Beginners and Beyond

My first 10K -- Polar Dash, Minneapolis (Read 71 times)

obiebyke

Guys, I did it! 10K! When I got back to my car and unfroze my phone, the weather was -4F with a windchill of -18F. I am an official badass.

I'm not a big person for race reports because I don't remember much. I get tunnel vision. But what I do remember:

I got there with plenty of time. Parked and took a shuttle over to the starting area. The "warming tent" was an empty warehouse with very spaced out heater pole things. NOT EFFECTIVE, guys. Plus, they messed up some bib/chips, so I had to go switch mine out. Not impressed so far. They called us to go to the starting line with 15 minutes to go, so out into the frigid temps I went. My toes were numb. Ouch. I waited for my Garmin to lock on and bounced on my feet. My goal time was 1:15 with a reach goal of 1:12, so I lined up between the 11m/m and 12m/m markers. Before I knew it, time to go!

My toes killed me for the first mile or so. I caught sight of a woman with bright striped knee high socks--stripey socks lady-- running just slightly faster and decided to keep an eye on her. I was running slower than I would've liked as I tried to get my bearings and warm up.

Mile 1: 12:07

I finally warmed up and the first hill came. I have the instinct to power up hills a bit, but I tried to reign myself in so I wouldn't burn out. After all, I've only run this distance once in my life.

Mile 2: 11:42

By this time runners are already cruising the other way and I'm getting my first real urges to walk. Nope! I'm skipping water stops. Who needs frozen water for a 10K? I keep to the left and keep truckin'.

Mile 3: 11:41

Ah, the turnaround! Here we go! I can do this! Now I'm heading back and watching the slower folks bringing up the rear and the 14 milers cruising for a loop. Crazy bastards.

Mile 4: 12:05

Now it starts to get hard. There are a couple hills somewhere in here, one of which I make the mistake of charging and really lose my juice towards the end. But I catch up to stripey socks lady!

Mile 5: 12:17

The last 1.2 feels like FOREVER. Stripey socks lady pulls ahead and I'm holding on for dear life. My left hip flexor starts to tell me what's what a little. Amazingly, my runner's knees and shin splints are silent this whole way.

Mile 6: 12:01

Time to pick it up. I can do this. There's the finish line. I pump my fists for the photographer but he's not even looking. Ha. In I go, across the mat.

Last .2: 1:42

Chip time: 1:13:39. I got a bottle of water, a bag of snacks, my medal, and best of all, a cup of rich hot chocolate. The volunteers and markings and support were great the whole way, despite the unimpressive pre-race.

That's all she wrote! Happy 2014!

Post race

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

redrum

Caretaker/Overlook Hotel

Well done!!  Polar Dash sounds appropriate.

Good thing you didn't lose any toes. 

The older I get, the tighter my threshold for cold/hot gets.  So I can certainly sympathize!

Already a race in the bag & the year's just started!  Congrats!

I'd say you'd have to check w/ Damaris on your BA status, but at -18F, I think it's officially official......you are truly BA!!! 

Randy

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job!  Congrats!

Damaris

Hip Redux

Oh yeah, that qualifies you for badass status.

Great job on your first 10K!

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

First 10K at -18 windchill must be a record.  Great job beating your goal, Obie Badass.

LRB

I am an official badass. 

That's all she wrote!

Word!  

StepbyStep-SH

What a way to kick off the year! I have friends who were there,and loved their frosty photos on FB!

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

happylily

I think it's cool that you made yourself face this race. Most of us do not like racing in those conditions, but you did not let them stop you. I respect that, bravo! Sounds like it was not an easy one, but you did great nonetheless. Congratulations!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

GinnyinPA

Congratulations on getting out there in those conditions, and on achieving your goal.    Next time you do a 10k, it will feel much easier.

music_girl117

Great race report and great race!  I'm jealous that you got hot chocolate at the end; nice!!

PRs:

5k - 22:53  (May 2015)

10k - 50:00 (unofficial; part of 20k race, March 2015); 50:33 (official; July 2016)

HM - 1:48:40  (Apr. 2015)

PADRunner

Congrats, great job!

Pinktastic

Way to go!  I cannot believe you ran in that frozen wonderland, but not only did you run, you also NAILED your goal!   Great job! Obiebyke!

But The Smile That I Sent Out Returned With You.

SheCan

Congratulations, Obie!   Its hard for me to imagine anybody would show up for a race with a -4*F temp.  You really are a badass.  You did great.  Love the smile and the metal!  WTG!

Cherie

"We do not become the people who this world needs simply by turning our backs on anyone we don’t like, trust, or deem healthy enough to be in our presence. "  ---- Shasta Nelson

workinprogress11

Brrrrrrrrrrrr. Congratulations on your first. The next will certainly be warmer.

hog4life

Holy crap that's cold! Congrats. Your splits look pretty darned good for being so cold to start.