Beginners and Beyond

Relax! It's the 3-Day Weekend Penguins (Read 25 times)

Brilliant

Scotty, congrats to Sinatra on losing the cone of shame!

Lauren and SF, stay warm!

Jack, pancakes sound yummy!

Kathleen, I hope you had a nice run.

PAD, sorry your 5k was not what you hoped for.  I want Kenyan legs, too, but we gotta work with what we've been given!

Damaris, you are in my thoughts and prayers.  I hope you & hubby are able to keep your mind off of it too much while you wait for results.  I have been in his shoes more times than I like to think about. (I've had cancer twice, and because of that now every time I get anything unusual I go through ultrasounds, MRIs, biopsies, blah blah blah I'm so sick of testing).

Robert, glad you had a good 5k.

Jerry, enjoy your run.

AFM - I did a 13.3 mile tempo run with 9 miles at HMP.  A huge confidence booster for me as my HM is in 15 days.

Zelanie

Hey pens!  I'm taking a RD today.  I got in 10 last night, which means I can fit all of my weekend miles into tomorrow, yay!  It's pretty wet here, but I got a waterproof Brooks cap for Christmas, and I've discovered that being able to keep my head dry makes all the difference.  On our social run on Thursday, it was rainy and just a bit over freezing, which is usually miserable, but with the hat, it was fine.

Damaris- Hoping for good news when your husband's test results come back.

Scotty- Enjoy the weekend off!

Lauren- Hopefully there will be another good sale coat since the stores probably want to put spring stuff out already.

SF- Keep warm!

Jack- Good luck to DD!

Kathleen- Have a great run!  It's close to that here today, but rainy and windy.

PAD- Hopefully it's just fatigue from your marathon program?  You've been working on endurance lately, not speed, yes?

Robert- Glad you had a fun race!

Brilliant- You are so ready! Smile

Zelanie

DH hung my Christmas medal hanger today (yes, I know in that same period of time Jack has practically remodeled the house ).  I like it, but realize that I have an extra spot.  You know what that means!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Nice hanger!

Thanks, guys. All the great thoughts are appreciated!

Damaris

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Got my run/walk in today around noon-time.  Sweet temps, 56 degrees and sunny bright blue skies.  Did my 'Dog Alley' route at Fort Sam Houston and treated my doggie pals along the way.  Fun outing, 3.3  miles done.

Geez, Lauren, props to you for getting out there in 9 degrees!

Dang, StoneFence, 0 degrees...I am glad you have an INSIDE job!

Well, Jack, I just finished registering for a race on January 31, and I already had one scheduled for January 24th.  In February, I have already registered for races on  Feb 1, Feb 14, Feb 21, and Feb 22.  So I will be keeping somewhat race active, lol.   Hope your DD did well in her swim meet.  Pancake master, huh?  Do you happen to be a master at French Toast or Waffles too...since I absolutely don't like pancakes.

Sorry you were disappointed with your 5K time, PAD.  Your finish time today is my "Happy Time" finish for a 5K, if I finish before 33 minutes (which is rare), I am very happy, lol.  Actually, if I finish anywhere under 36 minutes for a 5K, I am quite happy, lol.  I supposed if I took less photo breaks during an event I probably would finish quicker...but I just really do have fun taking those photos and then reporting on 'the show" for y'all.  Finish time at this stage of my running life is not really high on my race priority list anymore. 

(((Damaris)))...apparently I missed that post about your DH's potential cancer.  Thinking good thoughts for both of you!   Sounds like you had some decent weather today!

Congrats on your 5K Robert!  Glad you had fun!  That is my plan these days too, I am living the 2F Plan for my running:  Finish every run/race I start and have fun along the way!   Those are my only goals!  

Wait, what, Jerry...your DW was in SA..is that San Antonio?  And she didn't let us take her to dinner while she was here?    And she was 'trotting"?  Poor lady...did she eat something bad?  Break out the Pepto! 

