Beginners and Beyond

Wednesdailies - Let the thaw begin (Read 49 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Good morning runners!  I'm happy to be popping in again to say hi to all of you good folks that I've missed over the last few months.  I don't know if I'll be as regular as I had gotten on here for a while, but I'd like to try and keep up with what you all are running these days.

I'm heading out for 10 or so with a friend or two this morning (whoever is brave enough), and then I'll get about 6 more tonight with our group run.  There won't be a spring marathon for me this year, instead my goal race is a 10 miler in mid April, so for a few more weeks I'm kinda just running without a plan and working on getting miles here and there.  That's nice in a way, although it is frustrating not feeling like I'm really training yet.  At least I'm not trying to squeeze speedwork into sub-zero weather yet like I'm sure some of you are.

Have a great day!

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

SIAR, great to see you! Enjoy your ten-miler.

Quarter-mile repeats, weights, abs, and push-ups tonight.

LRB

Supp yo!

You will find the 10 mile race a breeze to train for relatively speaking, and you may even have time for a life in the process.  Imagine that.It is currently -2 here which is 10 degrees warmer than yesterday at this time, but our thaw does not begin in earnest until Friday.  Still, with a high in the mid-teens today, I am sure it will feel springish compared to the crap we have had!

I am heading out for some miles on the belt, as there is a shit load of snow all over this place and running in it is completely impractical.  My outdoor runs will be limited to the weekends at the park where the paths are maintained for the immediate future.  Joy.

Supp B!

delicate flower

Goooooood morning, el queso pinatas!  Nice to see you on the internets again, SIAR!

8 miles on the treadmill last night, including 5 miles at GMP.  7:45 avg pace for the run.  Treadmill speedwork planned after work today.  I need to get outside again.  I don't mind the treadmill running but it just ain't as fun and ain't as good for training. 

<3

Mmmmm...beer

Good morning everyone!

Gonna wait for daylight so I can see the ice, 15 miles on tap for today.

Hope everyone has a great day and stays warm. Smile

-Dave

My running blog

Goals | sub-18 5k | sub-3 marathon 2:56:46!!

happylily

Hey, Mr T. is back! Stay awhile, please! :-) I've never raced 10 miles officially, but that would probably be my favorite distance.

I woke up 30 minutes ago, came downstairs, threw the old coffee filter in the garbage, put a new one in, put water in the coffee-maker and I pressed the button. When my poor SO, who is sick as a dog with a cold, came downstairs for breakfast, he congratulated me on boiling water. I had forgotten to put coffee in. Sometimes you get it right, sometimes you don't. 

12 GA miles after work tonight. Sixteen years ago to the day, on Jan. 8th, Montreal was on day #2 of an ice storm that left some parts with no power for as long as a month. I was 32, in a delivery room, busy pushing and pushing. The power went off for about 10 minutes, but I didn't give a hoot. Minutes later, DS was born. He was as beautiful as a summer peach. My handsome young man is 16 today and last night he did 50 push-ups for his dad and me. That made mama proud. 

Have a great day, everyone!

PRs: Boston Marathon, 3:27, April 15th 2013

Cornwall Half-Marathon, 1:35, April 27th 2013

18 marathons, 18 BQs since 2010

I woke up 30 minutes ago, came downstairs, threw the old coffee filter in the garbage, put a new one in, put water in the coffee-maker and I pressed the button. When my poor SO, who is sick as a dog with a cold, came downstairs for breakfast, he congratulated me on boiling water. I had forgotten to put coffee in. Sometimes you get it right, sometimes you don't. 

Been there, done that. The problem is you need your coffee in the morning before you can make coffee. I usually load up the pot the night before, and set the timer, so all I have to do is get myself out of bed, which is enough trouble. It's brewing as we speak.

SIAR, welcome back dude!

Just finished 8 miles on the treadmill, with whom I have become great frenemies with lately. Oh i am anxious to get back outside. Still super cold, and now that all the roads are cleared of snow, everything's ice. They closed school for the 3rd day in a row.

