Beginners and Beyond

Report and photos: 2019 Race 58 Day of the Dead 5K - some crazy costumes (Read 5 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

INTRO  

I am Scott aka Scottydog aka Scotty Dogg, runner since 1983, cancer survivor – caught very early, so I actually had a fairly easy time of it - retired Air Force, employee of University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA), friend of dogs, fun-runner, and all-around punster and goofball.  In 2003 I had spinal arthritis flare up and ever since then I’ve done the run/walk method since it hurts my back too much now to run continuously with no walk breaks.  I’m on what I call my “2F Plan” which stands for Fun and Finish.  My only goals for a race these days are finish everything I start, have fun along the way, and finish standing up with no ambulance waiting for me.  At events that I now do for fun I carry my camera, chase “Great Legs” to help motivate my slow old man self to keep moving forward, and take pictures before, during, and after the race. Sometimes I even get a nice post-race sweaty hug from one of the Great Legs ladies.   I then do a pictorial race report of my events.  I also carry dog biscuits with me to treat any dogs I may meet at a run – unless it’s a mean dog; then the biscuit goes in one direction and I go in another.  Hence my nickname “Scottydog.”

And a big thanks to runningahead.com for allowing me a “home” for my many many MANY race reports and photos.  Great site, free training log; calendars; running routes; maps; conversation forums for runners; and much more

I don’t have great camera skills and take photos with a camera that is like me  - old fashioned, lol - so sorry if a photo appears a bit blurry, etc.  However, they are free to save, share, etc.

Here is yet another of my photo reports.  Full commentary report below.     

Photos Slideshow is here: 

https://s166.photobucket.com/user/scottydog69/slideshow/2019%2520Race%2520Reports/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252057%2520Masquerade%25205K/2019%2520Race%2520Number%252058%2520Day%2520of%2520Dead%25205K?sort=2

BEFORE MY START

My 58th race of 2019 was Dia de Los Muertos 5K (Day of the Dead) held on 26 October at 5 pm in McCallister Park, San Antonio.  This is quite a popular local annual event, with several people wearing costumes and a post-race costume contest.   I arrived with about 45 minutes until start time and wandered around getting some photos of participants, both costumed and un-costumed.

