Beginners and Beyond

Let's talk fuel during runs/races (Read 113 times)

Hip Redux

Could certainly be mental - but for the first time at a distance, that mental part is important.   A little bit of confidence, even if it's just "I know I have enough fuel to finish", can be really helpful.

I used to never want to leave home without water on any run.  Now I don't bring water unless I really think I need it.  It's part of just being more comfortable with what your body can do at certain distances.

Baboon

delicate flower

I can't really offer advice but I can speak on my own experience.  For a HM, I take a gel while in the starting corral, and I take a gel at mile 5.  Only HammerGel though because it's the only brand that doesn't wreck me.  I drink only water during the race and grab a cup at every water station.  My stomach doesn't like sport drinks.  For training runs of 13 miles or more, I usually carry a gel and take it halfway through, plus I carry water in a handheld.

For a 5K and 10K, I don't use gels and don't take water during the race, exception being the BAA 10K because it was hot.

<3

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

If this makes a difference, I expect to finish between 2:20 and 2:30.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

bluerun

Super B****

But - she's never run a half before.  If she's going to be out there for two hours+, I think she'll need something (though likely not everything she has listed).   If running a HM under two hours, that may be the case.     But just because it works for superhuman Happylily does not mean it'll work for others!

I know there's no way I could have made it through either of my HMs without water and at least a carb shot of something.

I have to say, I'm super glad I had gels with me when I "ran" my first half -- being out there for four hours, I got hungry!!  Joking  But that was an unusual situation, one I hope to never encounter again.

Still, while I'm fairly certain I could run a half with no fuel, I like the mental boost it gives me.  I used to take one gel at mile 5 and one at mile 10, and since I read Fitzgerald's latest book (I think meaghansketch mentioned it?), I stole his idea of taking one a few minutes before the start.  I happened to have gotten a lovely PR at that race, so I'll probably keep doing that.  It doesn't hurt, even if you don't necessarily need it.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

I was having issues with crashing around mile 10 of a HM. Happened two or three times. So I tried a gel, and I finished my next one strong. It looks like this guys needs something out there. I've also figured out that I don't like Gatorade when I run. So I've got down what works for me: Water at aid stations, and I take 2 gels, one at mile 5, the other at mile 8. I guess I could take one 15 minutes before the start. I don't think having too many calories is a bad thing. Smile Maybe it is, but what do I know in my limited experience. Smile

- Andrew

PADRunner

I haven't run a half yet and am interested in this topic. Up until now I've just just eaten a 1/2 Clif bar a hour before my runs or sometimes a whole one before my long runs. Water around half way. I picked up some GU to try on my next long run. I was wondering about the after taste. I hate the syrupy after taste that coats your mouth. Gatorade has a syrupy taste that lingers and sometimes the acid cause heartburn for me.

Baboon

delicate flower

I haven't run a half yet and am interested in this topic. Up until now I've just just eaten a 1/2 Clif bar a hour before my runs or sometimes a whole one before my long runs. Water around half way. I picked up some GU to try on my next long run. I was wondering about the after taste. I hate the syrupy after taste that coats your mouth. Gatorade has a syrupy taste that lingers and sometimes the acid cause heartburn for me.

Not a lot of aftertaste with the gels IMO, but they do leave your mouth a little sticky.  I try to time the gels so I take them right before a water station so I can wash it down.

<3

meaghansketch

I started taking a gel at the start line of short races (shorter than HMs) about 2 years ago (even though it makes me self-conscious that other people think I must be a total noob!) because of research like this:

Sweat Science - When and Why to Swish-n-Spit Your Sports Drink

that shows that even when exercise isn't long enough that you need to tap into your fat stores, if you 'top off' your glycogen stores before a race, you may perform better.  In the case of the research above it wasn't actually ingesting carbs that helped your performance-- it was the fact that your brain thought that there would be carbs available, so it didn't have to conserve any.

For HMs/marathons I don't take anything at the start line since I want my body to conserve carbs a little bit!

Looking over your race plan again-- Since this is your first HM, I would really encourage you to limit your carb sources to one or two at the most.  If you take energy beans AND GU AND sports drink, it becomes really hard to pinpoint what to change if anything goes wrong.

