Beginners and Beyond

Plank Challenge (Read 138 times)

LRB

You crack me up bear head!  lol

Little Blue

Whoa, hold the phone.  Back up, Barbie.

It has occurred to me that I have a condition in my foot that is aggravated by putting pressure on the ball of my foot.  Say, by standing on it for three minutes at a time.  I have $300 custom orthotics to help it.   Perhaps this exercise is not the most prudent.  I guess I'll try side planks and see how that goes, but regular planks are out for me.

I did 1 x 3:15 today before my rational brain kicked in.

Hip Redux

Whoa, hold the phone.  Back up, Barbie.

It has occurred to me that I have a condition in my foot that is aggravated by putting pressure on the ball of my foot.  Say, by standing on it for three minutes at a time.  I have $300 custom orthotics to help it.   Perhaps this exercise is not the most prudent.  I guess I'll try side planks and see how that goes, but regular planks are out for me.

Try it from your knees, too.  It's easier, but a decent compromise.

Hip Redux

And who are you calling Barbie?

lol

Jess runs for bacon

I feel like today's 30 seconds was harder than yesterday's. man I am such a wimp, lol.

obiebyke

I like you, Lilac. The rest of 'em are too fancy to me. I did my 30 today and I'm sticking to it! Smile

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

Little Blue

And who are you calling Barbie?

lol

Big grin  I love that phrase.

LRB

3:35 done after work.

And there is no way in hell I will get to 10 minutes.  At this point, I would have a better chance of running a 10:00 5k!  >:-/

Hip Redux

1 min plank followed by 30 second side planks w/10 leg lifts.

Jess runs for bacon

I like you, Lilac. The rest of 'em are too fancy to me. I did my 30 today and I'm sticking to it! Smile

They're just show offs Smile Us mortals just do the plan.

I used my iphone as a stopwatch and that seemed to make it easier, instead of counting down. That, or the wine I had first.

scappodaqui

rather be sprinting

I prefer to progress the weight on my planks (I put a sandbag on my back) rather than the duration... I can go for quite awhile, but I get very bored and start craning my neck all around, which isn't the best habit to cultivate and probably cheats my form.  But now I'm wondering which has more of an impact on running-specific core strength.  Weight or duration?  I actually am not sure and will ask an expert.  My gut [heh] tells me that planks for time might not be most useful, but I will definitely give this a shot sometime soon and get a time down.

PRs: 5k 19:25, mile 5:38, HM 1:30:56

Lifting PRs: bench press 125lb, back squat 205 lb, deadlift 245lb

LRB

4:11 this morning.

It is fitting that my core temperature rises and beads of sweat form on my head the longer I hold the position.

Scap, if someone put a sandbag on my back while in a plank, I would collapse to the floor!  I look forward to hearing about your progress with it.

Everyone else, get your planks in today!

Little Blue

I noticed the heat thing, too.  It's amazing how fast you warm up using all those big muscles!

Just did 3:00 knee plank, and the only thing I could feel was my wrists.  Does that really do anything for you?  I should have used the position to do some pushups, now THAT would have been beneficial!

obiebyke

Ha!

I use my iPhone, too. works fabulously. No wine for me, but I'm guessing that would make everything much much harder.

They're just show offs Smile Us mortals just do the plan.

I used my iphone as a stopwatch and that seemed to make it easier, instead of counting down. That, or the wine I had first.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I'm comfortable with 3 minutes, got up to 5 minutes back in August before my groin started tightening up past 4 so I took a break. Got back into about 2 weeks ago, I like to do 3 minute planks 2-3 times a day. I prefer the temperature to be 70- when doing one, I always heat up.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)