Welcome to the event

photo IMG_6526_zpslryr350k.jpg photo IMG_6522_zpsisd9tpnf.jpg

photo IMG_6523_zpsimxa5jck.jpg

Various participants, volunteers, etc

photo IMG_6521_zpsbtafqhol.jpg

photo IMG_6525_zpsgpjb41ow.jpg

photo IMG_6527_zpsg803b3ey.jpg

photo IMG_6531_zpsic3fwvi1.jpg

photo IMG_6530_zpshvdddyaq.jpg

photo IMG_6534_zpsce9ot0pi.jpg

photo IMG_6533_zpsnbaxoebo.jpg

photo IMG_6535_zpsgwuq4wtm.jpg

photo IMG_6536_zpseiq98lds.jpg

photo IMG_6537_zpsnifcq052.jpg

photo IMG_6538_zpsb3gtofoo.jpg

photo IMG_6539_zpshqy7d6wn.jpg

photo IMG_6540_zpsccmwk8d4.jpg

photo IMG_6541_zpsnduf7ljp.jpg

photo IMG_6542_zpsgy7ncgnx.jpg

photo IMG_6543_zpscj862efp.jpg

photo IMG_6544_zpsszxysecd.jpg

photo IMG_6545_zpsstin3tro.jpg

photo IMG_6546_zpsaotrqyuz.jpg

photo IMG_6548_zpsk1hg4iyo.jpg

photo IMG_6549_zpsvvdxxgja.jpg

photo IMG_6550_zpsjpdohg8z.jpg

photo IMG_6551_zps99bo5vst.jpg

photo IMG_6553_zpshkraizn3.jpg

photo IMG_6554_zpsj925p7pp.jpg

ON THE COURSE

As this was my 2nd race of the day – and the first time I’ve done 2 races in one day since my pacemaker was put it – I took it pretty easy for this one.  I ended up with a time of 38:39 and was dead last in my age group.   Even so, I felt pretty good and enjoyed myself.  We started on one of the park roads, then did a route on some of the park’s paved off-road trails, finishing up with a short out-and-back on one of the park roads and then back to the finish the way we had come out.   I like this race, but that little out-and back part before we go to the finish always gets me, lol, because when we come off the last trail and have to turn right, I know that finish line is to the left and I want to go that way right to the finish, instead of having to do that out-and-back part first.  It’s all in my head, of course, but even so, I wish they’d figure out a way to give us a tad more on the course so we could just turn left off the trail and head right back to the finish.  All-in-all though, pretty nice course.  The weather did behave – sunny, blue skies, low humidity – although it was warmer at 78 degrees than my morning race  of 47 degrees at start time.

photo IMG_6555_zps9d4af3fy.jpg

photo IMG_6556_zpsrxnwh6d0.jpg

photo IMG_6557_zpslwgsg3o9.jpg

photo IMG_6558_zpsxn63ggsp.jpg

photo IMG_6559_zpsqngcgx7v.jpg

The one road we had to cross

photo IMG_6560_zpsmitcmlsh.jpg

photo IMG_6561_zpsjqfupttl.jpg

photo IMG_6562_zps9qvmvos0.jpg

A bit past the halfway mark on this trail

photo IMG_6563_zpsmzdvrwml.jpg

photo IMG_6564_zpsa6rdd8bz.jpg

photo IMG_6565_zpsxocrs7di.jpg

photo IMG_6567_zpsjpmxnfd5.jpg

Altho sometimes crowded at the beginning of the race, this event is stroller and dog friendly

photo IMG_6568_zpsabdamati.jpg

photo IMG_6569_zps67pmccug.jpg

photo IMG_6570_zpswlxfuost.jpg

Had to be warm for some of these folks in costume on the course

photo IMG_6572_zps71ihax5b.jpg

After My Finish

A nice finisher medal for all finishers.   Post-race goodies of Kiolbassa sausage wraps – the only sausage I can actually eat, so thankfully it is actually made here in San Antonio – and iced-down bottled water and beer.  Water first, then beer-and-sausage and then wandering around to get some post-race photos.

My friend here, left, is wearing the singlet race shirt

photo IMG_6573_zpsc2ecgazm.jpg

Yay, beer and sausage

photo IMG_6574_zpswkwh5wkb.jpg

photo IMG_6577_zpspldbfhr5.jpg

photo IMG_6578_zpsbf0mf0nu.jpg

photo IMG_6579_zpsfwt3aeyt.jpg

photo IMG_6580_zpsnfwibnkb.jpg

photo IMG_6581_zpsrnjenwim.jpg

photo IMG_6582_zpsfjxxolpx.jpg

Some of the costume contest folks

photo IMG_6583_zpskepeybkm.jpg

photo IMG_6584_zpsc0j8u2vn.jpg

photo IMG_6585_zpshxregovy.jpg

photo IMG_6586_zps5dingmcb.jpg

The Colonel with his chicken and chicken-tender lady. Makes you really want to go to KFC, doesn't it?

photo IMG_6587_zpsqrbtc67y.jpg

photo IMG_6589_zpsizbxun5m.jpg

photo IMG_6590_zps8yheiu9b.jpg

EPILOGUE

This is a really excellent event that has been put on for years by local race management company iaap (iaapweb.com).  Nice venue, nice course, really nice quality race shirts and finisher medal and great post-race goodies.   Even if you don’t do races, come out and be a volunteer and see the ‘show’; some of the participants have great imagination and the costumes are awesome.  I’ve done this one several times in the past, will continue do to it in the future whenever I can and certainly would recommend it to others.

Thanks to all the folks who made this event happen for we participants: iaapweb staff, all the sponsors, Kiolbassa sausage for all that great sausage, all the volunteers out there for us, park police keeping us safe at the one park road we had to cross, and anyone else I may not have mentioned here.  Thank you all so much!

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

GinnyinPA

I love the costumes and makeup. Looks like a fun event.