#artbydmcbride

I usually don't take any fuel other than water and maybe sports drink before mile 8.   Mile 8 and maybe mile 11 I will take a gu.  I like Accel gel because it tastes good and has some protein in with the carbs.

Runners run

Wandering Wally

From my own personal experience, my stomach doesn't tolerate gels very well at all.  Here's what I do for HM distance:

Training runs less than 10 miles:  I don't bring anything unless it's hot.  Then I bring some plain water.

Training run of 13-15 miles:  Bring a handheld with Gatorade or HEED in it.  My stomach does better with liquid calories (opposite of Baboon).

Road HM:  Grab a Gatorade at every other aid station.

Trail HM:  Bring my handheld full of Gatorade or HEED.  Stop at the 6.5 mile aid station and refill if necessary.  Otherwise, I don't stop at all.

Longer distances (25K and above) and I start taking in some additional calories.  I much prefer real food when available.  An energy bar, PB&J, some watermelon, chips, Oreos, etc.

OP is doing the right thing by experimenting in training.  That's how we find out what works and what doesn't.

Run!  Just Run!

Trail Runner Nation Podcast

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I ran slow as a snail last Sunday. Not superhuman. Big grin What I wonder is how much is mental and how much is our body really needing the fuel for runs that are 13 miles and less. But I agree with the fact that the longer we are out there, the more we'll need the fuel, so maybe you are right that for her first, a gel would help. But two? I think two would be purely mental support. Also, the fuelling goes by weight. Women don't require as much as men in general.

That was not slow as a snail, silly.Joking

Damaris

happylily

That was not slow as a snail, silly.Joking

I was 403 long seconds off my PR. And I blame it all on the fact that I did not GU! Big grin

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Venomized

Drink up moho's!!

There is a lot of personal preference in how to fuel and what works as well.  I have found that my own strategy has changed over time as well.

When training for my first 1/2 I did not eat a whole lot before a race or a morning run and was starving midway through and would take a GU around mile 6 of a 10 - 14 mile run.  Now I eat light for less than 10 miles if at all and use only water during the race or run.  10 - 13 miles is a bit more to eat before the run/race and typically just water however on halves I will use the on course Gatorade.  Almost never do I use a GU for a half anymore.  Take it with me but almost never use it.

Now for 13 - 20 mile training runs I will typically eat a PBJ sandwich and use just water for up to about 15 or 16 miles.  Beyond 16 mile runs I will typically take in a GU around mile 10 or so.  Gatorade if its available on longer supported runs is always nice as well.  My marathon training group does supported long runs on the weekends where we have water and G-ade set out every 2 miles or so.

Some have mentioned taking G-ade during a race rather than gels which is perfectly fine to do.  Just remember that 1 GU is equal to 2 cups of G-ade in terms of carbs and electrolytes.  Some have queasy stomachs and can't tolerate 1 or the other so experiment in training and see how things go.

Will run for scenery.

Kristen, here's a few things to chew on :

1) I found that I really, really needed a lot of water and fuel to run X distance.  Then later, I didn't.  Whether mental or physical, the need was real.

2) It seems like you've been running/racing in some some brutal heat and humidity recently.  Cooler temps will definitely mean less thirst.

3) Gatorade and gels contain electrolytes.  Keeping your electrolytes topped off is a Good Thing.  Too much, however, can cause nausea, diarrhea and other problems.  So don't go crazy with it.

4) Like someone said, training your body to burn fat as a race fuel is something that matters mostly for longer (20+ miles) distances and for faster runners.  Your stomach can only absorb a certain number of calories per hour. (Eating more than this will only fill your stomach, not help you run any better.)  If your body is burning more than that number of calories per hour, the balance has to come from somewhere else.  For "shorter" runs (<=20 miles) the extra calories come from glycogen stored in your muscles; glycogen is an easy fuel to access.  Once the glycogen is used up, your body has to be able to "switch over" to fat burning mode or you'll hit the wall.

Stupid feet!

Stupid elbow!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I think it's most about time and not miles.

Damaris