Beginners and Beyond

Relax! It's the 3-Day Weekend Penguins (Read 25 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

No races this weekend.  I am TRYING to listen to my doc for a change and take it a BIT easier this year, as my recent tests show that my hip and spine arthritis have progressed a bit.   Plan to just kick back this weekend, do some running on my own, and my weight training circuit, probably on Sunday.    This morning, Gail and I are taking Sinatra to the vet to get his stitches out and he will get rid of his cone, which I am sure will make him very happy.   After that, Gail plans on going to her Yoga today (Bikram Yoga, 90 minutes in a 105-degree room, yikes!) and I plan on getting a nice run in at a local park.  It should be VERY nice as the San Antonio weather today is sunny with a high of 68 degrees, sweeet!    Sunday, my hill route at Joint Base Fort Sam Houston, followed by my weight training circuit at the base gym - they have some really nice equipment and it is very relaxed and not too busy on a Sunday morning.   Monday, it will be nice to sleep in.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

From the Internet.

Wow, that is some intense yoga! Props to Gail for that! Enjoy your weekend Scotty Smile

My whole running group agreed to reschedule our run to Sunday because it's ungodly cold today and will be in the 40s tomorrow, so I'll be doing my long run then. It was 9 degrees this morning, I ran 3 on my own and that was enough. Dressed warmly enough but it got hard to breathe through my buff after a while. Off to run a bunch of errands and buy a new winter coat in a little while - my old beat-up clearance rack coat has decided that zipping is optional, which will not cut it below 30 degrees.

on my way to badass

Good Morning Scotty, Lauren and Penguins to come.

Scotty- Thanks for starting us off.  Your weather sounds sweet.  Gail is bad ass.

Lauren- Congrats on getting it done.  I did it last year in a horrific winter.  This year I have gone soft and I have a treadmill.

2 done this morning on the treadmill.  Working at the library today.  When I left home to come to work it was 0*F.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Scotty: NO races?! Is the world off it's axis? That must have been that big shift I felt this morning. Enjoy your off weekend and I hope you get to watch football on Sunday.

Lauren and SF: Those temps are crazy to me. Over Thanksgiving we were in Utah and I ran in 19 degrees and my lungs and eyeballs were cold.

As for me, 4 easy miles done and we are off to the swim meet with DD2 in a bit. First, I am on pancake duty.

Have a nice weekend.

Hi penguins,

Heading out the door for my easy ruin of 6 miles is 48°! Short sleeves today.

Scotty, be a good listener.

Lauren, I envy your running group. I'm having a hard time connecting with a group that is reasonably close.

SF, hang I there with the temps!

Jack, I love me some pancakes!

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

PADRunner

Well the 5k sucked, 32:48 no novel today. My legs just can't do it... I need a new set of Kenyan legs. I've got an yearly appointment with my cardiologist in a couple of weeks. Maybe I can get leg transplants.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, hubby and I ran 10 this morning.  Great weather (meaning 60-70F, not 90F) in the morning.

Thanks for the nice words and wishes concerning my husband's possible cancer.  I'll keep you posted and still hoping it's benign.

Damaris

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi, hubby and I ran 10 this morning.  Great weather (meaning 60-70F, not 90F) in the morning.

Thanks for the nice words and wishes concerning my husband's possible cancer.  I'll keep you posted and still hoping it's benign.

Oh, sorry, D. That's the first I heard of it. You two be strong.

on my way to badass

Fingers crossed for good news Damaris!

Wow- that's the nicest temps you've seen in over a year!

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Robert31320

Team TJ

I ran in the Richmond Hill Resolution Runz 5K this morning.  My time was nothing to write home about but I had fun.

Running for TJ because he can't.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Short run later this afternoon when DW is finished "trotting".  It's in the 40's here, but very windy, so we will go to the track again. DD is en route home from SA.  She didn't want to leave, but her friend opened a brewery and she has his beer tasting to go to tomorrow.

Congrats on the 5K, Robert.

Did you talk yourself into the FM, SF?

on my way to badass

Did you talk yourself into the FM, SF?

Not yet.  Will have to study the training plan and discuss with DH.

From the Internet.

Oh, sorry, D. That's the first I heard of it. You two be strong.

WHAT! Me too, I've been checking in so sporadically the last couple weeks. You're both in my thoughts D, hope it's benign Sad

SF, this was the first day where I really wished I had a treadmill - I did a lot of running at the gym last year but it's no longer 5 minutes from my house so I've been completely outdoors this winter. Thinking about how consistency in this ridiculous weather will pay off for spring races keeps me going Smile

Jack - the temps aren't so bad once you get used to dressing for them. My biggest struggle right now is planning enough time to get dressed before I head out, haha - I will be so thrilled once it warms up and I can throw on one layer of clothing and go.

Kathleen - I'm super lucky where I live, there are a couple of running groups in Providence and about a million in the Boston area, I'm smack in between the two cities so a group run is never hard to find! I still run alone a lot just because of scheduling (or lack thereof, if I sleep through my alarm and fit my run into my work day) but it's nice to know the option is there.

Robert31320

Team TJ

Just went back and read everything.  Sorry to read what Mr. D is faced with Damaris.  Hope it turns out OK.

Running for TJ because he can't.