Beginners and Beyond

To Boston or not to Boston MonDAILIES (Read 54 times)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

There is nothing like running Boston for me. Even a bad race in Boston is better than any other marathon, as far as the experience goes. The city and its residents will make you feel like a rock star. And the camaraderie between the participants is unequaled. But of course, it's your first BQ, but not your last. You will have other opportunities if 2016 doesn't work for you as far as time commitment and finances. But beer's on me if you do decide to be there. 

I ran 20 miles while in Ottawa this past weekend. It felt looong... SO ran his 5k with his army buddy and his 15 year old DD, so he didn't require my services as a pacer. We're back home now.

I will run some easy miles today.

Forgot to say, hope you had a great race and had fun!

Damaris

happylily

If you have to think too hard, maybe this isn't the time to register. There are many who do not run it the first time so you would not be the first.

I first qualified for Boston in 2010 but I ran my first in 2013, after my 10th BQ. For a long time, I felt that my BQs were not worthy enough of the race. All the talk of old women's standards being too easy sort of seeped into my brain and I started believing it. I only decided to run Boston after I finally BQd with a lot of time to spare. But Cy can be proud of his finish time. BQ -10 on a first attempt is quite impressive.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

happylily

Forgot to say, hope you had a great race and had fun!

I did not race, but I ran outside and it was a beautiful day. Spent a lot of time with friends in pubs and dinners and that was really fun. SO and his buddy ran a 30:00 5k. SO could have done faster, but he had agreed to pace his friend and the only speed his friend knows is 6.2 mph on the TM, so that is exactly what they ran. It was the friend's first ever race and he was really proud of himself. It was nice to see and I was very happy for him, so was SO. The 15 year old DD ran a 32:00 time and I gently admonished her for not beating the men. She promised to train for next year and do better. 

Cyberic

I'm leaning towards registering. Talked to the boss of the house, and she said she was all right with it as long as she came along, and we made the trip for a few days.

It would be a first for me to 'race for fun' as there's no way I'll be able to improve significantly in that short period which includes winter training. I usually race when I think it's time to get a new assessment of my current fitness.

But maybe it would be nice to go into a race with the will to do my best in that race, but not really caring what that best means in actual numbers. Or running and enjoying it instead of racing it, so I'm able to enjoy a few days with the woman in Boston instead of feeling like a human wreck.

happylily

Cy, if you do decide to register today, my advice is to not fool around and look for accommodation right away. Everything goes really quickly and you will be stuck with either very expensive hotels (think $500-$600 a night) or else cheaper places one hour away from downtown...

LRB

I first qualified for Boston in 2010 but I ran my first in 2013, after my 10th BQ. 

10 BQ's in 3 years? Dayum!

10 marathons in 3 years? WTF?? lol

happylily

10 BQ's in 3 years? Dayum!

10 marathons in 3 years? WTF?? lol

And I only ran one marathon in 2010. 

delicate flower

Hell yeah, to Boston!!  If you have that chance, take it.  Not everyone gets the opportunity.

Werd.

'Morning!  My legs are a little achy after yesterday's effort.  I've got a nice, easy 40 minute jog on the schedule later today.  I may go for a swim first...I haven't decided yet but I did pack my stuff.

This is my last week of peak marathon training.  I've got about 65 miles on the schedule in only five days of running.  *sigh*

<3

onemile

I never really wanted to run Boston. I did want to qualify, just to say I did.  But then when I did qualify, I decided to run it for the experience. It was worth it and I don't regret it. I don't have a desire to run it again but I am glad that I did it once.

Like you, I didn't want to put in the training in the winter necessary to PR and really race it well.  So I decided to just do it 'for fun' and did what I considered 'minimum' training but with some good speedwork and workouts.  Then I was feeling fairly fit and decided to race it and ended up pretty much matching my PR. And I was happy with it. I ran a well paced race with a decent time and I didn't train to PR.

Anyway, like Lily says, Boston does a lot to make the runners feel special. If you have any doubt that you might want to do it, I would say register now.  On paper, you should be able to easily re-qualify whenever you want. But you never really know what could happen. What if you got in a car accident and could never run again?  (not to be dramatic... but... )

onemile

Rest day for me.  I am surprisingly sore today.  And I don't know why I am surprised about this.

Mmmmm...beer

Incredible racing everyone!! Congrats, Cy, blue, onemile, D, LRB, and anyone else I missed!!!

