Beginners and Beyond

Help me pick a marathon plan! (Read 74 times)

LRB

Looking back, I wonder if that wouldn't have been the better way to go for this training cycle actually.

Or eliminating the midweek long run altogether.  But this story will not be complete until you cross the finish line so hindsight is still being focused.

outoftheblue

I'm hoping you go with Pfitz 18/55, because that's that plan I intend to follow for my December marathon, and I always learn so much from you as you go through your training.  

Have you also looked at Pfitz's  up to 60 marathon plan in his Road Racing for Serious runners book?   It starts you out at 45 mpw, which may appeal to you more than that relatively slow start up of the 18/55 plan.

Life is good.

MothAudio

I don't think you have to choose either or, you can just tack one some miles to the shorter Pfitz schedule. I've used the two schedules back-to-back [within 6 months] and I actually had a better race [on a tougher course] using the shorter schedule. This ultimately taught me I no longer required more than 12 weeks to prep for any race. While I've had success with Pfitz * I much prefer Hudson but he front-loads speedwork whereas Pfitz adopts the more traditional method, so if you like that stick with it.

As far as long runs I'll do all of my easy paced long runs in the 1st half of my schedule [or leading into my schedule] and keeping with the rule of specificity add race pace in the last 6 weeks, gradually extending the volume @ race pace [Hudson and Carnova approach] but I won't attempt to do both; extend distance and increase pace. I'd rather pop a fast 17 miler than plod through a slow 22 miler the 2nd half of the schedule. Endurance is build in the months leading into your race schedule not in the last 4 weeks before your goal race. That's when the focus should be on speed and recovery. And I don't care if you're a 3 hour, 4 or 5 hour marathoner, the less time on your feet the less trauma, so speed is always important.

* I was running 3:30:00-3:30:21 on Pfitz and 3:28:13-3:29:16 with Hudson though neither of the Hudson schedules were ideal or without serious speed bumps. I improved my half marathon times by a couple of minutes on Hudson and based on that my marathon projection was the low 3:20's.

Youth Has No Age. ~ Picasso / 1st road race: Charleston Distance Run 15 Miler - 1974 / profile