Have a great day everyone.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Woke up with a migraine so here I am at work lamenting I ever drove here.  7 recovery miles tonight.

SIAR, great to see you here!

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

3.2 miles for me yesterday after work.   Not a bad temp at all, 43 degrees with a 'feels like' of 41.  Wind made it feel a bit chillier.  Nice run/walk though, through the Zoo area and also went on the paths at the Japanese Tea Garden to enjoy the view there.   Today will probably do a run around the university campus. It's warmed up here a bit in San Antonio.  44 degrees this morning when I woke up and will be a high of 57 today.  Also raining here too...and not that pleasant rain, either, but that dreary, cold stuff, yuk.

Welcome back, SIAR.  Good luck with all your miles and all your upcoming race plans.

I wish I had half your energy, Basya!  I do just ONE workout a day and then I'm pooped.  Good thoughts and hopes for that missing boy in your area.

Happy belt running, LRB.  Glad you get to go outside at least a couple days a week.

Hope you get your wish soon, Baboon and DaveP, about getting outside again!

15 miles, with ice, good luck with that, Dave!

Happy birthday to your son, Lily!  And congrats on boiling water.  Hope your SO feels better soon.

Sorry about the migraine, Damaris, hope that resolves quickly!   Good luck with your miles tonite.

Oh, folks, by the way...I was counting up my log miles.   From October 5, when I posted my goal about reaching 45,000 lifetime miles by my  60th birthday on Feb 10, 2014, I had 260 miles to go from then.  Since Oct 5, I have done 220 miles.   So 40 miles to go between now and my birthday.  Even with my low weekly mileage - I do about 15 - 18 miles a week these days since because of my stupid arthritis I can't do that high weekly mileage I used to do before - I should be able to make it before my birthday.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Basya...Looks like your workouts still have the same full body flavor as before...I sure wish I could be that consistent with workouts other than running!

LRB...A life sounds like a double edged sword...give me too much free time and I'll probably go getting into trouble.  I do think it will be fun to train a little differently.  Sorry for jumping the gun on the thaw.  It is all about perspective though; this morning's 8 degree temps were practically balmy.  Good luck on the t-mill.

Baboon...Nice to see you're still hoofing along strongly.  Good run with the 8/5, and good luck getting out again soon.  With the right clothes it's really pretty manageable.

D2the2nd...Hope you have a nice 15 miler today; that's definitely a long run in the colder temps.

Happylily...I'll try to stay!  I kinda burnt myself out at the end of last year by posting in way too many places, so I just needed a break.  I always remember your story about your labor with your son, and it definitely deserves retelling.  Happy birthday to him...and pretty impressive he was knocking out 50 pushups.  Enjoy your 12.

DaveP...Well done getting the 8 in on the mill.  Hopefully you'll be able to get out soon.

Docket...Always good to see you as well Smile  You and those poor migraines!

Scotty...Thanks, I appreciate it.  Sorry about your rain, but it's hard to be too sympathetic with that high temp of yours ha.  So do you have a target for how many races you may run this year?

Ended up running 9.69 miles with my store owner/training partner.  We tried a new route...definitely a challenge at 550 feet of gain with 3 big climbs, but our pace was surprisingly swift.  Now I just have to pass the day with some work until I can run again ha.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Basya...Looks like your workouts still have the same full body flavor as before...I sure wish I could be that consistent with workouts other than running!

LRB...A life sounds like a double edged sword...give me too much free time and I'll probably go getting into trouble.  I do think it will be fun to train a little differently.  Sorry for jumping the gun on the thaw.  It is all about perspective though; this morning's 8 degree temps were practically balmy.  Good luck on the t-mill.

Baboon...Nice to see you're still hoofing along strongly.  Good run with the 8/5, and good luck getting out again soon.  With the right clothes it's really pretty manageable.

D2the2nd...Hope you have a nice 15 miler today; that's definitely a long run in the colder temps.

Happylily...I'll try to stay!  I kinda burnt myself out at the end of last year by posting in way too many places, so I just needed a break.  I always remember your story about your labor with your son, and it definitely deserves retelling.  Happy birthday to him...and pretty impressive he was knocking out 50 pushups.  Enjoy your 12.

