Beginners and Beyond

Dream Dream Dreamin' Wednesday Penguins (Read 27 times)

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

The "Penguin" daily threads were originally conceived to emphasize that all members of the community have a place on the boards. Encouragement, motivation, a little love nip (you will love one, give it a try!) or even a little kick in the pants when needed -- it can happen here. Basically, we celebrate just getting out there and moving our tails! What is "slow"? "Slow" is a perception but one of the common benchmarks is the 10:00/mi pace; but there's no firm line. In fact, there are many of us that have slipped past this, and just hope that no one notices and revokes their "igloo privileges." It can be confusing for the forum newbies, but we're not one of the teams in any of the fine games. It's a totally open group, so stop lurking, post an introduction of yourself dive in and join the fun! No application necessary! There might even be a lovely picture for Scotty (we love pics!)

March 11 is Dream Day.....

And it is also.....

World Plumbing Day

Registered Dietician Day

Johnny Appleseed Day

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

PADRunner

Morning, 7.2 done this morning.

scottydawg

Barking Mad To Run

Nice run/walk yesterday after work at Fort Sam Houston.  68 degrees, blue skies, cotton candy clouds, a light breeze, dewpoint in the 50s, humidity low....perfect!   Did 5K along my "Dog Alley" route and played with my canine pals along the way.

Today's San Antonio weather...more of the same.   A run/walk for me today around the university campus, followed by my weight training circuit.

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Theodore Roosevelt

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have 6 miles and Insanity Max 30 Tabata workouts tonight.

Damaris

Brilliant

Good morning Penguins!

Baconista, Hi!  Yesterday, I wasn't thinking of the LEGO song; I was thinking of Rhino's speech: "They need a hero, Bolt! Someone who, no matter what the odds, will do what's right. They need a hero to tell them that sometimes the impossible can become possible... if... you're... AWESOME!"

PAD, nice running.  How are you training for the new marathon date?  Are you ramping up again for a week or two and then re-tapering?

Damaris, have a nice run!

Scotty, about that AG award thing:  it occurred to me that you are on to something with the evening races. Let's face it, a lot of your competition had the early-bird dinner at Luby's at 5PM and were tucked into bed just as you were crossing the finish line and the after-party was starting!  Nice strategy. You don't have to outlive your competition, just stay up a bit later than they do. Smile

Rest day for me.  Some semi-good news for the marathon; they are going to start 30 minutes earlier!  They've promised to lay in more water and gatorade (they ran out during last year's heat wave), and have ice, cold wash clothes, and misting stations along the course.

JerryInIL

Return To Racing

Good morning Scotty.  Short easy street run for us this afternoon.  Bike path is still slushy.  Had a very nice 6 miles yesterday.  It took 5 miles for the tight calf to loosen up.  We need to get some LR's in with the HM in 5 weeks.  That is our training plan.

Singer who runs a smidge

Morning, Penguins!!  Well, today is a singing day, as I have quartet rehearsal tonight.  Now's when we start putting all of our coaching into practice and running our set over and over again, because competition is only three rehearsals away!!

PAD -- woo-hoo for your 7.2!!  (and for letting me make a rhyme.  Anybody want a peanut?)

scotty -- wow, sounds like a perfect run!!

Docket -- enjoy your 6 and the other thing!!

Brilliant -- Well, at least it sounds like they're making all possible concessions to the heat!

Jerryb -- enjoy your easy street run!!

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

on my way to badass

Good Wednesday Penguins!

PAD-Nice miles!

Scotty- Nice weather!

Damaris- Enjoy those workouts!

Brilliant- Enjoy the RD.

Jerry- Your plan sounds good to me!

HsM- Enjoy the rehearsal.

AFM- Mojo has gone AWOL.  Weather has improved considerably this week.  I should try and get outside so I actually run a hill or 2.  Training partner got a spot in the NYCM.  It will be her second.   Her first is the Vermont City over Memorial Day weekend.

Still waiting for the perfect race picture. 5K PR-33:52 , 10K PR 1:11:16, First HM 2:42:28

Zelanie

Morning!  My RP didn't show at the track last night, so I went ahead with my more 5K-based plan.  I ran 6 x 400 @ R pace.  Yikes!  I wasn't sure if I could do 400 at that pace.  I did slow as I went, but all of them were way faster than I thought I'd be able to do.

Tonight, I will probably run 8 easy.

Brilliant- I'm glad they moved the start back.  Hopefully it's just a tad cooler than they're predicting.

Jill.

Penguin Power!

Morning all.  I'm quite sore from my bridge run yesterday - lots of flat running means when I do hills they are brutal =P  I'll do an easy 4ish and a yoga video today.  I'm not really cutting back my mileage at all before my half this weekend because my training went so far off course that I no longer have any goals associated with it.  I'm training trough it/will probably treat it as a supported LR with lots of cool photography opportunities.

PAD - nice job on the miles

Scotty - we finally have nice weather here too!

DR - enjoy your 6

Allison - it really sucks that your race weather conditions are going to be so hot =(  Is there anything additional you can do - like have someone give you a fresh shirt at mile 18 or so?  Or will it be so hot that it is bra and shorts only type of weather?

HsM - what type of competition is this?

SF - are you going to do a full anytime soon?  I'm doing NYCM in the fall as my first (eep!)

Zel - is your RP typically flaky?

Upcoming Races: Run as One 4M (4/24) * Japan Run 4M (5/8) * Brooklyn Half (5/21) 

Zelanie

Saph- No, not usually. Not sure if marathon training is taking its toll or if she just ended up going away for a long weekend. Hopefully the latter.

From the Internet.

Morning pens!

Legs are feeling good so I'll get out for a few miles in shorts to test 'em out - it's over 50 degrees already! Big grin Hopefully a day off and 10 hours of sleep is all they needed. I also picked up Matt Fitzgerald's Racing Weight on kindle yesterday and got through a good chunk of it already. I think this week's crash and burn is proof that I'm at a point where quality of my diet is starting to really matter if I want to both run well and get/stay lean. I really only have a few pounds of fat to lose at this point so I'm good with eating to fuel my training and just letting the weight come off at its own rate as my miles go up.

Singer who runs a smidge

HsM - what type of competition is this?

Regional barbershop competition for quartets and choruses.  Our region covers Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, a smidge of Georgia, and one chorus in Tennessee.  There are (I think) 28 quartets competing (which is a boatload) and we're slap last.  My chorus isn't competing this year, so at least I'll get Saturday off!  The whole shebang starts on Thursday and ends on Sunday at the end of March.

When it's all said and done, no one remembers how far we have run.  The only thing that matters is how we have loved.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Regional barbershop competition for quartets and choruses.  Our region covers Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, a smidge of Georgia, and one chorus in Tennessee.  There are (I think) 28 quartets competing (which is a boatload) and we're slap last.  My chorus isn't competing this year, so at least I'll get Saturday off!  The whole shebang starts on Thursday and ends on Sunday at the end of March.

Sounds like great fun.

Damaris

Singer who runs a smidge

It is, except for the 3-inch sparkly heels.  I mean, they're cute and all, but OMG HEELS!!!