Beginners and Beyond

WednesDAILIES: If load load created the problem, load will solve it (Read 36 times)

I would do nothing but easy runs for 3-4 weeks. Ramp up to a mileage level you are comfortable with, that won't stress your body but will maintain a decent fitness level. Vary the mileage, and keep something medium-longish once a week. OK to throw in some fartleks or strides. Once you have stabilized the mileage, start adding a tempo or intervals once a week. Schedule a 5k or 10k in a month or two, and work towards that.

Thanks Dave.  Seems right, I needed to hear it in someone else's voice though.  Also, treadmill without music? FTS.  I forgot my headphones when we took the kids to the Great Wolf Lodge (a convenient 20 minute drive from my house, hubs even went back and forth home to feed the dog in the evening and the next morning).  Unfortunately I realized this after he'd made the trip.  The "gym" was underground, depressing to say the least, and populated with me and one random dude using a weight machine incorrectly and grunting a lot.  Eventually I said phuckit, and just played music off my phone.  Some horrible children came in with what I can only assume passed as their "guardian," and immediately started dicking around on the other 2 treadmills.  After 15 minutes of being forced to endure my 90s gangster rap, the guardian decided this was not a wholesome environment and took the little shits away.  Worst 8 miles in recent memory, but I still call it a win when I can outsmart asshole kids.

I ran 5 this morning with the dog.  Miles 3 and 5 were fast because why not, but the rest was easy.  Winter storm approacheth here as well, we discovered our house leaks A LOT, so I should be greeted by a bunch of mopping up of floors when I get home this evening.  Tomorrow is RD, which is an excellent coincidence.

KCRuns

Beautiful commute this morning in a city slowed down by a good snow fall all night long (and still going on). I told three people that they're dumping their snow right on the sidewalks, one of them answered so I stopped and talked to him a bit. All good. I was in a good mood so no sparks means no explosion. Then a few words to a mister pulling his daughter in a sled, a hi to the little girl, then helped a lady step over a snow bank, cross the street, and hop over the snow bank on the other side, saluted one run commuter I crossed, smiled to the cyclists. A commute that put me in a very good mood.

Every day should start like that!

RD for me, I had to go to Milwaukee for work today.

LRB

HAY.

Busy with work and did 8 million things over the weekend so I'm still trying to catch up on like, normal housework things too, but popping in so y'all know I didn't fall off the face of the earth, lol. I ended up not running for a full week after my mile race to placate my right foot (which is NOT the foot I had PF in before, rude). Running in OTC orthotics and wearing shoes with support most of the time even just around the house, seems to be on the mend now. I ran 13 Sunday, 10 yesterday, abbreviated workout this morning. So far so good. Lots of rolling and stretching of feet and calves to keep everything loose.

Excellent.

Cyberic

Every day should start like that!

RD for me, I had to go to Milwaukee for work today.

This evening it was different Smile I was smiling at people and nobody was smiling back.

Not too far from my house I crossed path with a guy holding flowers in his left hand, with the elbow outwards. I held my right as much as I could, but my elbow touched him. This never happens. He kinda wanted it to happen. So he starts yelling at me. I stop, turn around, and walk towards him. He does the same, and yelling, screaming. All I'm telling him in a level voice to stop screaming, stop screaming. He finally stops, I put in two words, seriously, and he starts screaming again, on how he's so had it with runners on the sidewalks. If he ran, he'd run in the streets, and son on.

Since I was walking forward, he asked me if I wanted to fight, and I told him nope.

Something about me. If you scream at me, nothing you say will have an impact on me. Also I do not shy away from a physical encounter. I try to avoid it, but I usually stay there in the person's face. Voice very level.

Long story short, I told him "And a good day to you", waved, turned around and started running. Some people who had witnessed that were smiling back at me. I finally got the smiles I wanted.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

The Forerunner 25 got here today, I don't think I like it..... way too basic, I'm so used to the 220, before this 220 that I bought 3 years ago I had one for 2 years or so before it... This 25 doesn't have bluetooth, doesn't sync to my garmin app on my phone, it's settings are so damn basic it is almost annoying...

I'm seriously considering returning it and just buying another 220 on amazon for $199.99 or go ahead and buying the 235 for $50 more.....

Damn it!

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

RunningOnSand

This evening it was different Smile I was smiling at people and nobody was smiling back.

Not too far from my house I crossed path with a guy holding flowers in his left hand, with the elbow outwards. I held my right as much as I could, but my elbow touched him. This never happens. He kinda wanted it to happen. So he starts yelling at me. I stop, turn around, and walk towards him. He does the same, and yelling, screaming. All I'm telling him in a level voice to stop screaming, stop screaming. He finally stops, I put in two words, seriously, and he starts screaming again, on how he's so had it with runners on the sidewalks. If he ran, he'd run in the streets, and son on.

Since I was walking forward, he asked me if I wanted to fight, and I told him nope.

Something about me. If you scream at me, nothing you say will have an impact on me. Also I do not shy away from a physical encounter. I try to avoid it, but I usually stay there in the person's face. Voice very level.

Long story short, I told him "And a good day to you", waved, turned around and started running. Some people who had witnessed that were smiling back at me. I finally got the smiles I wanted.

WTF? That man clearly has a bunch of anger issues. I wonder what is going on in his world that makes him so explosive. Jeez. Nice job staying cool under pressure.

DavePNW

The Forerunner 25 got here today, I don't think I like it..... way too basic, I'm so used to the 220, before this 220 that I bought 3 years ago I had one for 2 years or so before it... This 25 doesn't have bluetooth, doesn't sync to my garmin app on my phone, it's settings are so damn basic it is almost annoying...

I'm seriously considering returning it and just buying another 220 on amazon for $199.99 or go ahead and buying the 235 for $50 more.....

Damn it!

You might check out the 35, it is more basic than the 235, but has a lot more features than the 25. I think it's $169.

I'm surprised you can find 220s on Amazon, since they don't make them anymore. Maybe they are refurbished?

Dave

LRB

The Forerunner 25 got here today, I don't think I like it..... way too basic...

Well, it was $99 so...

Cyberic

WTF? That man clearly has a bunch of anger issues. I wonder what is going on in his world that makes him so explosive. Jeez. Nice job staying cool under pressure.

I hope it made him feel better, because he didn't get his point across. 

LRB

A certified DB. You did the right thing.

Cyberic

What's a DB?

onemile

onemile

What's a DB?

Douche bag. Does that translate into French? 

onemile

I ran 8 with the other RP. Lotsa shitty uncleared sidewalks to deal with

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

You might check out the 35, it is more basic than the 235, but has a lot more features than the 25. I think it's $169.

I'm surprised you can find 220s on Amazon, since they don't make them anymore. Maybe they are refurbished?

I realized it is a refurbished 220.... not sure if I want to go that route at all..... I think I want something as close to the 220 as far as settings go, does the 35 have to have the heart rate or does it have a without heartrate option? I'll be looking it up.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)