Beginners and Beyond

Monday is the same MONdailies (Read 24 times)

LRB

LRB

I'll be heading out to jog in a few.

'Sup, Yo?

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Likely a rest day for me today as yesterday was a tiring day.  Went with my older son to finish our checkout dives for scuba certification, then ran a 5k with my younger son to see him move his PR from 27:25 to 25:14, placing 3rd in the 15-19 age group (as a 15-year-old).  A summer of running and growing did wonders.  I'm sure he'll beat my 23:59 PR soon enough (then maybe he'll pace me to a new PR)

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
        10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Not the same workday run for me….

3 flat, mostly less slow, then 0.5 wiggly roadcrown hill

Changed the flat format, had been doing slow quarters but upping it to 3 today was:

.25 less slow

.50 less slow

.60 less slow

.75 less slow

Felt real good

delicate flower

YO!  Got up early and ran for an hour...8 miles.  I wanted to run a couple more miles but had to get home due to teh PM.  I have a second run on the schedule later today.

<3

LRB

Likely a rest day for me today as yesterday was a tiring day.  Went with my older son to finish our checkout dives for scuba certification, then ran a 5k with my younger son to see him move his PR from 27:25 to 25:14, placing 3rd in the 15-19 age group (as a 15-year-old).  A summer of running and growing did wonders.  I'm sure he'll beat my 23:59 PR soon enough (then maybe he'll pace me to a new PR)

You're a certified diver and all we get is a blurb? Come on man, we need details! Were you nervous, did visibility suck, did you kill it, are you headed to Turks and Caicos for your first dive trip??

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

You're a certified diver and all we get is a blurb? Come on man, we need details! Were you nervous, did visibility suck, did you kill it, are you headed to Turks and Caicos for your first dive trip??

Visibility was less than 10' at the quarry due in large part to the high level of runoff from Ida.  That said, we did see several bass in the 12" - 14" size range, as well as some smaller fish, and got to explore a sunken fire truck.  I was certainly nervous - in part for myself and in part for my son, who's autistic.  I wasn't originally going to take the class myself, but it became clear my son would have a much better chance of succeeding if I were there to help translate between him and the instructor - not literally translating English, but rather behaviors, responses, & expectations.  The instructor was great at getting to learn what did and did not work with my son and I am very glad to have taken the class now as it was a very cool experience.  We don't have any dive trips planned in the near future as my son is focused on his classes now (he has organic chemistry this semester).  That said, I'd love to get back out to the quarry again, but I need to find a dive buddy - I think the dive shop has some programs for that.

wolvmar

UM 45 Ohio 23

Ran an easy 5.8 this morning back at home. More fun was a 10 mile run Sunday that included some uphill on a trail (along a road) into the foothills around Boulder. Did 6 miles around the campus and in/around the football stadium (Folsom FIeld) on Saturday morning. Boulder was a great town to visit. Lots of good restaurants, shops, etc., along an area called The Pearl Street Mall. Football game between CU and Texas A&M, in Denver, was a snoozer but the pre-game food/drink was great as we meet some friends our group used to work with who now live in the Denver area. Great dinner and drinks back in Boulder that night and a big brunch (post my run) on Sunday morning before we left. Fun time although I'm feeling a bit tired this morning!

This was our 15th football weekend. Following is a list we complied as we are getting old and forgetting where we went each year!

2005- Tennessee vs Georgia
                  2006- LSU vs Ole Miss
                  2007 - Texas vs Texas Tech
                  2009 - Nebraska vs Oklahoma
                  2010 - Georgia vs Auburn
                  2011 - Boise State vs Utah State
                  2012- TCU vs Oklahoma
                  2013 - South Carolina vs Florida
                  2014 - TCU vs Kansas State / Oklahoma vs Baylor
                  2015 - Alabama vs LSU
                  2016 - Florida vs South Carolina / Florida State vs Boston College
                  2017 - Wisconsin vs Iowa
                  2018- West Virginia vs TCU
                  2019 - Georgia vs Florida
                  2021 - Colorado vs Texas A&M

Next year, Oregon is at the top of the list. Just have to figure out what game when the schedule is set.

LRB

Visibility was less than 10' at the quarry due in large part to the high level of runoff from Ida.  That said, we did see several bass in the 12" - 14" size range, as well as some smaller fish, and got to explore a sunken fire truck.  I was certainly nervous - in part for myself and in part for my son, who's autistic.  I wasn't originally going to take the class myself, but it became clear my son would have a much better chance of succeeding if I were there to help translate between him and the instructor - not literally translating English, but rather behaviors, responses, & expectations.  The instructor was great at getting to learn what did and did not work with my son and I am very glad to have taken the class now as it was a very cool experience.  We don't have any dive trips planned in the near future as my son is focused on his classes now (he has organic chemistry this semester).  That said, I'd love to get back out to the quarry again, but I need to find a dive buddy - I think the dive shop has some programs for that.

Awesome! For me, dreaming of diving versus actually doing it took an adjustment. My first two times in the ocean doing discovery dives were incredibly anxiety-ridden which was something I had not expected. Ironically, I was thinking of that during my run this morning and I still haven't been able to come up with the words to properly describe what that was like. Anyway, congratulations to the both of you!

I've been told time and again that being solo is never a problem with diving and in fact they plan for it and schedule around it. 👍

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning! I took today off and I'm barely eating breakfast. It was nice sleeping in. RD for me today.

Fred, congrats to your son!

Damaris

Next year, Oregon is at the top of the list.

:like:

Sounds like a great weekend, and that’s one hell of a list!

I ran 7 miles with 10 strides. Day 1 of 12-week marathon plan! AKA, same as every other Monday for the last few months.

Dave

Cyberic

Ran 12 with 8 strides + a ~550m uphill interval afterwards (was measuring a segment of dirt road I thought would be interesting to do workouts on)

LRB

This was our 15th football weekend. Following is a list we complied as we are getting old and forgetting where we went each year!

This is super impressive! I actually watched the Texas A/M - Colorado game, the last 5 minutes or so were thrilling. Not for the home team of course.

sdWhiskers

3.2 miles with 5x strides. Fog was nice but still warm and humid.

I remember panicking the first time I went snorkeling. Not sure I could handle diving.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I remember panicking the first time I went snorkeling. Not sure I could handle diving.

I can relate to that.  It was very hard for me to get used to being underwater and not holding my breath.  The urge to bolt for the surface is strong.