Beginners and Beyond

To Boston or not to Boston MonDAILIES (Read 54 times)

onemile

I just checked on hotels.com  Are they out of their minds? I know what I paid in Seattle and I know what I paid in New Orleans for hotels. So either Boston is a crazy expensive city, or the hotels boost their prices for that weekend. Now the woman's idea of spending 3-4 nights in Boston is no longer appealing to me. And the idea of running their stupid race just dropped a few points on my decision making list.

Have you checked thru marathontours.com? I have heard this is the best way.

I reserved my hotel a full year in advance, right after Boston 2014 when hotels first opened availability. And got the bargain rate of $199/night.

happylily

Eric, check VRBO and airbnb. I book my apartment through a Boston B&B site. The place is fully equipped, so I eat a lot of meals inside (breakfasts, etc...), and has a separate bedroom and a living room with pull out couch (if you want to bring the kids). It's a 5 minute walk to the finish line in a great neighborhood (think Le Plateau). But expect to pay $200 a night minimum. Montreal hotels aren't that cheap anymore, you know...

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

delicate flower

My legs are dead and sore, I did not sleep that much, my appetite has not come back, and yet I have to decide if I want to register for Boston today. Life is cruel.

By the way, this is unfortunate.  One of the post-marathon joys is the guilt-free gorging.

<3

B-Plus

I'm in.

bluerun

Super B****

Someone just asked me if I wanted to join a particular charity team for the Miami Marathon.

The minimum fundraising requirement is $3200.

I mean, I get it, it's for charity and all, but just... no.  For $3200, I could not only get myself to Miami and stay in a lovely hotel, I could also rent a car and stay a few extra days and finally go diving.  Eesh.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

cjones1

So being a slow guy who only runs HM's, I'm sure saving myself a crap ton of money by not being able to go to Boston. Smile

I ran 4.5 today.  First run in 11 days.  It was comical.  Although, it was 55 degrees, which was awesome.

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Someone just asked me if I wanted to join a particular charity team for the Miami Marathon.

I mean, I get it, it's for charity and all, but just... no.  For $3200, I could not only get myself to Miami and stay in a lovely hotel, I could also rent a car and stay a few extra days and finally go diving.  Eesh.

You know the race is usually hot?  You should do it. Wink

Damaris

bluerun

Super B****

You know the race is usually hot?  You should do it. Wink

Pity I don't travel for races.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

RSX

Because it's an easy course to PR on? What makes it so good?

Flat and fast. Any top 10 fastest course list on RW or wherever usually includes it. It has maybe 1,500 run the full in a small city but people travel to come here. For New Englanders it wouldn't be a long drive. The negative for some is 2 loops, and it's an hour from Boston.

Cyberic

I'm in.

Cool!

Lily, 200$ a night is fine. On hotels.com it's more like 500-600$ per night. The woman started looking on AirB&B and found something cool for 200$ a night. We're gonna look around some more before we book, because there's not always a cancellation refund with these things. Injuries happen...

I wonder if my September 20th race will still be good for 2017? I'm kind of rushed into the 2016 race, and I am not sure I feel like going or not.

And appetite is coming back. This is going to be fun!

workinprogress11

I think it's hard for those of us who aren't fast enough to qualify on our first try to relate to your indecision. I'm going to have to fight, scratch and claw to be able to qualify so if I ever do, you can be sure I'm going because I will never want to work that hard again.  You obviously have been genetically gifted with some speed so will have lots of opportunities to qualify barring the aforementioned injury, car accident etc.... Hotels are only going to get more expensive.  Every day is a crap shoot. You never know what could happen. If it is something you wouldn't regret not doing if something happened, then don't do it.  If there's even a chance you would regret not doing it should something happen to make you forever unable to do it, then you should sign up.

LRB

That's also the temperature of the race. lol

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am never qualifying so that takes away any decision.

Back from my asthma doctor. Breathing capacity is similar to before Paris or a bit higher. 67%.  And that's probably as high as it's ever going to get for my small airways.  Sigh.

Damaris

I wonder if my September 20th race will still be good for 2017? 

Yes it is.

Dave

I think it's hard for those of us who aren't fast enough to qualify on our first fifth try to relate to your indecision. I'm going to have to fight, scratch and claw to be able to qualify so if I ever do, you can be sure I'm going because I will never want to work that hard again.  You obviously have been genetically gifted with some speed so will have lots of opportunities to qualify barring the aforementioned injury, car accident etc.... Hotels are only going to get more expensive.  Every day is a crap shoot. You never know what could happen. If it is something you wouldn't regret not doing if something happened, then don't do it.  If there's even a chance you would regret not doing it should something happen to make you forever unable to do it, then you should sign up.

fixed 

Guilt trip much? I can tell you are a mom. 

Dave