from the doc and the diagnosis is in. I have patella chondromalacia. That's a big word that means no running for 6-8 weeks. It's basically an overuse injury that I REALLY aggravated on that four mile downhill stretch of a HM I ran three months ago. The doc said I need to start riding a bike or elliptical machines. The good news is that my ACL and miniscus are fine and my joints are fit and strong. Enjoy the miles, I won't be getting any. Dang.

LRB

The doc said I need to start riding a bike or elliptical machines.

So I take it you did not tell him you ran a marathon on it?

It's the best thing in the world though to have an answer though, hopefully you are able to keep your spirit s up. I know not being able to run does a number on you.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

LRB: Actually, I did tell him. He is also a runner and he totally gets it. I told him I ran it super easy and walked some at the end. Then he told me that he ran the LA Marathon with an injury. Like you said, at least I have an answer. If I can get into a local gym I will hit the ellipticals hard so I can get a sweat. Who knows? Maybe I'll even push a few weights. Lol. Smile

Baboon

delicate flower

Hi Dailies

I just got back from the doc and the diagnosis is in. I have patella chondromalacia. That's a big word that means no running for 6-8 weeks. It's basically an overuse injury that I REALLY aggravated on that four mile downhill stretch of a HM I ran three months ago. The doc said I need to start riding a bike or elliptical machines. The good news is that my ACL and miniscus are fine and my joints are fit and strong. Enjoy the miles, I won't be getting any. Dang.

Nice to hear that you've finally got that figured out.  Sucks about 6-8 weeks of no running.  You can get a pretty good workout on the bike and elliptical.  Do hit them hard.  It'll help make your return to running easier.  Bike, elliptical, and weights certainly beats the hell out of being completely sidelined for 6-8 weeks.

OOTB, congrats on the new pooch!  Pic is too small though...we need more!

<3

StepbyStep-SH

Jack - Hope the time off goes quickly for you.

OOTB - She looks so sweet!

12 miles of humid suckfest for me this morning. I realize 75* isn't that bad for some people, but I hate running in any temps over 65*, especially when it is sunny and humid.

And now I'm waiting for someone from the heating/AC company to come and see why there was water under the furnace unit this morning, and why my outside thermostat was giving a reading 10 degrees higher than it really was.

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

LRB

Jack - Hope the time off goes quickly for you.

OOTB - She looks so sweet!

12 miles of humid suckfest for me this morning. I realize 75* isn't that bad for some people, but I hate running in any temps over 65*, especially when it is sunny and humid.

And now I'm waiting for someone from the heating/AC company to come and see why there was water under the furnace unit this morning, and why my outside thermostat was giving a reading 10 degrees higher than it really was.

It's all relative, I would hate running in that as much as you did.

Hip Redux

Hi Dailies

I was diagnosed with that a few decades ago.   My best advice is to see a PT if you can and get on a strength program.   Mine was secondary to patella alta and just plain ol' bad genes.   It is an overuse injury, yes, but also it means there is softening or damage to the cartilage so it is one of those things that you will just need to manage going forward - but totally doable in the grand scheme of injuries.   Every once and a while I need to back off a bit and let things rest...

Good luck Smile

LRB

I was diagnosed with that a few decades ago.  

What, when you were a toddler? 

Hip Redux

What, when you were a toddler? 

Close.  lol   I was 16!

Yes, literally, I have been injured my whole adult life. 

LRB

Close.  lol   I was 16!

Yes, literally, I have been injured my whole adult life. 

I keep thinking you are in your 30's for some reason. I suppose that's not the worst thing.

Hip Redux

I keep thinking you are in your 30's for some reason. I suppose that's not the worst thing.

I am in my 30s for the next year. 

Baboon

delicate flower

Off to do my first ever in the history of history open water swim.

<3

Cyberic

Jack, that sucks, but at least you know what it is, and that takes away some of the guess work.

About 7 miles with some home made Threshold workout I thought of in the car this morning :

WU

1 km T + 2 min MP + 1 km T

1 km jg

1 km T + 2 min MP + 1 km T

1 km jg

1 km HMP

CD

Half Crazy K 2.0

12 x 1/4 mile intervals at the local high school track. Black track + direct sun = miserable workout conditions.

OOTB, nice looking dog!

Baboon, good luck with the open water swim. The thought of that just skeeves me,

Jack K, ditto the though find a good PT.

Baboon

delicate flower

Off to do my first ever in the history of history open water swim.

That went well!  I swam about 20 minutes out, sat on a rock for about 10 minutes and rested, then swam 20 minutes back.  That was nowhere near as difficult as I expected.  I had no problem finishing the swim and really it only took a few minutes to get used to the wetsuit (first time using one).  The wetsuit makes swimming so much easier.  The difference is night and day.

<3