Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES (Read 37 times)

DavePNW

Let's say I am out for an 8 mile run. I'm not going to stop after 8 if I'm not back home, or at my car, or wherever I'm going. I'll run to destination and I don't care what the number is. Like you said, it's extra loose change that adds a few miles each month (you said week, I say month).

Let's say I am out for an 8 mile run. I am going to run 4 miles, then turn around & run back to where I started. Miraculously that ends up being pretty close to 8 miles. I guess if you do not run out & back routes, it works differently.

There are times I do not do an exact out & back, but I figure out the options to make it end up even. Mostly because that's just what I do, but also because that is the amount of time I've allowed myself to run and still get to work on time.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

So does the Garmin "computer" perform to your expectations?

i LOVE IT.  So much better than my Suunto.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

Let's say I am out for an 8 mile run. I am going to run 4 miles, then turn around & run back to where I started. Miraculously that ends up being pretty close to 8 miles. I guess if you do not run out & back routes, it works differently.

There are times I do not do an exact out & back, but I figure out the options to make it end up even. Mostly because that's just what I do, but also because that is the amount of time I've allowed myself to run and still get to work on time.

Not often do I end up with an exact number. My target is pretty much always approximative. And I don't run out and backs. I prefer going around a park. That way, no cars, no trafic lights, no stop signs.

MTA: I prefer running more than everybody else than having round numbers. That's the kind of OCD I like Smile

Cyberic

i LOVE IT.  So much better than my Suunto.

Still not perfect, though. Still have to press "start" 

bluerun

Super B****

Still not perfect, though. Still have to press "start" 

I don't HAVE to -- it will still function perfectly well, I just won't have my entry point on the map!  (And now I know my average HR when diving.  This is vital information, obviously.)

chasing the impossible

LRB

LRB, the mental image is hysterical, but I'm glad you finally caught it!

Here's a visual aid. I ran from the point I took the picture till just past the puddle, bending down three separate times during that period trying to get it. Then I decided to run past the check, and let it come to me, which it did, just past the second car on the right. FINALLY.

Not pictured is about a dozen windows on the right, also known as my audience.

DavePNW

MTA: I prefer running more than everybody else than having round numbers. That's the kind of OCD I like Smile

Well at least I still have my round numbers.

Dave

Cyberic

I don't HAVE to -- it will still function perfectly well, I just won't have my entry point on the map!  (And now I know my average HR when diving.  This is vital information, obviously.)

You mean you will know your depth, your HR and stuff, but if you want to know how long your dive was and avg HR for the whole thing, don't you have to press start? Or when it detects you're under water it says, what the hell, let's just start a dive activity, just in case?

LRB

My out and backs almost always end up being longer than the planned distance because there is a lag in-between the time I hit the target turn around mile, and when the watch beeps. So on a 6 mile out and back I may end up with 6.04 or .05 or .07 or whatever the case may be. I don't even bother running to make that an even .10 but will sometimes extend a .17 to a quarter mile, or extend a .33 to a half mile if I have the time. It's no biggie either way, it all just depends on how I feel on that particular day. Like after a grueling speed work session, if I get home from the track and am at 7. 87 miles, DONE. #fts

DavePNW

My out and backs almost always end up being longer than the planned distance because there is a lag in-between the time I hit the target turn around mile, and when the watch beeps. So on a 6 mile out and back I may end up with 6.04 or .05 or .07 or whatever the case may be. I don't even bother running to make that an even .10 but will sometimes extend a .17 to a quarter mile, or extend a .33 to a half mile if I have the time. It's no biggie either way, it all just depends on how I feel on that particular day. Like after a grueling speed work session, if I get home from the track and am at 7. 87 miles, DONE. #fts

Yes. But I never bother to extend to .25 or .5. Honestly if I get to .4, I'll usually go the rest of that mile, unless I'm really squeezed for time.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

You mean you will know your depth, your HR and stuff, but if you want to know how long your dive was and avg HR for the whole thing, don't you have to press start? Or when it detects you're under water it says, what the hell, let's just start a dive activity, just in case?

Nope, apparently you don't have to press start.  My Suunto worked the same way -- I didn't even have to turn the thing ON (unless I wanted to dive Nitrox, in which case I'd have to set my gas blend; otherwise, it would still work, it would just think I'm diving on air).  It's primarily a dive computer -- that's the default activity -- so I guess if I jumped into a pool without setting it to record a swim first, it would think I'm diving!  Except that I'm used to pressing a start button before a swim, and I am not used to doing that before a dive.  Obviously I need to move to some tropical island to get into the habit.

chasing the impossible

bluerun

Super B****

Here's a visual aid. I ran from the point I took the picture till just past the puddle, bending down three separate times during that period trying to get it. Then I decided to run past the check, and let it come to me, which it did, just past the second car on the right. FINALLY.

Not pictured is about a dozen windows on the right, also known as my audience.

I would say you're surrounded by kind people, except I laughed a little too, so...

chasing the impossible

LRB

Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!  This made me laugh so hard!  (I would not think it was funny if you didn't get your check at the end though.)

Also, dude, Merlot + Flexeril.  No shame.

RWMD, you better post some damn pictures of this dog.  I'm getting impatient over here.  She's gonna get big soon, and I need a puppy belly fix.

I have had this set since forever but didn't think much of the fizzy, aerator thingy until you kept mentioning it. I finally tried it last night and one word for that; AMAZEBALLS.

LRB

I would say you're surrounded by kind people, except I laughed a little too, so...

That's a big ass picture. I thought I resized that.

What filter if any are you using for your underwater money shots?

bluerun

Super B****

That's a big ass picture. I thought I resized that.

What filter if any are you using for your underwater money shots?

Well, it drives home the point how much of a show you put on. 

I take the photos with a red filter (took me until halfway through the last dive today to realize that I didn't set my camera to diving mode, but whatever), and then I run them through the Dive+ app because it's easier than editing each photo individually myself.  Note the watermark in the lower right corner. 

chasing the impossible