Beginners and Beyond

Fat Boy WednesDAILIES (Read 40 times)

KCRuns

Fellow introvert here.  I mostly run alone, it is valuable me time.  However, I do really enjoy my Monday night group runs (smallish size group).  It took a year after I officially joined them to work up the courage to show up for a run.  But now I look forward to it. And I frequently do my long runs with my SIL, though we don't stay together the whole time so I do get some me time even with a running buddy.

3.6 on the TM.  I had a few walking breaks early in the run to calm the coughing, but I eventually found a very slow jogging pace that I could maintain without a coughing fit.   

KC, that sucks on the lingering cough.  Fingers crossed it goes away quickly.

I guess it's not so much that I want or need people to run with, as you all know, I get out there most of the time just fine and dandy by myself.  And I suspect this will probably (if these people are cool, and if the time/place works ok for my schedule) be a second Wednesday run.  I usually do speed on Wednesday, so this would be chill whatever double.  They only do 3-6 miles on the Wednesday, which is not enough for me to count on it being enough miles for my preferences.

I'm not paying to join until I've tried it out at least once.  I want to see if there are any people at my easy pace, otherwise it's a total waste of time, and I'd be better off finding a spin class or yoga or some other shit.  This is less about running for me and more about finding some friends who share a common interest (obsession?).  I don't race that often, and I don't have any RB friends who are similar pace and/or not flaky AF nearby.

This may be a total bust, but it's worth a try.

And OMG, Whiskers, yes to all that crap.  SAHMs vs. working moms; boobs vs. formula; extended rear facing; organic; gluten; vaccines...  and you live here, the obsession with looks is beyond the pale.  I'm stuck in the OC/Newport Beach bubble, and have to field "suggestions" on the regular that I should get some lipo-sculpting on my inner thighs so I can achieve the supposedly universally desired thigh gap, or maybe I need a nose job.  FTS.  There are zero safe subjects with competitive mothers.

Now if there was a mom group that met once a week to get hammered on martinis, eat nachos, and bitch about what asshole thing our kids did that week, that's a group I could get behind.

Baboon

delicate flower

I Ran.  Tempo run on a hill route.  60 minutes, 8.4 miles.  That was tough.  Good run though, and the fastest I ever ran the route by 90 seconds.

<3

DavePNW

That looks painful 

Awful. I'm a wreck.

Dave

RunningOnSand

And OMG, Whiskers, yes to all that crap.  SAHMs vs. working moms; boobs vs. formula; extended rear facing; organic; gluten; vaccines...  and you live here, the obsession with looks is beyond the pale.  I'm stuck in the OC/Newport Beach bubble, and have to field "suggestions" on the regular that I should get some lipo-sculpting on my inner thighs so I can achieve the supposedly universally desired thigh gap, or maybe I need a nose job.  FTS.  There are zero safe subjects with competitive mothers.

Now if there was a mom group that met once a week to get hammered on martinis, eat nachos, and bitch about what asshole thing our kids did that week, that's a group I could get behind.

I meant to respond but had forgotten--thanks for the reminder, LM. Whiskers, my jaw dropped when I read that your neighbor said that to you. Holy shiz.   For the life of me I really don't think I've ever purposefully excluded someone. I have a general belief that most people are self-conscious and want to belong, and therefore I usually go out of my way to make people feel at home/comfortable/etc (psychopaths and needy people, not so much Wink ). Anyway, wow. I'm sorry about that for you. LM, sign me up for the martini drinking, nacho eating bitch fest mom's group. I'm down.

RunningOnSand

Awful. I'm a wreck.

Sad Sorry dude.

onemile

Awful. I'm a wreck.

have you considered taking a season off, from running marathons?

Half Crazy K 2.0

6 miles. 3 of them faster, kinda all over the place, 2 slower than HM pace, 1 faster. Traded the ever present wind for rain. The $20 rain jacket I got from Costco seemed to work ok, probably would have been better off with short sleeves under it though.

Coastal

Damn.  Those So. Cal. neighborhoods sound rough.

No offense.   

Friends?  Aren't they those people who post about running on online forums?

LM:  My limited experience is that those who used to hang out on RWOL or over here on RA aren't your average runners.  You might be one of the most knowledgeable in the group.

A running group would be fun but we probably couldn't find enough runners to have a group run around where I live.  Pretty much everyone would be at their own pace so we'd be running alone after the first mile.  I belong to Roadrunners and volunteering seems to be a good way to make runner friends, although I live pretty far away from their events (60-80 miles or more) so volunteering doesn't happen very often.  It's a good group of people, though.

Got in 7 on the TM.  Might have developed a blister in a bad spot though.  Had to stop and adjust my sock due to a hot spot that seems to be more than that.

From the Internet.

Omg move to the Boston area and we can be BFFs

From the Internet.

I got on my bike and only starting and stopping the darn thing terrify me! Going is fun. Going fast will be even funner! Didn't do anything substantial, just a couple laps around the neighborhood to start getting comfortable again. 4 miles after that and feeling good!

DavePNW

have you considered taking a season off, from running marathons?

No. Too stupid.

Dave

GinnyinPA

I'm a total introvert. I do some runs with the Beer Runners, because I think it's good for me to have some IRL friends, but I usually end up running alone when I'm with them because my pace is too slow for the fast group and too fast for the newbies. Sometimes it just doesn't seem worth the effort, especially when they are running in the dark and I can run in the afternoon in daylight.

6.2 on the TM, since it was another cold drizzly day.

onemile

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

7 on the TM and weights.  It was 75F outside but 30mph so FTS.  My lungs are already suffering from allergies; don't need to kill myself.

Damaris