Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES (Read 37 times)

Bert-o

I lost my rama

Mind you, I'm carrying a tablet, an iPad and a cup of yogurt ffs! Anyway, I finally nabbed that bitch after about 30 feet and let out a HUGE sigh. I look up at the office and there are like three or four people in the windows applauding and fist pumping me. Fuckers. lol

are they worse than gutter dwellers?

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

LRB

Leg workout with my trainer last night. Gym seems to be emptying out as expected. I figure after Valentines day things will be back to normal.

I'm debating how to start getting 40-45 mpw consistently without doing very long LRs. Currently running 5 days but maybe add in another? Or  add a few miles to each run? 8 miles is the most I can realistically get when I'm running in the morning before work. DH's work schedule is making that a bit challenging right now though. After work, it's hard to make myself do more than 4-5...because I'm tired/hungry and that's family time.

For those that are running in this range, how does your week typically break down if your long run is only 10-12 miles?

I run 6 days and get over 40 pretty easy running 6 - 7 miles per day. Some days you can run 4, then pick up the other 3 on the back end. Or, you can run 8 a couple of days to keep that last run of the week at a manageable distance.

Last week I took  a URD and got 40 in five days with my "longest" run being 9 miles. (7-8-8-9-8.5)

Running 8 miles before work is a little tough for me because I don't like to get up early enough to do it. It's usually during the run the that I realize I can get to 8 if I pick up the pace. Other times, I go out with enough time for 8 but am running so slow I have to settle for 7, so it's a mixed bag.

Anyway, the whole point is that running 6 days allows you the flexibility to eclipse 40 miles relatively easy, with room for error should you need it.

Hey fine people.  LRB and Docket, I too was suspecting butt implants, but I guess I'll have to live with the disappointment   Teeth are my superpower.  I've never had a cavity, nor needed any orthodontia.  I credit fluoridated water and the Sonicare.  I have had my wisdom teeth taken out, but otherwise, this smile is real and, natch, it's spectacular, lol.  My kids on the other hand, not having such great luck.  The water in our city does not have fluoride, and I'm literally paying the price with the dental bills.

11 today.  2 warm up, 12x 400s, and 4 something cool down to get to 11.  This week is supposed to be 58, but the LR is only 14, so I have to crank out some weekday miles.  Monday was supposed to be 8, but I was so GD slow that I only got 7, and now Imma have to pay for it.

I got lucky with the timing of the Super Blue Blood Moon event, the total eclipse viewing in my area was 5 a.m. to 6 a.m., and sunrise wasn't until 6:48, so I had something cool to look at and entertain me during my recoveries.  A bunch of peeps were out taking pictures with tripods in the park this morning.  The air was really clear this morning, so the view was good.

Whiskers, I'm doing MT right now (first time ever doing this kind of mileage), but regular mileage for me is ~40, and I don't really like LRs more than 12.  I found adding the 6th day makes it pretty easy to get it in, and as long as you keep it easy effort, it's not a huge strain physically.  Also, instead of adding a full mile to a day, add 1/2 a mile or 3/4.  They add up at the end of the week, but I find it's less overwhelming when I'm deciding what's on tap for the day.

I would really like to do a double here or there, but I never have the motivation to do anything after work, and like you say, it's family time.  I try to keep my little habit from affecting the rest of the family as much as possible.  (Not because I'm so noble, I just don't want to have to deal with any complaining.)

LRB

are they worse than gutter dwellers?

I am surrounded by riffraff, but that is not necessarily a bad thing. It's all about perspective.

LRB

Run commute day. Those are boring to report here, but it is actually one of the most enjoyable ways of running easy/recovery miles. 5 miles this morning, and if I take the same little detour tonight, it will be 10 miles for the day, no sweat.

I did that on a bike for about 4 years and it was awesome. I am finally in a location where I can do it for work. It's 2.3 miles in a straight shot, which gives all sorts of options for AM and PM runs. I don't have thr need for it at this time, but it's way cool to know that it is an option.

Anyway, I don't see anything boring about posting it. It's what you're running, and that's what we post about...most times.

So I put on quite the show for the peeps at work this morning;

I was overcharged at the surgeon's yesterday, but rather than cancel the transaction, he wrote me a check for the difference. So I go to the leave the office for the field and while walking through the parking a huge gust of wind came through and blew the fucking check off of the stack of papers I was carrying! There were puddles of salt water in the lot which heightened the angst of the situation. That plus it was a six hundred dollar check (not that that matters but it sorta kinda DOES!). So I take off like a bat out of hell, but every time I bent down to pick it up, the wind gusted again!

SHIT!

Mind you, I'm carrying a tablet, an iPad and a cup of yogurt ffs! Anyway, I finally nabbed that bitch after about 30 feet and let out a HUGE sigh. I look up at the office and there are like three or four people in the windows applauding and fist pumping me. Fuckers. lol

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!  This made me laugh so hard!  (I would not think it was funny if you didn't get your check at the end though.)

Also, dude, Merlot + Flexeril.  No shame.

RWMD, you better post some damn pictures of this dog.  I'm getting impatient over here.  She's gonna get big soon, and I need a puppy belly fix.

