Beginners and Beyond

To Boston or not to Boston MonDAILIES (Read 54 times)

B-Plus

I'm going, FFS.

Cyberic

For a long time, I felt that my BQs were not worthy enough of the race. All the talk of old women's standards being too easy sort of seeped into my brain and I started believing it. 

The BQ standards are all about statistics IMO. They want to let in so many of each AG. That is why there's a 10 minute jump between M40-44 and M45-49 (got it right today), when the jump is 5 minutes between the younger AG.

Now for women. Yesterday I finished 137th overall, and 133rd in men. So only 4 women overall finished ahead of me. Maybe the ratio wasn't 50% of women in the whole race, but still, my reading of this is that statistically, if you want as many women in your race as men, you have to have different standards. Statistically, men are faster than women.

Mmmmm...beer

NYCM is awesome. It's so well done that you feel like the mass of runners is actually carrying you through the course, to the beat of the chanting from the crowd. I highly recommend it if you ever qualify for it.

Never really thought of it that way.  I just see the pictures of the wall of people filling the street and it doesn't look like fun.  But I do love some good crowd support. Smile

Andrea, like D said, we'll still be here, take care and don't stay gone forever. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

happylily

Never really thought of it that way.  I just see the pictures of the wall of people filling the street and it doesn't look like fun.  But I do love some good crowd support. Smile

Also, in your category, there are much less runners. It's like in Boston: the very very fast runners are in front of the pack and not crowded at all.

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

The BQ standards are all about statistics IMO. They want to let in so many of each AG. That is why there's a 10 minute jump between M40-44 and M45-49 (got it right today), when the jump is 5 minutes between the younger AG.

Now for women. Yesterday I finished 137th overall, and 133rd in men. So only 4 women overall finished ahead of me. Maybe the ratio wasn't 50% of women in the whole race, but still, my reading of this is that statistically, if you want as many women in your race as men, you have to have different standards. Statistically, men are faster than women.

I get a little frustrated thinking of the fact that I finished in the top 7% of my last marathon and it's not good enough for Boston.  Like WTF, man.

<3

happylily

I get a little frustrated thinking of the fact that I finished in the top 7% of my last marathon and it's not good enough for Boston.  Like WTF, man.

Was that top 7% overall, men and women, or top 7% men only? Also, were you top 7% in your AG? If yes, then I agree it must be frustrating for you.

delicate flower

Was that top 7% overall, men and women, or top 7% men only? Also, were you top 7% in your AG? If yes, then I agree it must be frustrating for you.

Top 5.9% AG

Top 11% men

Top 6.7% OA

<3

happylily

Top 5.9% AG

Top 11% men

Top 6.7% OA

Yeah... the fact that ranking at 5.9% in your AG isn't good enough for Boston would upset me as well...

I never really wanted to run Boston. I did want to qualify, just to say I did.  

But you never really know what could happen. What if you got in a car accident and could never run again?  (not to be dramatic... but... )

The first statement is what I used to think. But since read enough people talking about the experience that if I ever did qualify, I would probably go. Also along the lines of the second statement - bird in the hand, make hay while the sun shines, etc. I don't think about  anything like a car accident, but I just assume there is likely to be an injury that will end my running career, or at least my ability to train for & run marathons. There are obviously plenty of old guys still able to do it, but it's a lot to ask of a body, and you just can't be sure you'll hold up.

Dave

RSX

Top 5.9% AG

Top 11% men

Top 6.7% OA

Any of my friends who are borderline run BayState on 10/18 this year. 1 friend in particular has only qualified there

happylily

Any of my friends who are borderline run BayState on 10/18 this year. 1 friend in particular has only qualified there

Because it's an easy course to PR on? What makes it so good?

Cyberic

I just checked on hotels.com  Are they out of their minds? I know what I paid in Seattle and I know what I paid in New Orleans for hotels. So either Boston is a crazy expensive city, or the hotels boost their prices for that weekend. Now the woman's idea of spending 3-4 nights in Boston is no longer appealing to me. And the idea of running their stupid race just dropped a few points on my decision making list.

delicate flower

I just checked on hotels.com  Are they out of their minds? I know what I paid in Seattle and I know what I paid in New Orleans for hotels. So either Boston is a crazy expensive city, or the hotels boost their prices for that weekend. Now the woman's idea of spending 3-4 nights in Boston is no longer appealing to me. And the idea of running their stupid race just dropped a few points on my decision making list.

Both.

<3

happylily

Have you ever been to NYC? 

bluerun

Super B****

Have you ever been to NYC? 

That's what I was going to say. 

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog