Beginners and Beyond

Normal to get running shoes an entire size bigger than you wear in other shoes? (Read 115 times)

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

I know it's not exact....I was just wondering if other people have found their running shoes are a lot bigger than their regular shoes. The guy at the store insisted over and over those shoes fit me and that was the way they "should" fit so I was wondering if it was common.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to

LRB

I know it's not exact....I was just wondering if other people have found their running shoes are a lot bigger than their regular shoes.

No, my running shoes fit, with fit being the operative word.

happylily

I wear size 7 in civilian shoes and either 8 or 8.5 in running shoes. The manufacturer usually will say if the half size is necessary. For Newtons Distancia and Asics DS-Racers for example, they recommend going half a size up. All other Asics models are size 8 for me.

I do get blisters regularly, but for some reason, I can run with them. They bother me mostly when I'm in bed (the friction of the blisters on the sheets, weird). I mostly get them on the one toe which has very little flexibility, and the one next to it as well. I figure it's a problem with my feet, not with the shoes, so I'm not interested in going through a dozen brands of shoes to find out that there's nothing I can do about the blisters. I put up with them and keep my mouth shut. I'm just happy I can run, and don't care at all if my toes are ugly (because they really are).

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My running shoes are 9s and I wear 8s in regular shoes.  And that's in Sauconys, and they seem to run bigger than both the Mizunos and Asics that I had been wearing before.

I am the same in both Sauconys and Mizunos.  I used to wear 8.5 and one day they started hurting.  Someone once told me that as runners, the foot tends to "grow" when the arch starts to fall.

Damaris

onemile

Yes. I wear an 8 in regular shoes, 9 in running shoes.

MothAudio

That should be the norm. Your feet swell due to continuous aerobic activity. I see lots of runners wear shoes that are either too narrow in the toe box or too small length-wise. You don't want to see your toes pressed up to the front of your shoes, there should be a gap.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile

happylily

That should be the norm. Your feet swell due to continuous aerobic activity. I see lots of runners wear shoes that are either too narrow in the toe box or too small length-wise. You don't want to see your toes pressed up to the front of your shoes, there should be a gap.

+1

Hip Redux

Yes, but they could still be too big, especially since the manufacturer says they run large.

There's an optimal fit somewhere in between floating in your shoes and toes pressed up against the front.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Yes, but they could still be too big, especially since the manufacturer says they run large.

There's an optimal fit somewhere in between floating in your shoes and toes pressed up against the front.

True.  However, if I remember, Kristin's Adidas run true to size.

Damaris

Nevrgivup

I haven't read through all the comments yet, but for me, I always get my running shoes a half size bigger. It also depends on the shoe. I wear a 9 in regular shoes and 9.5 in running shoes. The time I got an entire size bigger, I had all kinds of knee and hip problems. If they don't feel right now, I'd take them back while you can.

Running is my mental-Ctrl-Alt-Del. 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Did a TM run in them with thin socks.....I could feel some movement in my foot I may try a 9....thanks guys.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

happylily

No, no, no! Let's not end the thread just yet! We need the shoe size of everyone on the forum, dress AND running, for our records. come on, people! 

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Ok carry on Smile

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

For Lily:

Civilian: 10

Running: 12 (usually New Balance)

happylily

For Lily:

Civilian: 10

Running: 12 (usually New Balance)

Noted. Thanks!