Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES (Read 47 times)

bluerun

Super B****

Good luck tonight. What is the expected temp?

80°... so not THAT much cooler than my last attempt.  But the exciting part is that it's only supposed to be 41% humidity!!  I'll believe that when I see it.

My pelvis is being annoying, though.  I'll thank it to STFU.  (Seriously -- it's been over three years and I still live in terror of another fracture.  This is tiring!!)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

delicate flower

That's the rumor, but many of us like to see that target number.

I have been coming around though to the effort is what matters camp so either one works for me.

All of that.  My paces yesterday were about 15-20 seconds off pace from where I'd like them, which is about right given the conditions, but I am happy that my effort was there, getting my HR up over 170.  I didn't quit the hard effort, which is one of the goals of the workout.

The last time I trained for an October marathon was in 2012 and I sort of forgot how tough these summer workouts in the heat are.  Last year's fall marathon was in November, so the bulk of my training was in September/October.  I know that when those cooler temperatures finally get here, it's going to feel like we were shot out of a cannon.    

<3

LRB

Oh, no, I didn't mean blue's temp. I'll let her answer that.

Pay me no attention, I'm an idiot.

I can get down in 73 degrees if the sun is not shining, otherwise it's gonna be ugly!

I think it's something like a 2 - 3 % effect on effort for every 10 degrees above 50F, but I would assume length and intensity of the workout plays a part in that as well.

So maybe intervals would be less affected than say a tempo or marathon paced run.

onemile

Pay me no attention, I'm an idiot.

I can get down in 73 degrees if the sun is not shining, otherwise it's gonna be ugly!

I think it's something like a 2 - 3 % effect on effort for every 10 degrees above 50F, but I would assume length and intensity of the workout plays a part in that as well.

So maybe intervals would be less affected than say a tempo or marathon paced run.

Say hypothetically, it was 7x1 mile at hmp with 2 minute recoveries. 

onemile

80°... so not THAT much cooler than my last attempt.  But the exciting part is that it's only supposed to be 41% humidity!!  I'll believe that when I see it.

My pelvis is being annoying, though.  I'll thank it to STFU.  (Seriously -- it's been over three years and I still live in terror of another fracture.  This is tiring!!)

Ick

LRB

Say hypothetically, it was 7x1 mile at hmp with 2 minute recoveries. 

If the target was 7:05, I would be more than happy to be within 10 seconds or so of that. But with the recoveries, and the fact that the intervals are only a mile (only a mile? Yeah because I'm not the one doing them) you might rock them.

LRB

Major injuries are tough to forget about.

LRB

If the target was 7:05, I would be more than happy to be within 10 seconds or so of that...

Should say I wouldn't be happy but I would take it.

Zelanie

Hey guys.  Track went pretty well last night, especially now that you reminded me about those summer temps!   If I were going to run a B+ 200, though, I'd have to start the next one before I finished the first!  Now how would you program that?   The workout was a shot one, but I made up for it by adding in lots of slow miles.

Tonight I have 6ish with the group, but if I can figure out a way to make it 8, I will.

onemile

Should say I wouldn't be happy but I would take it.

Okay but the real question was... is that better than running them on the TM (or indoor track) where I could do 7:00?

Cyberic

20 km with 15 at MP at the track (12.4 miles with 9.1 at MP).

Used my Adios 2, and they felt great, at the track again. I have yet to try them on asphalt. They don't feel good during wu and cd, but feel great during the MP part. It might be the pace, or it might be the fact that it's a wu and a cd, and both suck. I'm putting my money on the pace though.

It was quiet at the track this morning, so I ran many laps in lane 1: my 610 consitantly registered 410m / laps. That is 2.5% long, FFS. Is there any setting to fix that?

Half Crazy K 2.0

Hey guys.  Track went pretty well last night, especially now that you reminded me about those summer temps!   If I were going to run a B+ 200, though, I'd have to start the next one before I finished the first!  Now how would you program that?   The workout was a shot one, but I made up for it by adding in lots of slow miles.

Tonight I have 6ish with the group, but if I can figure out a way to make it 8, I will.

My B+ 200s are 1 minute hard, one minute recovery. I cover about 200m in that time. To mimic the time on his workout, maybe 30-40 second work and equal recovery?

onemile

It was quiet at the track this morning, so I ran many laps in lane 1: my 610 consitantly registered 410m / lap. That is 2.5% long, FFS. Is there any setting to fix that?

I think it just comes down to the fact that Garmins are always a little off when you go around corners. And the track has four of them.

Cyberic

Okay but the real question was... is that better than running them on the TM (or indoor track) where I could do 7:00?

My wild guess on this would be to do a bit of both: I would think running at real target speed might be a little better for the muscle memory stuff, but running in the heat/humidity certainly tests one's will and stamina.

LRB

Physiologically speaking I do not know, and I am not sure this question has ever been answered definitively.

Is the indoor track cooled?