Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES (Read 32 times)

LRB

I ran 7. Definitely not recovered yet 

Do you have a workout on tap for this week? I've decided to just jog this weekend.

sdWhiskers

It's really root canal week, looks like.  And a tooth infection, sigh.  Apparently, my 25 year old root canal needs to be redone and if not, take that tooth out.  Oy.  That explains the pain, I guess.

Ugh, that's what I dealt with last year. Root canal couldn't be fixed and so I had it extracted, then implant.  At least it's a fixable pain, albeit not cheap.

sdWhiskers

sdWhiskers, is the hotel an official race hotel? When I've done the Atlantic City races, we ask for a late check-out due to the race and they accommodate us.

Yes, it's one of the partner hotels.

Half Crazy K 2.0

Yes, it's one of the partner hotels.

Usually the partner hotels (at least in AC)a fine with the late check-out as long as you ask.

sdWhiskers

So I'm pretty irritated right now about this. I call the hotel and am told there's no way to know if late check out is available until I check in. And then it could cost between $15-80. Riiiiight.

Runshortii

Work happy hour last night so I had 2 beers compared to the 0 that I normally drink. Definitely dragging this morning but I was still up at 5am to get in 5 easy miles.

Question regarding hotels and marathon running: for CIM, I'm just now booking travel but I booked the hotel months ago. The race is Sunday morning and we'd like to fly home Sunday late afternoon/evening. I won't be done running by check out time...how do hotels normally let you deal with that situation? Will they still let me shower somewhere when I'm done running? Obviously, I haven't called to ask that yet but I was curious what others usually do. For my last marathon, we stayed an extra day so it wasn't an issue.

For Chicago the hotel I'm staying at grants you a late checkout (2pm) if you ask at check in

Runshortii

So I'm pretty irritated right now about this. I call the hotel and am told there's no way to know if late check out is available until I check in. And then it could cost between $15-80. Riiiiight.

Well that's stupid.

Runshortii

I ran 8 with 2x10 minutes @ 7:00 pace with 3 minute recovery. It was definitely hard but not as horrible as I imagined it would be, but doing anything below HMP when all you've been doing is MP is a wake up call for sure

Half Crazy K 2.0

I wonder if it's worth complaining to CIM? Like what is the point of partner hotels if they don't accommodate runners.

DavePNW

Question regarding hotels and marathon running: for CIM, I'm just now booking travel but I booked the hotel months ago. The race is Sunday morning and we'd like to fly home Sunday late afternoon/evening. I won't be done running by check out time...how do hotels normally let you deal with that situation? Will they still let me shower somewhere when I'm done running? Obviously, I haven't called to ask that yet but I was curious what others usually do. For my last marathon, we stayed an extra day so it wasn't an issue.

I agree with others to request a late checkout. LRB's strategy works in some cases, but you never know. Every hotel is different and it depends how booked up they are the next day. One time I forgot to ask for late checkout till either night before or morning of, and they informed me they had already hit their limit of late checkouts. I made it in time, but ended up with about 10 min to shower/dress/pack, a special challenge with marathon legs.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

A lot of times, when you "ask" about late checkouts, you get the spiel about getting charged an extra day if you're one second past it.

When I ran CIM I didn't bring it up, I just did my normal thing and showed up hobbling to the front counter wearing my medal.

I do not recall how far past the checkout I went, but me, and dozens of others were there for the event, and it was a non issue.

They won't charge you, really, if you come in 1-2 hours post checkout.  I've done that on races that have gone slower than I expected and still be able to shower and all.

Having a husband inside the room guarding the fort helps.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ugh, that's what I dealt with last year. Root canal couldn't be fixed and so I had it extracted, then implant.  At least it's a fixable pain, albeit not cheap.

Ugh!  He described it as an 8 month ordeal. Same for you?  I was like CAN I RUN RIGHT AFTER EACH PROCEDURE?  He looked at me like 

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

WTF.  And then when you arrive, they'll tell you oh, we already gave all late checkouts before you came in.  Fuckers.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

For Chicago the hotel I'm staying at grants you a late checkout (2pm) if you ask at check in

See above.  If the Congress, they have denied me once I check in for they are full for those requests.  But you can still get into the room after the checkout time (I've done it) and never be charged more.

Damaris

KCRuns

I'd pay $15 for that, $80 is crazy.  Have a back up plan just in case they don't let you have late check out.  Everybody will be asking for it, and they will only give it to so many (at some point, cleaning has to begin so they can check in new guests at 4p).  If they're not sold out for the Sunday night, there's a better chance for the late check out.

I don't know what's between your hotel and the airport, but there may be some shower options along the way.  If there's a nice truck stop (like Flying J or something), they usually have clean showers.  Or if you're a member of the airline club, there may be showers available at the airport lounge.  sleepinginairports.net has some good info for most airports.