Beginners and Beyond

Personal best and a numb foot (Read 169 times)

Sloooow.

First, I ran 3.6 miles! 3.6! The two 5K's I've raced, I couldn't even run the whole thing. Apparently the stars aligned this evening Smile

I have been reaching the fork in my road, before turning around and walking back home. Straight ahead on the fork, lives a man who I've had trouble with, so today I decided to make the left. 1/3 of the way up the road, guess who I see walking towards me. Go figure.

So, the numb foot. Anyone else have this problem? It seems at around the 2.5 mile mark, my left foot goes numb. It will stop within seconds if I start walking, and towards the end of the 3.6 miles today half of my foot was back to life. Is it just a case of loosening my shoe laces? The shoes are not tight, toe box isn't cramped.

Not quite right

Try loser shoe laces 

My feet go numb sometimes.  I've tried loosening my shoes and it didn't really help.  I try to wiggle my feet in my shoes and that helps a little bit.

Sloooow.

I tried loosening my laces at the base and it helped with onset a little bit. I will loosen some more and see if it helps. Feels like I'm running with a block of wood for a foot, lol.

buchy2009

Bjørnmannen

This has happened to me in the past... I usually just stretch it out and keep going and it hasn't led to any other issues. It really freaked me out the first time it happened though!

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Congrats!!!

The numb feet thing happens to me all the time....but I have a history of foot problems and some nerve damage in my feet from repeated stress fractures from playing sports as a kid, so I am not alarmed when my feet go numb and figured it was just normal for me. I'm interested to see what kind of advice you get because maybe it's something different than I thought it was for me!

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

runmomto3boys

That is AWESOME!  Congratulations on the PB distance. 

As far as the numbness thing, that is so funny b/c this has just been happening to me as of late for the first time.  As far as the laces being too tight goes, I bet that is the culprit in my case.  My shoes are looser I guess b/c it's so freaking cold out now and so I have them laced tighter. I loosened them last night on the run b/c the numbness was intermittent, but then it felt like my darn shoe was going to fly off, so I just tightened them back up and went w/it.  Anyway, you are not alone!

Jess runs for bacon

This happened to me when I tightened my laces towards the bottom. Try loosening them up there. Congrats on the PR!