Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES (Read 37 times)

sdWhiskers

Is running to and/or home an option?  Even part way?

I've got two favourite routes home - 6 km (faster than public transit) and 12.5 km (tacks on about a half hour to what it would take by subway).  So there's very little guilt involved.

I have a co-worker who drives to a gym about 7 km away, parks and runs the rest of the way in.  He's saving a poop-ton of money on parking, and getting in his running.

After spending such a large portion of my life sitting in traffic on my 6 mile commute, I have envisioned every conceivable way to avoid driving a car to and from work. My 2 main problems are that 1) I would be instantly killed on bike or running in the first mile leaving work because this is California traffic madness and 2) I still have to drop off or pick up DS from daycare, depending on the day. I've thought about driving to his school, then running or biking to work but I still would be killed on the freeway.

My office is moving to a new building end of this year which actually makes it feasible to bike! And DS will be in kindergarten then so it could work.

RunningOnSand

Sigh, just got to the office from court.  My morning started with me going to my normal empanada place for breakfast, waiting in line for 10 minutes as some dude bought bottle after bottle of wine at the place at 7am, and then this other asshole cut through the bakery line and he got the last two empanadas. When I told the girl I was next in line, she was like oh, I don't know...I told her I was going to Starbucks and left with a nice smile on my face.  She probably heard me calling the asshole a colón (line cutter) as I passed by him and he didn't respond or he would have been slammed to the floor, I was so pissed at NOT HAVING ANY EMPANADASNever eating empanadas ever again, I guess.  At least there.  Hope the guy choked on them too!

Then there were two accidents on the way to court and I almost had to choke on McDs to be able to eat before court.

And then don't ask me about the accidents on the way back to the office.... Now I understand why that dude was ordering so many bottles of wine. It was to deal with Wednesday.

You snuck in while I was typing! Docket. I love you, b/c food is a BFD. And I'm angered on your behalf for him cutting in line. Lame about having to eat McDs instead of lovely, beautiful empanadas. I need to start having some good breakfasts in my life. Usually, as I'm running out the door, I'm grabbing a lame vegan protein bar. #winning #butnotreally

RunningWithMyDog

Sigh, just got to the office from court.  My morning started with me going to my normal empanada place for breakfast, waiting in line for 10 minutes as some dude bought bottle after bottle of wine at the place at 7am, and then this other asshole cut through the bakery line and he got the last two empanadas. When I told the girl I was next in line, she was like oh, I don't know...I told her I was going to Starbucks and left with a nice smile on my face.  She probably heard me calling the asshole a colón (line cutter) as I passed by him and he didn't respond or he would have been slammed to the floor, I was so pissed at NOT HAVING ANY EMPANADAS.  Never eating empanadas ever again, I guess.  At least there.  Hope the guy choked on them too!

Then there were two accidents on the way to court and I almost had to choke on McDs to be able to eat before court.

And then don't ask me about the accidents on the way back to the office.... Now I understand why that dude was ordering so many bottles of wine. It was to deal with Wednesday.

I realize as a Canadian it's probably none of my business, but the empanada-related violence in your country is getting out of control.

Why can't you people put aside your political differences to take sensible steps to tackle this problem?

For instance: a 5-minute cooling-off period for anyone wanting to buy an empanada would greatly reduce the amount of burnt tongues.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

I realize as a Canadian it's probably none of my business, but the empanada-related violence in your country is getting out of control.

Why can't you people put aside your political differences to take sensible steps to tackle this problem?

For instance: a 5-minute cooling-off period for anyone wanting to buy an empanada would greatly reduce the amount of burnt tongues.

I thought you were going to suggest poutine.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

delicate flower

Christ, three pages already in this dailies.  Sorry, I ain't got time for reading.  I clocked into work at 8:00 and am just now coming up for air.  I am so frikkin buried in work right now.  We get to wear our Patriot jerseys to work Friday, which for me means I've got to dig my old LA Rams Jerome Bettis jersey out of the basement so I can wear that one instead.    I've got a Jim Everett jersey too, but LOL at that one.

2500 yard swim done before work, and a tempo run to do after work.  I was going to do a 10K Saturday but I have to work now.  Oh well. 

<3

DavePNW

Whiskers, I'm doing MT right now (first time ever doing this kind of mileage), but regular mileage for me is ~40, and I don't really like LRs more than 12.  I found adding the 6th day makes it pretty easy to get it in, and as long as you keep it easy effort, it's not a huge strain physically.  Also, instead of adding a full mile to a day, add 1/2 a mile or 3/4.  They add up at the end of the week, but I find it's less overwhelming when I'm deciding what's on tap for the day.

