Beginners and Beyond

What up WednesDAILIES (Read 23 times)

KCRuns

I ran 5 this morning in 63 degrees and a breeze weather.  It was lovely.

Half Crazy K 2.0

pretty much this. Since we are in Big Ten country, we've tried to avoid the Big Ten but did go to Wisconsin one year and Nebraska another (not really a Big 10 school!). Most of us have been to OSU (except me), Northwestern, UM, MSU on our own. We've been to most of the SEC schools, a number of the Big 12, a couple ACC. This will be our first Pac 12 (sort of, Colorado should still be Big 12) trip. Oregon and/or Washington are on the West Coast wish list but the travel time is always an issue.

It still feels wrong to say I live in Big 10 country. It also gives DH the ability to say he went to a Big 10 school (not UMD, JHU is a member of the Big 10 for lacrosse).

DH has been to some Big 10, Big 12 and SEC. We had a trip planned that was initially scheduled around a Thursday night USC game and a Friday or Saturday UCLA one. We wound up not going to either, just wandered around the stadiums.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

LOL, truth.

You been to my alma mater in Champaign?

If you do get out west to UW, let me know! Seattle is a great place to visit regardless. As is Eugene, where my son is a U of O student. In fact he just started a job as an audio technician for university events, which includes football games. Even though he does not actually care about football. 

MTA: the view from the sound booth at Autzen Stadium!

no plans to get to Champaign. Maybe in another few years when Bielema gets them back to respectable. Love that they beat Nebraska but then lose to Texas-San Antonio...

Washington-Michigan was planned for 2020 but...  If we get out that way in the future, which is a definite possibility, I will let you know. Would be great to share a beer or two, maybe even a run!

Love the view at Autzen. I want to see that atmosphere and also see Hayward Field!

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

It still feels wrong to say I live in Big 10 country. It also gives DH the ability to say he went to a Big 10 school (not UMD, JHU is a member of the Big 10 for lacrosse).

DH has been to some Big 10, Big 12 and SEC. We had a trip planned that was initially scheduled around a Thursday night USC game and a Friday or Saturday UCLA one. We wound up not going to either, just wandered around the stadiums.

The son of one of the guys in the football trip group is heading to JHU in 2022 to play baseball. Wasn't room this year but he's in next year as long as he doesn't do something stupid in the meantime!

We have done double headers twice: one time at Oklahoma for a Saturday Noon kick followed by a night game at TCU (the driver set land speed records heading to Ft. Worth!), the other a Friday night game at Florida State followed by a Noon kick on Saturday in Gainesville for UF. Both were great trips

sdWhiskers

I don’t shop at Kohl’s so I guess I’m missing out on all the jokes.

Similar to buying something at BedBath&Beyond without the 20% off coupon.

sdWhiskers

I had no issues running at altitude in Tahoe despite drinking double my usual. I would try alltrails.com for running suggestions.

Running in Mammoth was really rough.

sdWhiskers

pretty much this. Since we are in Big Ten country, we've tried to avoid the Big Ten but did go to Wisconsin one year and Nebraska another (not really a Big 10 school!). Most of us have been to OSU (except me), Northwestern, UM, MSU on our own. We've been to most of the SEC schools, a number of the Big 12, a couple ACC. This will be our first Pac 12 (sort of, Colorado should still be Big 12) trip. Oregon and/or Washington are on the West Coast wish list but the travel time is always an issue.

No Happy Valley?!

We've had friends invite us to go to SDSU games but I've realized I care nothing about non-PSU college football. MrW went to a school without football so he only has interest in the NFL.

MTA: watched a few Ivy League games while in grad school. LOL not the same as Big10 football at all.

DavePNW

Similar to buying something at BedBath&Beyond without the 20% off coupon.

OK I understood that reference (insert meme here). Although, we never use them, we just throw them out as they expire. Related: sometimes DW will talk about buying something at Macy’s because they’re having a sale. I tell her they’re ALWAYS having a sale.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I decided to do the 14 continuing the Easter Island tour and didn't realize the last workout was up a mountain. Ended up with like 1000ft of elevation gain in that workout alone (of three). 

Damaris

DavePNW

no plans to get to Champaign. Maybe in another few years when Bielema gets them back to respectable. Love that they beat Nebraska but then lose to Texas-San Antonio...

The Illini get good every 20 years or so, so they should be due sometime later this decade. Fortunately they were good when I was there. I even went with a group of friends to the Rose Bowl, to watch them get destroyed by UCLA. It was a great trip otherwise though!

Dave

DavePNW

Yeah I think regardless of which schools play in the conference, MD and NJ are not “Big Ten Country.” It’s IL, WI, IN, MI, OH, IA, MN, period. Sorry whiskers, even PA is still too new, my generation will have to die off before they get included.

Dave

sdWhiskers

Yeah I think regardless of which schools play in the conference, MD and NJ are not “Big Ten Country.” It’s IL, WI, IN, MI, OH, IA, MN, period. Sorry whiskers, even PA is still too new, my generation will have to die off before they get included.

Shouldn't be too much longer 

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

The Illini get good every 20 years or so, so they should be due sometime later this decade. Fortunately they were good when I was there. I even went with a group of friends to the Rose Bowl, to watch them get destroyed by UCLA. It was a great trip otherwise though!

You're lucky. I was there for the slush fund scandal followed by some of the worst years they've ever had.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

No Happy Valley?!

We've had friends invite us to go to SDSU games but I've realized I care nothing about non-PSU college football. MrW went to a school without football so he only has interest in the NFL.

MTA: watched a few Ivy League games while in grad school. LOL not the same as Big10 football at all.

I would like to get to Happy Valley but it's a tough trip to make. We've considered doing an RV to get there, and not have to leave after the game, but the planning was always more than anyone wanted to deal with. Will have to look again though as the atmosphere is supposed to be really good

sdWhiskers

I would like to get to Happy Valley but it's a tough trip to make. We've considered doing an RV to get there, and not have to leave after the game, but the planning was always more than anyone wanted to deal with. Will have to look again though as the atmosphere is supposed to be really good

Yeah, that's true, useful airports are several hours away. My parents and siblings live in the area and traveling there is a huge pain. State College isn't exactly a vacation destination but football weekends (including the tailgating) are quite the experience!