Beginners and Beyond

ThursDAILIES (Read 32 times)

delicate flower

How does it work for people wishing to qualify for Hawaii? Does it still count?

It still counts the same way.  The way it works is the top two or three in each AG in every race win slots and you have to be at the awards ceremony to claim it and pay for it.  If it's not claimed, it goes to the next finisher in the AG and so on until the slots are claimed.  That process is called "rolldown."  Typically rolldown doesn't get past five spots in the AG, although I've seen it go as far as 30.  Statistically this will be my best shot to win a spot, although my odds are still very, very slim.  I simply cannot compete with the top finishers in my AG. It's not like qualifying for Boston where everyone gets thrown into the same pool at the end of the year.  Each individual full Ironman race has Kona slots up for grabs.

This race will be a time trial start on the bike.  Two athletes at a time every six seconds, in bib number order.  2900 people and I am bib 2161, which means I will start near the back of the field and will spend the entire race passing a shitload of people.  The first age groupers start at 8:30.  I'll probably start closer to 10:00.  DW will start an hour before me and we'll probably finish up the bike at about the same time.

<3

delicate flower

Did you guys see the Boston cutoff is 4:52?  And qualifying standards will be five minutes faster staring in 2020.  I'm in favor of that to cut down all the registration angst.

<3

Cyberic

Did you guys see the Boston cutoff is 4:52?  And qualifying standards will be five minutes faster staring in 2020.  I'm in favor of that to cut down all the registration angst.

I had not seen that. I think it's better that way. When you'll qualify, you'll have a real chance to get in.

And thanks for tthe IM info

Runshortii

https://www.runnersworld.com/news/a23481338/boston-marathon-qualifying-times/?utm_medium=social-media&utm_source=facebook&utm_campaign=socialflowFBRW

Just saw it. Onemile was right

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
                  05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

RunningOnSand

i will never qualify, now.  I had been hoping to run a qualifying race next year, but now....ugh. But I also agree with Cyber's sentiment about not having angst about "will i get in or not ,even w/a bq time?"

i ran 4.6'ish recovery miles.

RunningOnSand

Oh. And some of you may remember I'm planning on running the Hamilton Marathon in early Nov. Dh and I rented a condo from an AirBnB site months ago and booked our airline tickets with miles.

So this morning I get an email from the property management dude from AirBnB and our condo is no longer available??? So they are offering another condo, slightly cheaper, and if that doesn't work they have some properties in a town 15 min away.

As if an out of town marathon isn't stressful enough, ugh, now I'm wondering if they actually WILL have our condo for us when we arrive???? 

Runshortii

Do you guys think everyone that qualifies now will get in for 2020? Or do you think they’ll still be a time cutoff below the BQ? Now I’m more nervous for Chicago because I really wanted a solid BQ -5, but after my workout today my coach seems to think I can do 3:25ish (assuming it’s not 80 degrees) so we’ll see

I think it’s a good idea too. So in recent years if you ran 5min under your BQ time you were pretty safe right?

ROS- Ughh what a mess. I’m sure it will all work out.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

DavePNW

Holy crap. We knew it was in the 4's, but would not have guessed it would be that close to 5.

I feel extremely fortunate I had the day I did last fall. I did not even target BQ-5, because I didn't think I could get there, and of course no idea the cutoff would be that high. I just ended up with a really, really good day.

Dave

DavePNW

Do you guys think everyone that qualifies now will get in for 2020? Or do you think they’ll still be a time cutoff below the BQ? Now I’m more nervous for Chicago because I really wanted a solid BQ -5, but after my workout today my coach seems to think I can do 3:25ish (assuming it’s not 80 degrees) so we’ll see

Of course no one knows, but if I had to guess I'd say there will still be a cutoff. People know they need to aim higher, and some of them will get there. If you have good weather, sure, go for 3:25. If a broken-down old man like me can do it, you can. The worst that can happen is you crash & burn, right? Then reload for the spring.

Dave

Cyberic

I think it’s a good idea too. So in recent years if you ran 5min under your BQ time you were pretty safe right?

ROS- Ughh what a mess. I’m sure it will all work out.

Yep. In recent years, and even this year, a BQ-5 would get you in, but by a smaller and smaller margin every year.

Even by changing the Q times by 5 minutes, it is very possible there will be a cutoff again, IMO. Depends on how many stronger runners register

Cyberic

ROS, I was afraid that might happen with my AirBnB reservation in Boston (Somerville). Everything went good, but I understand your stress.

Cyberic

Oh, and if you feel like thanking me for leaving my spot open for Boston, it's not necessary. I already know how kind it is of me to do so 

DavePNW

ROS, I was afraid that might happen with my AirBnB reservation in Boston (Somerville). Everything went good, but I understand your stress.

I booked a hotel through MarathonTours.com, so hopefully that is pretty reliable.

Dave