Beginners and Beyond

Here we go again; it's MonDAILIES! (Read 50 times)

Bert-o

I lost my rama

A bit surprising, because it felt slower than ever.

I think a real benefit is spending more time on your feet as you go slower.  OTOH - marathon pace runs feel hard as hell during training, but the pace feels easy on race day.... well, up to a point. 

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

DavePNW

marathon pace runs feel hard as hell during training, but the pace feels easy on race day.... well, up to a point. 

True. Although they always say "the training should be hard so the race is easy". Which I always felt was bullshit, because the race is always harder than any training. If you're doing it right. And, well, until yesterday. Heh.

Dave

I would love to "cut the cable" but I'm a slave to live sports.

Looks like the Boston Marathon forum here is not viable at the moment, so here I am!  (You poor bastards).

12.5 km home tonight from work.  It's sunny but finally cool - should be a nice run.

Finally.  I come over here, make a log on and all this crap, start trying to learn about new people and names and avitars and all that jazz, and then hardly ever see a RWMD gem.  It's about damn time. Wink  Enjoy the 12K.

And I hear you on the sports.  It's going to be an adjustment, but we figured out we can mirror the phones to the TV, and we get ESPN through our cell provider.  A benefit we've never bothered to use, but it may help.  Amazon is streaming Thursday night football, so we'll get that on the Firestick.  We connected one of those flat antenna things to the TV, and we get decent broadcast (CBS, NBC, ABC, PBS, a bunch of Spanish stations that seem weird, and a crapton of various Asian stations which look to be even weirder).  The only thing we don't get very well is FOX.  Plan is to get the cheap Hulu, so I can keep up with Modern Family.

I have not told the kids exactly how much this will impact their Sunday mornings though, and expect it will not go over well.  I'm not sure what will be left of kid TV.  They aren't allowed to watch much TV in the first place, so this may result in mutiny.

oldfartrunner

I got 8.

About the easy pace being slow when running more, it's pretty well natural unless you are improving leaps and bounds in the shorter stuff-like dropping 2 mins. off your 5K or something. Then you better be running the easy runs faster or you are sandbagging big time.  Eventually you normalize if you keep consistent mileage and are not building.

LM: Love getting rid of useless crap too.  Either you are a pack rat person or not. The wife and I go through "negotiations"  every year or two it seems. .... Have fun with the speed work!  You got to defend your Turkey Trot title...Right?

Freesoul: Sounds like a good idea IMO.

Berto: Hey!

Lazy: Yeah, one year older don't equal 2 more RDs.  Maybe she thought you forgot to take your pills, and  you forgot.   I mean, mine are in a 7 day pill box, and I still have to ask the wife what day it is sometimes.

LRB

Except for my very first 22 mile run, where I purposely went out about a minute slower per mile than GMP (something about time on the feet that I would never do again!), my long run pace during MRT is indicative of nothing other than how I felt on that particular day.  Some days that was amazing, and others, well, let's just say it was physical and mental torture!

LRB

I have friends who have gone to great lengths to cut the cord and I am just not there yet. I have been a Comcast customer since 1986 (it was Barden Cable back then) and I don't hate them enough to go to WOW or Uverse or one of the satellite services. The only thing I've ever asked of them sharks is to keep my monthly bill around $100 (cable only) and I can live with it.

There are times when it shoots up to $150 but a phone call, some terse language (or a few F bombs!) and an hour of my life that I will never get back is usually all it takes to make things right in my little world again.

LRB

Now, how old are you LRB?    Better get the post-its out.

I spent the weekend in a place called bliss. It was awesome!

On my next birthday, I'll be in the 50 - 54 age group. Most of my friends are older than me so I don't even get to complain about it like normal people because they would all trade places with me in a heartbeat. Blah.

DavePNW

Except for my very first 22 mile run, where I purposely went out about a minute slower per mile than GMP (something about time on the feet that I would never do again!), my long run pace during MRT is indicative of nothing other than how I felt on that particular day.  Some days that was amazing, and others, well, let's just say it was physical and mental torture!

IK,R? I've had 20+ milers ranging from 8:30 to 9:20. But the 8:30s feel so, so much better.

Dave

LRB

Thank you, Captain Obvious. 

Boo, you.

It's too bad I didn't get to see you, where did you eat while visiting my city?

oldfartrunner

I spent the weekend in a place called bliss. It was awesome!

On my next birthday, I'll be in the 50 - 54 age group. Most of my friends are older than me so I don't even get to complain about it like normal people because they would all trade places with me in a heartbeat. Blah.

Cool!

LRB

IK,R? I've had 20+ milers ranging from 8:30 to 9:20. But the 8:30s feel so, so much better.

Yes. Understanding that speed is relative, running long at easy pace (whatever that is for an individual) versus a minute slower per mile than easy pace for said individual, is the difference between wanting to conquer the world, and wanting to kill everything in it. Starting with ones self.  lol

Cyberic

Must be nice to have an easy pace of 7:45 and faster

???

My marathon preparation long runs are rarely run at easy pace. Even if they were, I do not see how you'd figure a pace from my comment of 2:30-2:40 without a distance

Anyways, in prep for my first I ran a 18.8 @ 8:14mpm which was 2:34:30 long. That was my longest, in time.

My longest, in distance was 21 miles @ 7:19, therefore 2:33:30 long. There were 13 miles at MP in there.

Those are my only non-race runs over 2:30

oldfartrunner

The UPS truck just left my Adidas Boost 3s!  Glad I went up a 1/2 size for a thumbs width, they get thin pretty quick at the toe-like most racers. Will try them out on the Peavine tomorrow!   Maybe they'll price drop the Bostons too?  Looks like RW has New Balance Ice sing lets on sale too. I might get away from the neon since I'm getting so slow?  That black and orange or mulita-color on black looks nice.  

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

LawyerMom, the medal is huge:

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I have friends who have gone to great lengths to cut the cord and I am just not there yet. I have been a Comcast customer since 1986 (it was Barden Cable back then) and I don't hate them enough to go to WOW or Uverse or one of the satellite services. The only thing I've ever asked of them sharks is to keep my monthly bill around $100 (cable only) and I can live with it.

There are times when it shoots up to $150 but a phone call, some terse language (or a few F bombs!) and an hour of my life that I will never get back is usually all it takes to make things right in my little world again.

Comcast sucks where I live because they won't improve the system to account for the 20+ new residential complexes that were built last year.  UVerse has never failed us.  We cut the cord and it was hard.  My husband thought of coming back to Comcast and then Hurricane Irma happened. Uverse was here all through the storm while there are still some without Comcast service as of today.  That quieted down that talk, LOL.

Damaris