Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES (Read 32 times)

DavePNW

I wonder if it's worth complaining to CIM? Like what is the point of partner hotels if they don't accommodate runners.

Really. But again, you never know. One time I stayed in an "official race hotel" and asked what time breakfast started. They said 6:00; this was a 7:00 start where we had to be bused over. WTF? I didn't think to ask till about 8:00 PM the night before; I asked repeatedly of various hotel employees because I was incredulous. Anyway, I had to run out and find a grocery store to pick up something. Lesson learned, I don't assume anything anymore. Although a couple times the hotel assured me there was no early breakfast, then I'd go down early just to look for coffee, and breakfast was there.

Dave

LRB

I agree with others to request a late checkout. LRB's strategy works in some cases, but you never know. Every hotel is different and it depends how booked up they are the next day. One time I forgot to ask for late checkout till either night before or morning of, and they informed me they had already hit their limit of late checkouts. I made it in time, but ended up with about 10 min to shower/dress/pack, a special challenge with marathon legs.

Yeah it can get to the point where if it's out of your control it just is.

Any time I've checked out late and expected to pay a fee however, I wasn't charged one. But I've always checked out prior to an hour before check in time (usually 2:00), so that might explain that.

DavePNW

I don't know what's between your hotel and the airport, but there may be some shower options along the way.  If there's a nice truck stop (like Flying J or something), they usually have clean showers.  Or if you're a member of the airline club, there may be showers available at the airport lounge.  sleepinginairports.net has some good info for most airports.

Another option: find a nearby gym, a lot of them will give you a day pass for ~$20.

Dave

KCRuns

Another option: find a nearby gym, a lot of them will give you a day pass for ~$20.

OR, sign up on the gym website in advance for a free guest pass.  That includes locker room/shower.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Most hotels that don't let you stay late have gyms and if they have an indoor pool, they normally have showers.  Start there and then if not, looked for a gym or YMCA.  If not, buy Chubs for cleaning.  BTDT.

Damaris

DavePNW

Most hotels that don't let you stay late have gyms and if they have an indoor pool, they normally have showers. 

Some may just have the open showers in the pool area to use for rinsing off before/after swimming. But post-marathon, I would totally take a full shower in one of those things if it was the only option.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Some may just have the open showers in the pool area to use for rinsing off before/after swimming. But post-marathon, I would totally take a full shower in one of those things if it was the only option.

I always bring a bathing suit for that reason.  Depends on the hotel but I've even stayed at small and cheaper hotels that have showers at the gym.  It depends on what they decided for that gym.  Might be worth a call to the hotel and ask directly.

Damaris

sdWhiskers

Ugh!  He described it as an 8 month ordeal. Same for you?  I was like CAN I RUN RIGHT AFTER EACH PROCEDURE?  He looked at me like 

Yeah, it takes that long. I had my oral surgeon do the extraction with anesthesia and was told not to run for the next 3-4 days. Then a few months later the implant was put in (more anesthesia!) and again, was told not to run for 3-4 days. Then months later (not sure how many) finally the crown. I listened to him about the no running because 1) I'm a rule follower, 2) MrWhiskers is a nurse and kept reminding me why you need rest for healing and 3) when you can't eat much, you feel like crap and have zero energy. Each time, it probably took me close to 2 weeks before my HR wasn't crazy high while running.

The good part is the pain should be gone as soon as the tooth is gone.

Most hotels that don't let you stay late have gyms and if they have an indoor pool, they normally have showers.  Start there and then if not, looked for a gym or YMCA.  If not, buy Chubs for cleaning.  BTDT.

Bring a bar of soap in the pool?...or is that frowned upon? 

Legs are tired. I’m tired. Hit my snooze for a freakin hour this morning. Stupid ass. Ran 7M 8:58avg. 

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hilarious, since hubby was having a root canal yesterday and he was planning to go to Pilates last night.  The instructor and me were like WTF, he can't be upside down after that...

I am a prosecutor of rule breakers but not necessarily a rule follower. Wink  But yeah, that has to be planned specifically for me to run around it. FTS.

Damaris

LRB

Hilarious, since hubby was having a root canal yesterday and he was planning to go to Pilates last night.  The instructor and me were like WTF, he can't be upside down after that...

I am a prosecutor of rule breakers but not necessarily a rule follower. ;)  But yeah, that has to be planned specifically for me to run around it. FTS.

I am so glad to see you admit this because it has been completely mind boggling to me for the 7 years I've known you!

delicate flower

Ironman swim cancelled. Oh well... I can only control my own race and attitude. Still going to be a great day. New goal is to break 10 hours.

<3

onemile

Do you have a workout on tap for this week? I've decided to just jog this weekend.

That fartlek yesterday and then tomorrow 3MP, 2HMP, 1 at 10k

onemile

Ironman swim cancelled. Oh well... I can only control my own race and attitude. Still going to be a great day. New goal is to break 10 hours.

That stinks 

LRB

Sorry to hear that Boon. Is there any other upcoming event that you could race instead?