I would really like to do a double here or there, but I never have the motivation to do anything after work, and like you say, it's family time.  I try to keep my little habit from affecting the rest of the family as much as possible.  (Not because I'm so noble, I just don't want to have to deal with any complaining.)

IDK why it seems so amazing to me, but adding a day make such a big difference in ability to hit a weekly mileage total. I had been running 6 days consistently for a few years. Since adding a 7th day mid-last year, getting in the 40s is like falling off a log. And hitting 70 when I need to for marathon training becomes easier too. And a little thing - it seems when you tell non-runners that you run, they seem to want to ask "every day?" And I used to always have to explain that I took a day off every week. Now I can just say yes.

BTW, regarding adding fractional miles - I always run in full mile increments. Maybe with a .1. Sometimes I'll have a couple with additional tenths, and by the end of the week it adds up an extra full mile. It's like finding a $20 bill in your pocket.

Dave

Cyberic

BTW, regarding adding fractional miles - I always run in full mile increments. Maybe with a .1. Sometimes I'll have a couple with additional tenths, and by the end of the week it adds up an extra full mile. It's like finding a $20 bill in your pocket.

Let's say I am out for an 8 mile run. I'm not going to stop after 8 if I'm not back home, or at my car, or wherever I'm going. I'll run to destination and I don't care what the number is. Like you said, it's extra loose change that adds a few miles each month (you said week, I say month).

onemile

IDK why it seems so amazing to me, but adding a day make such a big difference in ability to hit a weekly mileage total. I had been running 6 days consistently for a few years. Since adding a 7th day mid-last year, getting in the 40s is like falling off a log. And hitting 70 when I need to for marathon training becomes easier too.

Totally agree

Runshortii

I ran 6 before work.

I just went from 5 to 6 days a week of running, and it feels like less running than when I ran the same mileage on 5 days of running. That short run is nice

GinnyinPA

LRB - hilarious image. I'm glad you caught it finally though. Implants are so ridiculously expensive, you really don't want to pay extra.

D - sorry you're having such a bad day.

12.3 easy miles for me. It was supposed to start snowing midway, but fortunately that didn't happen.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Damaris

sdWhiskers

IDK why it seems so amazing to me, but adding a day make such a big difference in ability to hit a weekly mileage total. I had been running 6 days consistently for a few years. Since adding a 7th day mid-last year, getting in the 40s is like falling off a log. And hitting 70 when I need to for marathon training becomes easier too. And a little thing - it seems when you tell non-runners that you run, they seem to want to ask "every day?" And I used to always have to explain that I took a day off every week. Now I can just say yes.

This is encouraging. When I started out, I ran 3 days a week and "didn't have time for more". Well...I liked running and wanted to do more so adding a 4th and eventually 5th day ended up being no big deal. Right now I also see a personal trainer 2x week so in order to keep one complete rest day, I double up one of the sessions on a run day. I think in order to add Day 6 of running, I need to just do one session with my trainer each week and then do some strength exercises at home. Oh, and have it mesh ok with DH's swim/bike/run schedule

There are a few SAHMs in my neighborhood with their kids at school all day. I always think how freaking fast and strong I'd be if I had that much time to play with each day!

bluerun

Super B****

Apparently I was born of the sea... because I forgot to press start on my computer today before my first dive, so it kicked in once I was at five feet, but that means no GPS location on the surface.  The map shows me getting out, but I never got in. 

A turtle!

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

KCRuns

LRB, the mental image is hysterical, but I'm glad you finally caught it!

I try to run a little bit over my goal every time so I have that cushion that adds up at the end of the week or month.  It doesn't always happen, but when it does, it's nice - an extra .1-.3 really does make a big difference when you look at monthly totals.

I got 6.1 TM miles during lunch.  Today was the same workout as last Wednesday - WU, 3x 1M @ 10k w400 JR, CD.  I struggled to hold the paces today, but did 10:20, 10:09, 10:15ish.  The last one I started at 10:09, but cut it back to 10:20 around half way, so I'm guessing the average on that one.  I think I needed to warm up longer and pay more attention.  I kind of zoned out during the warm up, came to in time to see I was near a nice round easy to remember mileage total and hurried to speed up for the first interval.  I should have just kept going for another .25 or something to be more mentally prepared to speed up.

Cyberic

Apparently I was born of the sea... because I forgot to press start on my computer today before my first dive, so it kicked in once I was at five feet, but that means no GPS location on the surface.  The map shows me getting out, but I never got in. 

So does the Garmin "computer" perform to your expectations?

And Onemile, did you decide which watch you were getting?

Baboon, how does Mrs Baboon like her new watch?