Beginners and Beyond

Penguin knows Thursday (Read 16 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

photo thursday_zps9a4d6142.png

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

4 miles for me  this morning.  Humid as all get-out and high dew-point.   Sweating like crazy and my second mile my back started doing some cramp-thing a bit.  I stopped and stretched a bit and felt a 'pop'...and then it felt just a tad sore, but mostly fine and I was able to run with no discomfort.  Don't know what the heck I did to my back...things like this are always happening with this stupid spinal arthritis.  I count my blessings though, it could be a lot worse than it is.  At least I can still stay fairly active, unlike a lot of folks with back problems.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning. Too tired to run this morning before working from home so Pilates and 10 with 6 at MP tonight.

Damaris

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all.  On the plan for today is 5 miles.  My knee/ankle have been feeling a bit funny this morning (not acute pain) so hopefully that'll work itself out on the run.  Other than that more ankle PT exercises are on tap. Maybe I'll take an epsom salt bath to help with a bit of the swelling afterwards.  Happy Thursday all!

Scotty - my uncle and his family live in San Antonio.  When is the best time for a quick weekend visit (weather-wise)?  Perhaps I could run a 5k or something while I'm down there (and maybe rope my one cousin into doing it with me)

D - good luck with Pilates and 10 tonight :-)

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

tracilynn

Rest day for me or I should say NRRD (non running rest day)  Where is that list of Abbreviations someone posted not too long ago?  ha

Im reading "anatomy for runners"  He has different tests to tell you what body part you need to work on to prevent injuries.  I failed badly on test 8= hip/glute strength.  I guess I will do some exercises today to help with that.

Our cold front is coming soon with a drop of lows 25-30 degrees!  YESSSS!  Hopefully this cold snap will make the Leaves in the Smokies turn lots of beautiful colors before our trip there late next week!

~~~~~~~

Traci

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Traci: I am starting to feel like you used to; this running crap is just not for me. What is this "Anatomy for Runners?"

Scotty: Good work on the four miles. I hope the "pop" was nothing.

Hi D, sapf, and all other Pens.

Rest day for me and it could be two.  I am starting to feel some pain again, dammit, and I am not happy.I have a massage scheduled for Monday so hopefully that will help. I may be looking at an extended layoff if this stuff doesn't heal. I am effing sick of it. I am pissed because less than ten months ago I ran a 3:24 marathon and now it seems I can barely go three miles. Damn, and we are looking at triple digit temps again for the next two or three days.

tracilynn

jack, that sucks!  Believe me.  I know it sucks!  Is it still the PF?  where is the pain?

Anatomy for Runners by Jay Dicharry, really interesting and very technical.   I decided to buy it after reading Oski's gait analysis thread.

some highlights from his book:

your normal standing posture, postural alignment is REALLY important and whole foundation of your running form.

rotating shoes does not extend their life

go zero drop, gradually and minimal shoe

work on stabilizing muscle groups like the hips, glutes, pelvis, balance on one leg etc

the flexibility of your big toe and ankle is really important

break up scar tissue when injured so you heal correctly

nsaids are bad news

and a million other things 

~~~~~~~

Traci

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

We will try a short run this afternoon, but rain is on the way.  Plan B is the health club Sad

Hope the back is better Scott.

Have a nice run tonight, D.

Hope the Knankle is okay, sapf.

Strengthen those glutes, Traci.  Thanks for the anatomy lesson.

Sorry the pain is back, Jack.  Take care of yourself...have a Sierra Nevada.

Still no sign of Cherie?

Have a great Thriday !!

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Traci: The piriformis is still there in the right cheek and possibly in the left as well. The achilles pain was gone and is now back, but to make it worse, it causing some heel pain and just some general discomfort in my foot. I am going to see if I can find that book.

Jerry: If I have too many I will get a belly.

GinnyinPA

Scotty - sorry about the back pain, but good that you were able to pop it back in place.

Damaris - I hope you get your energy back for this evening's run.

sapf - I hope your knee/ankle calm down.  It's always scary after an injury when you start feeling twinges of pain.

tracilynn - hurray for the cold front.  I've been seeing warnings about a big storm front that's supposed to be crossing the country this week and wondered if it was going to affect any of the racers this weekend.