Congrats on the run and the confidence booster, Brilliant!  Yes, Sinatra was very happy today!  He went outside into the bright, warm day's sunshine and rolled in the grass and we played with him out there.  I guess he got worn out after the week's layoff from little activity cuz now he is fast asleep on Gail's lap.

Way to get the miles in Zelanie!    Nice medal hanger! Yeah, rain...I don't mind it raining on me after I get started, but I hate starting out in it.  I guess I would not be a good candidate to be an Oregon resident, lol.      Oh, I am still running this weekend, just have off from any races this weekend.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Scotty, SA as in South Africa.

Damaris, thinking very good thoughts for your husband and you.

Brilliant, I'm rooting for you. I saw your post the other night about the mental aspect of your upcoming HM. I posted this long reply just in time to get knocked off with RA maintenance. Ugh! Couldn't bear to retype it on my phone.  just saying..."You go, girl!"

Lauren, I found a LSR that has group run at 7AM on Sundays, which means I'd half to be up at 5:45 to meet you with them on time. Might consider it if I wasn't up so blasted late. One of these days...

Kathleen

2015 Goals:

Sub 30 5K

Sub 60 10K

obiebyke

I finally did some Penguin reading.

Damaris, no! I will wish good things.

Call me Ray (not Ishmael)

tracilynn

I didnt see the post about damaris' husband either!  I'm so sorry to hear that.   Was it posted in the dailies? I rarely go in there.  Hoping it turns out to be nothing and hope your wait is not too torturous.

~~~~~~~

Traci

hog4life

Damaris, I'm sorry to hear this about hubby, I'm hoping it's nothing. I'll be thinking of you two.

Brilliant, all the testing is a pain, but worth it, at least to me. Right now, I kind of would like them to test me a little more.

I got in 5 miles on the trails with Bella this morning. Traci was there too.

I don't think I've posted too much here, but my FIL has stage 4 kidney cancer that has also spread into his lymph system. He was taking oral chemo, but his liver wasn't handling it properly, so they stopped the chemo. He's going in for a second opinion, but it doesn't look very promising at this point. I feel so bad for him, he is on a really tight fixed income, and all the trips to the doctors are taking a toll on their pockets. I've set up a little fundraiser on FB to help them, and am very thankful to those that have helped a little.

We must save all the money possible for our retirement,  it's vital in our own futures. I am grateful that I have a good job which allows me to save for my old age. My FIL wasn't as fortunate.

PADRunner

Finished a long week with a long 13. I'm glad its over with! I hope next week is better, I've got the dreaded 20 long run next Sunday.

Hope things go well for you and Hubby too next week.

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins.

Zel, nice medal display! 

Scotty, I'm glad Sinatra had such a great day!

Kathleen, thanks! (I also hate it when I write a brilliant lengthy post and it gets lost)

Mitch, sorry about your FIL. Sad

PAD, nice 13.  I'm a couple of weeks behind you on a scheduled 20 - not looking forward to mine either, but you can get through it!

Rest day for me.  Hubby and I are headed to the Slack Key Guitar Festival this afternoon.  Keeping the Aloha alive. Smile

Jack K.

uʍop ǝpᴉsdn sǝʇᴉɹʍ ʇI

Hi Pens.

Brilliant: You should be feeling pretty good now. That is a nice run you did and should be a good confidence booster. Smile

Scotty: Well done on signing up for the races. You had me worried... for about two seconds.

PAD: Get plenty of rest and carb up this week. Those 20 milers are no fun, but you will feel good about it after.

AFM: 14 miles done. I'm not going to day 2 of the swim meet because DW knows I want to watch the football. Now I get do the laundry. All the laundry. Sigh...

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

5.5 on the track for us. 22 for the week.  Nice to see black snow again.  Spring can't be too far away.  Now we head to O'Hare to pick up a sleepy DD.

Go Packers !!!

From the Internet.

11 miler this morning went well except for the pavement I ate at about 7.5 miles. All banged up now but I finished strong, even threw in some fast surges toward the end. First week of HMT complete, 34.68 miles total Smile