Beginners and Beyond

Where are the WednesDAILIES? (Read 49 times)

adkkev

Phil ... nice pics!  Don't you have any "go pro" videos to share?  Especially with that run ...

DavePNW

SRD for me. Speed work yesterday that I forgot to report. 12 x 400m with 400m recovery and a mile warm up and cool down per Hanson's. It about killed me. I KNEW I would hate real speed work.

That's too bad...when I started up Hansons (and intervals) for the first time last summer, I found I really got into it. It was hard work, but seemed to go by a lot quicker than an easy run of the same distance. Of course it did go by quicker time-wise, but also more variety = more interesting. I was doing them at the track, and I really looked forward to those days. Made me a bit sad when it came time to switch over to the "Strength" sessions.

Maybe you are doing them too fast? I suppose if you were able to get through them, you were not. Of course it should get harder moving to the longer repeat distances. But maybe not as much as you might expect - I found doing 12 intervals added some mental challenge, and in some sense it was easier to get through the workouts with longer repeats but less of them.

And as LRB says - it ought to pay off! Also as a warning: you might find after a while of this, your easy paces actually getting slower...I think that means the training is working!

Dave

onemile

That's too bad...when I started up Hansons (and intervals) for the first time last summer, I found I really got into it. It was hard work, but seemed to go by a lot quicker than an easy run of the same distance. Of course it did go by quicker time-wise, but also more variety = more interesting. I was doing them at the track, and I really looked forward to those days. Made me a bit sad when it came time to switch over to the "Strength" sessions.

Maybe you are doing them too fast? I suppose if you were able to get through them, you were not. Of course it should get harder moving to the longer repeat distances. But maybe not as much as you might expect - I found doing 12 intervals added some mental challenge, and in some sense it was easier to get through the workouts with longer repeats but less of them.

And as LRB says - it ought to pay off! Also as a warning: you might find after a while of this, your easy paces actually getting slower...I think that means the training is working!

Yes, to all of this.  I used to think I hated speed work but it really does make it less boring and make the run go by fast.  I now dread longer easy runs more.

I don't remember the 12x400 being overly difficult but it is a lot of repeats and mentally hard to think about.  But if it had been my first real speed workout I think I probably would have found it pretty hard.  I think I started with something shorter/easier.

Ric-G

5 miles this morning. heal up lily...more great pics baboon...have a great day all!

marathon pr - 3:16

LRB

I don't remember the 12x400 being overly difficult but it is a lot of repeats and mentally hard to think about.  But if it had been my first real speed workout I think I probably would have found it pretty hard.  I think I started with something shorter/easier.

My first foray into speed work was 5 x 1000's w/400 jogs and I didn't even have an assigned pace, I just ran them faster than I normally would run. Yes, they sucked. lol

To me, speed work is totally a mind game where I say to myself a set of 400's at mile pace is not so bad because despite the fast pace it's only 400 meters. A set of 1200's at tempo pace is not so bad because despite the longer distance it's only 10k pace, and so on.

Having done a million variations of workouts I think "R" pace is still my fave.

It took some time but I came to appreciate tempo paced runs and I view them as very necessary for race success.

Marathon pace totally rocks and is best when I am not training for a marathon, oddly.

VO2 max is probably my least favorite pace to train at and can seriously kiss my tail. 

Little Blue

4 easy miles, plus 4 walking with my friend.  Chilly breeze @ 40 and sunshine.

cjones1

6m easy in the dark and cold this morning.

My first post!  So this is what it's like to come out from behind the bushes.

PRs:

5k - 20:51 - 9/5/15

10k - 47:00 - 5/25/15

15k - 1:10:19 - 11/21/15

13.1 - 1:42:25- 4/25/15

26.2 - TBD (someday)

MarjorieAnn3137

Run to live; live to run

4.2 for me today

Marjorie

LRB

It's like taking a load off, literally. lol

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Dailies.

My 9 miles tempo run went very well yesterday.  I averaged 7:23 for the 5 mile push, 7:59 including the 4 miles of warm up and cool down.  5 recovery miles later.

Werd.

Little Blue

Welcome out into the daylight!

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Welcome!

Nice pics Baboon.

Speedy running there JK.

I did 10k on the TM, mostly easy except a fast finish.

- Andrew

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Welcome, c!

Damaris

From the Internet.

As always happens when I'm sort of-injured, I have approximately zero desire to run right now. Not sure what to do with myself. I did try to get out for a bit today, made an older pair of shoes into screw shoes and wanted to try them out. My street was plowed so badly that I was still rolling ankles and stumbling all over the place so I came back inside before I even broke a sweat. The shoes were great on the few patches of packed snow I encountered, felt just as stable/secure as dry pavement. Treadmill city for the next few days - since there will be no hills I may even be able to get in more than 2 miles at a time.

StepbyStep-SH

Getting an MRI is a little like being frozen in suspended animation, surrounded by the sounds of a sci-fi space battle.
                                On a related note, nodding off in the middle of those sound effects might be a sign you need a little more sleep. Zzzzz

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.