Cyberic

I was overcharged at the surgeon's yesterday, but rather than cancel the transaction, he wrote me a check for the difference. So I go to the leave the office for the field and while walking through the parking a huge gust of wind came through and blew the fucking check off of the stack of papers I was carrying! There were puddles of salt water in the lot which heightened the angst of the situation. That plus it was a six hundred dollar check (not that that matters but it sorta kinda DOES!). So I take off like a bat out of hell, but every time I bent down to pick it up, the wind gusted again!

SHIT!

RunningWithMyDog

RWMD, you better post some damn pictures of this dog.  I'm getting impatient over here.  She's gonna get big soon, and I need a puppy belly fix.

Please ask me how our rule about no puppies on the couch is going.

Go ahead, I dare you.  Ask me.

RunningWithMyDog

I would really like to do a double here or there, but I never have the motivation to do anything after work, and like you say, it's family time.  I try to keep my little habit from affecting the rest of the family as much as possible.  (Not because I'm so noble, I just don't want to have to deal with any complaining.)

Is running to and/or home an option?  Even part way?

I've got two favourite routes home - 6 km (faster than public transit) and 12.5 km (tacks on about a half hour to what it would take by subway).  So there's very little guilt involved.

I have a co-worker who drives to a gym about 7 km away, parks and runs the rest of the way in.  He's saving a poop-ton of money on parking, and getting in his running.

DavePNW

I'm debating how to start getting 40-45 mpw consistently without doing very long LRs. Currently running 5 days but maybe add in another? Or  add a few miles to each run? 8 miles is the most I can realistically get when I'm running in the morning before work. DH's work schedule is making that a bit challenging right now though. After work, it's hard to make myself do more than 4-5...because I'm tired/hungry and that's family time.

For those that are running in this range, how does your week typically break down if your long run is only 10-12 miles?

Add a 6th day. You'll barely notice a difference between a short easy day & a rest day.

I would basically alternate 4-5 mile days with 7-8 mile days, then a 10-12 LR on the weekend. (I am too bleary to do maths this morning, but I think that roughly adds up.)

Freaking insomnia last night, been up since 3:00. Had trouble staying awake on the 30 min drive to the gym. Actually sat in the parking garage for 10 min trying to get a few more minutes of sleep. Anyway, only had 5 miles, but it felt better than expected. Now to get through the work day.

154 miles for the month.

Dave

RunningOnSand

Please ask me how our rule about no puppies on the couch is going.

Go ahead, I dare you.  Ask me.

OMG. I want her! She is so cute! (My dog is sleeping next to me, on the couch, right as I type this)

RunningOnSand

SHIT!

Oh my word. HAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAA!!!!! I, also, laughed very hard and very loudly. Big grin

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

SHIT!

LOL. They were probably screaming Run, Forrest, Run, as you ran after the check time and time again.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sigh, just got to the office from court.  My morning started with me going to my normal empanada place for breakfast, waiting in line for 10 minutes as some dude bought bottle after bottle of wine at the place at 7am, and then this other asshole cut through the bakery line and he got the last two empanadas. When I told the girl I was next in line, she was like oh, I don't know...I told her I was going to Starbucks and left with a nice smile on my face.  She probably heard me calling the asshole a colón (line cutter) as I passed by him and he didn't respond or he would have been slammed to the floor, I was so pissed at NOT HAVING ANY EMPANADAS.  Never eating empanadas ever again, I guess.  At least there.  Hope the guy choked on them too!

Then there were two accidents on the way to court and I almost had to choke on McDs to be able to eat before court.

And then don't ask me about the accidents on the way back to the office.... Now I understand why that dude was ordering so many bottles of wine. It was to deal with Wednesday.

Damaris

RunningOnSand

Howdy! Runshortii, your workout also sounds intense AF. Run coaching wise, I think a good coach knows how to push the envelope a bit. I was thinking through all the workouts my coach has had me do, and i'm thinking like Coastal and HC mentioned, maybe it was more of a fitness test. B/c he schedules them not every week (the workout from hell) but like every 6 weeks or so. And, he's scheduled some tough shit that I have hit, and it's been a huge confidence booster. But then there are a few that I haven't been able to hit (but those have been far and few between). Regarding today's workout, I toned it down a bit. Now I'm wondering if I was just being a pansy. Ugh--hard to know how hard to push? Like balls to the wall would have been his paces, so I did more of McMIllan's pacing.

20min up, then was supposed to be

2x400 @ 1:45 (7:00pace) - did closer to 7:10s

4x800 @ 3:40 (7:20pace) - did a range from 7:40s down to 7:27 or so...

2x400 @ 1:45 - did 7:06s to 7:15 or so.

10 down.

I honestly can't totally remember. But it was around there. ANYWAY, sorry if that's too detail-y for you guys...8.1 TM miles. And OH. I tried out the NB 1400v5 and I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE them! Hugs me in all the right places, just the right amount of cushion in the heel and arch, that seems to propel me forward and makes me want to run FAST! Also just the right amount of responsiveness. So now, the shoes in my rotation are:

-Ghost 10s for everyday runs

-Breakthru 4s--was originally going to do my workouts in these, but I'm loving the NB so much that maybe I'll just rotate these with the NB.

-NB 1400s for speed and workouts.