DaveP...Well done getting the 8 in on the mill.  Hopefully you'll be able to get out soon.

Docket...Always good to see you as well Smile  You and those poor migraines!

Scotty...Thanks, I appreciate it.  Sorry about your rain, but it's hard to be too sympathetic with that high temp of yours ha.  So do you have a target for how many races you may run this year?

Ended up running 9.69 miles with my store owner/training partner.  We tried a new route...definitely a challenge at 550 feet of gain with 3 big climbs, but our pace was surprisingly swift.  Now I just have to pass the day with some work until I can run again ha.

Nope, no set goal for this year.  This year, I am just going to 'kick back' and just let it happen,  'come what may'.   Since I AM turning 60 this year, I gotta start taking it a bit easier now, right?  Dang, that's 420 in dog years!  

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

StepbyStep-SH

Welcome back, SIAR!

Lily - Happy birthday to your son, and congratulations to you!

Heading to the Y in a bit for speedwork on the TM. At least 10 miles with a ladder/pyramid interval workout. Martial arts tonight; my instructor wants me to test for the next belt level on Friday. Yikes!

20,000 miles behind me, the world still to see.

Brrrrrrr

Uffda

Morning dailies. Hello SIAR!

Lily, congrats to your DS on his birthday.

Last night was my DD's first swim lessons of this little season. We do parent/child since she's still very young. She looks a little older than she is, so I think her instructor thought that she could do more. She's only 19 months old so she doesn't get the counting down and jump in the pool. I just try to count down and let her see me and then slip her in to the pool. She looks around the whole time like "There are kids everywhere!" except without the talking because she can't say too much yet.

I did find out some sad news after I got home. I found out that my Grandmother passed away unexpectedly. She's the wife of my Grandpa who passed away in November. It's strange how couples like that who live forever pass away within months of each other. I think the unexpectedness has stung my mom. I think death puts life in to perspective, and can help you build better relationships.

On the running side, I did my first Daniel's Plan A Interval workout. I did 10 min Easy, then 4 x (4 min I + 3 min recovery), then 10 more min Easy. It was a good run.

- Andrew

Zelanie

Howdy, dailies!

Yesterday I got a chance to work an extra weight watchers shift after school, which I took, but it meant that I didn't get out the door for my run until almost 8:00.  But I still got in my 9.5, yay.  Temps were still in the 40s with more of a mist than a rain, so it was pretty nice out.

Today my plan calls for 5 x 2min30sec at between 3K and 5K pace, and the group track workout is 400-800-400-800-400 at Interval pace.  Close enough, I say!  So I will probably run with the group to have some company.  Those 800s are going to suck because I haven't done much speedwork in a while.

SIAR- I have a 10 miler coming up in March.  I ran it last year, and like the distance a lot.  Close to HM pace, without that last 5K at the end!

Basya- Good luck in your intervals!

LRB- Hope the hamster wheel is tolerable.

Phil- Good luck with the speedwork!

D2- 15 icy miles, yikes!  But better than 15 miles getting chased by a bear!

Lily- Happy birthday to your DS!  My DD will turn 16 on the 27th.

DaveP- Too funny! Glad you're able to still get your miles in with the ice.

D- Hope the migraine improves!

Scotty- Hiya!

Step- Good luck on the TM workous!

Andrew- So sorry to hear about your grandmother.  I am getting the new Daniels book any day now.  Amazon was failing, so I finally just ordered it from Human Kinetics.

kristin10185

Skirt Runner

Quick check-in....I got my swim in last night. About 25 minutes in the pool, zoned out and forgot to count laps. I feel like I'm getting better at breathing while swimming. SRD today.

PRs:   5K- 28:16 (5/5/13)      10K- 1:00:13 (10/27/13)    4M- 41:43 (9/7/13)   15K- 1:34:25  (8/17/13)    10M- 1:56:30 (4/6/14)     HM- 2:20:16 (4/13/14)     Full- 5:55:33 (11/1/15)

I started a blog about running :) Check it out if you care to