Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdailies (Read 38 times)

DavePNW

LOL. Maybe it's part of his routine. aka run for x minutes then take a break and do pushups/etc. Like doing HIIT or something. 

I actually have a lot of freaking nerve ridiculing the guy. I have no idea what his routine is, but at least he does some kind of cross-training, which is something that can't be said for me.

Dave

sdWhiskers

I will provide more info, but I find the question without background funnier.

I was talking to my colleague (Dominic) about weight vs running fast, and another colleague of ours, a woman (Sonia), walks in. So I tell Dominic that he's too fat, and he'd run faster if he were skinnier. Sonia says Dominic is not too fat, and he looks good as he is. So Dominic asks Sonia the question: but what is more important: to be able to pick up girls, or to run fast?

I think of the word pairs as boys/girls or guys/gals. Grown men talking about picking up girls has a creepy Hugh Hefner vibe to it.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I will provide more info, but I find the question without background funnier.

I was talking to my colleague (Dominic) about weight vs running fast, and another colleague of ours, a woman (Sonia), walks in. So I tell Dominic that he's too fat, and he'd run faster if he were skinnier. Sonia says Dominic is not too fat, and he looks good as he is. So Dominic asks Sonia the question: but what is more important: to be able to pick up girls, or to run fast?

To that point, I'd say that if we're purely being judged on our looks, women would not readily pick an elite runner's physique as their most desired body shape.  Fortunately, I think women are far less inclined to judge men just based on their looks, so feel free to run on.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

sdWhiskers

6 hilly miles with the sun coming up after the 2nd mile. Made me feel like I was late.

Cyberic

I think of the word pairs as boys/girls or guys/gals. Grown men talking about picking up girls has a creepy Hugh Hefner vibe to it.

I get your point. We have a famous lawyer (famous in the sense that she has her tv shows), and although she speaks french and her shows are in french, she is an anglophone. She freaks out when she hears us talking about "girls" like we do. But it's really part of our culture as even women will often refer themselves as girls. We don't cringe at that here. She (the lawyer) insists that there are words for each, and we should use the proper one.

Long story short, I understand what you're saying, but I'll probably make the error again, as that's the way we talk in Quebec.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I use "girls" to designate the half of the human population of the female gender, as they're not "guys".

Lol

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

KCRuns

Dave, during the Hot Chocolate 15k on Sunday, I saw a guy stop at the mile markers and do push ups.  DURING A RACE!  I found this more unbelievable than the hordes of people who stop to take pictures at the mile markers.

I ran 6ish run commute this morning.  Based on where the usual mile markers fall, it was right at 6 miles, but it's a best guess.  GPS went a little bonkers this morning and gave me a 5:35 mile, which is hilarious and won't ever happen in real life.  But it was fun to see that on my watch and dream a little.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I get your point. We have a famous lawyer (famous in the sense that she has her tv shows), and although she speaks french and her shows are in french, she is an anglophone. She freaks out when she hears us talking about "girls" like we do. But it's really part of our culture as even women will often refer themselves as girls. We don't cringe at that here. She (the lawyer) insists that there are words for each, and we should use the proper one.

Long story short, I understand what you're saying, but I'll probably make the error again, as that's the way we talk in Quebec.

I really don't get that whole freaking out over words, I mean unless proven otherwise, I just assume a guy is talking about a legal aged chick. Some like to say woman, lady, girl, gal, whatever...

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Baboon

delicate flower

I expected a busy as hell work day today and so far it has not disappointed.  And on that topic, a tiny little dead mouse sure has a way of stinking up the office.  How could something so small generate such stink!?

Anyway, I ran 7 easy miles before work.  Cold hands the whole time because the gloves I wore were too light.  I voted after that before heading into work.  I am supposed to run a double today but I doubt that will happen due to work.

<3

LRB

10 miles. Guy ran past me, then I saw him pull over to the side of the trail. Thought he was going to stretch, but instead he started doing push-ups. WTF? Save that for the finish line, buddy.

You crack me the hell up man!

LRB

I expected a busy as hell work day today and so far it has not disappointed.  And on that topic, a tiny little dead mouse sure has a way of stinking up the office.  How could something so small generate such stink!?

Anyway, I ran 7 easy miles before work.  Cold hands the whole time because the gloves I wore were too light.  I voted after that before heading into work.  I am supposed to run a double today but I doubt that will happen due to work.

Oof.

LRB

Good morning.

Freesoul...nothing wrong with a little extra sleep!

My body hates me. My cold seems to have relapsed. I finished the last of my antibiotic on Saturday and suddenly I feel crummy again - same symptoms as before. I'm waiting for the office to open and 9am and hoping that I can call in and they'll just order me some more drugs, because apparently my body can't sustain itself without them.

Man, get you some kale and asparagus and eat it all. Then pop a vitamin and maybe eat a raw beet or two ffs. 

DavePNW

Dave

LRB

I say girls too, unless females are present, then I'll say ladies or women or chicks. With chicks, I always have to ask if that's okay because I never know when something old and acceptable is now offensive. 

There are times however, when using girls is appropriate. The front counter at my work for instance is all women and they are referred to as the girls up front all the time. Not just here either, I've seen that at other places of employment as well. But, I've actually never asked if they were bothered by it...

The show the Golden Girls comes to mind but maybe by that age anything goes. 

LRB

Speaking of illness, I may be suffering from alcohol poisoning. lol