Beginners and Beyond

Up too early WednesDAILIES (Read 34 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Fred...You're right, having too many shoes to choose from can be a real problem! I used to feel like I could just run in anything, but lately I've had more issues finding ones I'm really happy in. I'm entirely in your camp on the shoe rotation, even though it can be tough to find a bunch that make me happy. Good luck making the switch over to some different shoes for speedwork. I hope you'll like the results. Just remember to ease the mileage into them and you should be fine.  Also, you're not the first person I've heard mention NB lately...makes me want to find a pair to check out!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Some people have an aversion to speed work, so I would say run a lap then jog a lap, leaving the words as fast as you can out of it. That can be determined by the individual.

Hills are great when you're used to them, when you're not, they're an injury waiting to happen. So I would the first session to assess where people are, then devise a workout based on the information gleaned and do hills on its own day.

I feel like we said the same things, but you did it in fewer words. You win.

KCRuns

Wow, y'all are full of great ideas this morning! Thank you!  And keep 'em coming!

I should also add that they are not new to the idea of speedwork, they just don't do the tempo runs and longer interval type workouts that most people here do on a regular basis.  We frequently take turns at "run as hard as you can down the block and jog back to the group" sprint type stuff and there is a nice hill on one of our routes that they all like to do and sometimes we do a "run as fast as you can around the park".  But it is a smart idea to change my phrasing so that nobody is going all out and burning out quickly.

I like the idea of speeding up a little every 100 meters and then walking to the hill.  That would be a good first track workout. And easy for everyone to adjust to fit their own paces.  And then we can incorporate some other stuff next time.  The dice workout sounds fun, too!  I might try that on my own sometime for fun!

DavePNW

SIAR - I'm retiring my Brooks Ravenna 8 shoes.  I'm not getting another pair of Ravennas as I found they tended to be tight across the top of my foot (I believe the technical term is not enough volume).  When I tried on Brooks Adrenalines I had the same problem, so it's something about Brooks shoes and my feet.  

I have been exclusively a Brooks guy for the last 5 years, or most of my running career. I had to quit Ravennas for the exact same reason after going through 9 pairs of them, but it happened with the model change from 6 to 7. I continue to be OK with Adrenalines. I switched from Ravennas to Ghosts, and they are now my favorite shoe. They are neutral and I'd always worn support shoes, but it didn't cause any problems. And I found them to be exceptionally roomy in the toebox. You might give them a try, unless you are certain you can't go neutral.

Dave

KC- I wouldn’t go doing anything all out. Too risky for pulled muscles and such. What about something simple like 400s @ 5k-interval effort?

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

You might give them a try, unless you are certain you can't go neutral.

Dave - I appreciate the suggestion. Before getting my newest pair I had the folks at the store film me on the treadmill.  I don't pronate nearly as much as I did a few years ago, but in a neutral shoe I'm still going a bit far.  With continued running, I may get to neutral in another year or so, but for now it seems support is still the better option for me.

SIAR - Yes, breaking in the new shoes gradually, especially the trainers I'm not used to, is definitely the way to go.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
              10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

LRB

I feel like we said the same things, but you did it in fewer words. You win.

It would be the only thing I'd beat you in, besides drinking wine. Because nobody out-wines me. Not even Willie the wino.

LRB

I should also add that they are not new to the idea of speedwork, they just don't do the tempo runs and longer interval type workouts that most people here do on a regular basis.  We frequently take turns at "run as hard as you can down the block and jog back to the group" sprint type stuff and there is a nice hill on one of our routes that they all like to do and sometimes we do a "run as fast as you can around the park".

Oh. Well forget everything I said then.

As far as tempo runs, they suck. They're a necessary evil though so runs of 3 x 1 mile, 3 x 10 minutes, 3 x 15 minutes, 3 x 1.5 miles or 3 x 2 miles is a good way to break that feeling of woefulness. lol

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

It would be the only thing I'd beat you in, besides drinking wine. Because nobody out-wines me. Not even Willie the wino.