I'm sitting on a BQ-11 that I'm not using.  I was hoping to run Boston next year for the first time, but it's just not in the cards right now.  I'll qualify again next year and head north in '17. Smile

Had a great weekend, my third in a row of b2b LRs, feeling really strong.  Paced a friend for a steady 20 miler on Saturday, which was good, kept me from going too fast so I wasn't worn out for Sunday.  Then did 22 yesterday, kept it steady for the first 18, then negative split the last four, 7:55, 7:41, 7:40, 6:41.  Feels really good to be able to drop it down at the end of a 42 mile weekend.  79.9 miles for the week (yes D, my OCD is going crazy lol)

I've said it before, but I have to say it again, Tailwind is awesome.  I think what's impressed me the most is my recovery.  Only thing I can guess is that because I'm not getting as depleted, I'm able to recover faster.  I'm feeling better and recovering faster from b2b LRs, than I was from single LRs.

Hope everyone has a great Monday! Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

bluerun

Super B****

I never really wanted to run Boston. I did want to qualify, just to say I did.  But then when I did qualify, I decided to run it for the experience. It was worth it and I don't regret it. I don't have a desire to run it again but I am glad that I did it once.

Like you, I didn't want to put in the training in the winter necessary to PR and really race it well.  So I decided to just do it 'for fun' and did what I considered 'minimum' training but with some good speedwork and workouts.  Then I was feeling fairly fit and decided to race it and ended up pretty much matching my PR. And I was happy with it. I ran a well paced race with a decent time and I didn't train to PR.

Anyway, like Lily says, Boston does a lot to make the runners feel special. If you have any doubt that you might want to do it, I would say register now.  On paper, you should be able to easily re-qualify whenever you want. But you never really know what could happen. What if you got in a car accident and could never run again?  (not to be dramatic... but... )

That's true for me, too -- I wanted to qualify just to know that I could.  I changed my mind in 2013 and decided that if (ahem, WHEN) I qualify, I will run it.

BTW, onemile -- that PB is awesome. 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

That's true for me, too -- I wanted to qualify just to know that I could.  

I never really thought about qualifying, I always had my heart set on qualifying for New York. I am not sure exactly why that is, it just appealed to me more I guess.

It doesn't really matter anymore anyway though, the chances of me qualifying for NYCM are slim, and none. And slim has left the building. lol

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Hey all, I'll try to make this short. There was quite a few situations that happened yesterday that brought up a bunch of issues from DH, so my life as far as running and lifting. Over the last few months Dorian will wake while I am gone, and usually is upset enough to wake DH which I am sure that is because it takes DH 10 minutes to realize that Dorian is awake and needs some comforting. So pretty much 4-5 days out of the week DH loses a lot of sleep and he is sick of it, which means I will no longer be waking up as early as I have. We did (sort of) work out a time that I might be able to go run, getting up at 6:50 - 7 AM which is usually around the time he is needing to wake up anyways, but I would only be able to get in 3-5 miles if I am lucky. Unfortunately with colder weather coming, my other solution of taking Dorian with me in the afternoons to make up for whatever mileage I lost will shortly be impossible. Being that I won't be able to run a lot or a lot of mileage, I can pretty much say that IMM is out of the question now. And most likely any future marathons or even ultramarathons until Dorian is sleeping even while I am gone.

And since I can only lift around 5 AM, that is no longer on the table, if I am lucky I can find a few workouts I can do at home.

Apparently it is my fault that Dorian is behind, even though he has made huge progress over the last month and I have been trying to work with him, everybody seems to claim that I never work with him and so therefore I am at fault for his speech impairment when it comes to the C's, S and T among a few other letters. I could write a few pages about what's going on, but I just wanted to let you all know that I will be unplugging for a long while, maybe stopping in once a week or something. While I don't feel that my running or working out was getting in my way at work and with my son (though it was affecting my DH's sleep), I do agree that I spend way to much time on the web.

See ya'll around.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

Had a great weekend, my third in a row of b2b LRs, feeling really strong.  Paced a friend for a steady 20 miler on Saturday, which was good, kept me from going too fast so I wasn't worn out for Sunday.  Then did 22 yesterday, kept it steady for the first 18, then negative split the last four, 7:55, 7:41, 7:40, 6:41.  Feels really good to be able to drop it down at the end of a 42 mile weekend.  79.9 miles for the week (yes D, my OCD is going crazy lol)

That is just insaneness! And there is not enough tailwind in the world to help me do that. lol