Jack - have you talked to a PT about what you can do?  Hopefully the massage will help.

Jerry - I hope the rain holds off for your run later.

AFM:  I'm still stiff from yesterday's speedwork, so will either do a few easy miles running or go for a short hike.

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Scotty - sorry about the back pain, but good that you were able to pop it back in place.

Damaris - I hope you get your energy back for this evening's run.

sapf - I hope your knee/ankle calm down.  It's always scary after an injury when you start feeling twinges of pain.

tracilynn - hurray for the cold front.  I've been seeing warnings about a big storm front that's supposed to be crossing the country this week and wondered if it was going to affect any of the racers this weekend.

Jack - have you talked to a PT about what you can do?  Hopefully the massage will help.

Jerry - I hope the rain holds off for your run later.

AFM:  I'm still stiff from yesterday's speedwork, so will either do a few easy miles running or go for a short hike.

Ginny: No, I'm not sure how to go about that. I have never seen a "real" PT, just my massage guy. I guess I need to get a referral from my doctor and go from there. I am pretty sure my insurance will cover it but what I don't want to hear is "take some time off and ice it" type of thing. I just want to know exactly what the heck these injuries are and how I can heal.

tracilynn

Traci: The piriformis is still there in the right cheek and possibly in the left as well. The achilles pain was gone and is now back, but to make it worse, it causing some heel pain and just some general discomfort in my foot. I am going to see if I can find that book.

Jerry: If I have too many I will get a belly.

oh thats right.  I had piriformis once and it was so painful and achy.  I hated that.

This book is "okay"  (Anatomy for Runners)  The book is a little annoying because there is no index.  You can't look up "Achilles" and quickly find info about it despite him talking at length about Achilles stuff.  He also talked a little about piriformis but I can't find it.  He has his tests numbered but then when you go to the table to figure out what exercises to do they are not numbered and you have to figure it out.  There are a couple of typos too, spelling typos... like who edited this book?  anyway, lots of good info in it but it couldn't have been organized better.

Oh found it, this is what he says about Piriformis:

it is better to mobilize this muscle as opposed to stretching it.  Stretching it can increase compression on the sciatic.  Place a LAX ball on the floor and lower yourself onto the ball put pressure on most sensitive spot to free up kinked tissue.

hope you get it figured out

~~~~~~~

Traci

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Traci: I'm guessing that it probably one of those "self-published" things. It sounds like it was not not edited at all. That makes me want to quit my job and become an editor for people like that.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Morning all.  On the plan for today is 5 miles.  My knee/ankle have been feeling a bit funny this morning (not acute pain) so hopefully that'll work itself out on the run.  Other than that more ankle PT exercises are on tap. Maybe I'll take an epsom salt bath to help with a bit of the swelling afterwards.  Happy Thursday all!

Scotty - my uncle and his family live in San Antonio.  When is the best time for a quick weekend visit (weather-wise)?  Perhaps I could run a 5k or something while I'm down there (and maybe rope my one cousin into doing it with me)

D - good luck with Pilates and 10 tonight :-)

Our 'coldest' months of the year are Dec, Jan, February...with Feb usually being the coldest.  That being said, we get only the 'occasional' cold snaps, icy rain, etc, and they usually don't last very long, just a matter of a few days or so.   Our average temps in the winter months usually range from high 30's/low 40s to mid 60s for the highs.   April is a nice month to be here...and April also is the month for Fiesta San Antonio - http://www.fiesta-sa.org/events/2014/fiesta%C2%AE-2015  - 10 days of PARTY!    Lots of events going on, including races.  The last weekend of Fiesta, you can do the Fiesta Missions 10K/5K (route goes near the old 17th century Spanish Missions) and then the same evening do the 2.6 mile Fiesta Fandango Fun Run - basically you run the parade route in front of thousands of cheering spectators, right before the Fiesta Flambeau parade starts.  It's a lot of fun and lots of crazy costumes.

Check this calendar out for running events in our area:  www.centexruns.com

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I am jealous of your Winters, Scotty.  My Winter was in the 80s. 

Damaris