Sad but true, you would definitely out wine me. One of these days I'm going to find the time and energy to drink more, I swear I am. Maybe I just need to take after Willie the Wino and buy some more paper lunch bags...no need to worry about time constraints when you can go mobile!

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Oh. Well forget everything I said then.

As far as tempo runs, they suck. They're a necessary evil though so runs of 3 x 1 mile, 3 x 10 minutes, 3 x 15 minutes, 3 x 1.5 miles or 3 x 2 miles is a good way to break that feeling of woefulness. lol

Why do you tempt me out of base building with those pretty little runs! I may actually start to incorporate bits and pieces of things like that after Burning River to be honest...just some informal, faster running would probably help to start to build the body up for more structured training.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Question for the group.  I am now the leader of my Monday night group and they want to try new things beyond just our usual easy neighborhood run.  So, next week we are going to meet at the track, which also has a conveniently placed big grassy hill next to it.  What would be a good track workout for a group of people who don't really do formal speedwork?  Something that would be challenging, but also fun.  I was sort of thinking warm up, run 1 lap as fast as you can, jog a lap, go run up the hill 2x, then repeat a few times.  Anyone here have some fun ideas?  We usually do 3-4 miles total and have some faster and some slower runners.  I figured a track workout would let everyone go at their own pace, but still get a good workout done.

MTA: Apparently the GPS does improve.  According to the manual, every time I sync with the Garmin app, it downloads more satellite data to improve the signal.  So maybe I just need to be patient.

For something different and fun, I'd have them pair up and chase the bunny.  Have one runner go at an easy pace (emphasis on easy) 1/2 way around the track, then the second runner has to chase and catch them.  Then once they're caught, switch.

My new Fenix5 has been horrible with the GPS.  So bad, I switched back to my 220.  I probably need to be more patient as my runs are geographically all over the place.  Thanks for the update on yours.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

For something different and fun, I'd have them pair up and chase the bunny.  Have one runner go at an easy pace (emphasis on easy) 1/2 way around the track, then the second runner has to chase and catch them.  Then once they're caught, switch.

My new Fenix5 has been horrible with the GPS.  So bad, I switched back to my 220.  I probably need to be more patient as my runs are geographically all over the place.  Thanks for the update on yours.

Another fun variation of this is to pair like-paced runners and have them run laps in opposite directions. The expectation is that they'll finish at the same time, but it can lead to some pretty fun battles down the last 100.

As for the Fenix5, I'd say definitely hang in there. I've had mine since the start of the year, and it's been quite good for me. I have heard some bad things about switching to the ultratrac mode, which does have me worried a little as I'll need to use that to keep the watch running for my 100.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Another fun variation of this is to pair like-paced runners and have them run laps in opposite directions. The expectation is that they'll finish at the same time, but it can lead to some pretty fun battles down the last 100.

As for the Fenix5, I'd say definitely hang in there. I've had mine since the start of the year, and it's been quite good for me. I have heard some bad things about switching to the ultratrac mode, which does have me worried a little as I'll need to use that to keep the watch running for my 100.

Nice idea!  Thanks on the advice on the Fenix5.  What 100 are you doing?

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Nice idea!  Thanks on the advice on the Fenix5.  What 100 are you doing?

Burning River, in Ohio. It's my local one, so it's easy to put on the calendar. Also, I'd like some revenge at it after having dropped at mile 76 two years back. I had a really good showing in the Back 50 race there last year, so now I just need to put the front and the back together and I'll be good to go! Having completed a different 100 last year, I feel better about knowing what my body is going to experience throughout the day/night. Have you done either Mohican or Burning River in Ohio?

Half Crazy K 2.0

KC, if you have lots of different paces, what about doing intervals based on time? If you have a really big range of paces (like 6mm-12mm, then the slower runners could be spending 50-100% longer at a harder pace.