Beginners and Beyond

FriDAILIES and the leaky faucet (Read 44 times)

Cyberic

WHAT IT DO RUNNERS!  rofl

Today's training schedule calls for a two (yes, two) mile jog.  It's killing me to be so uncertain about how my HM will go tomorrow.  I put myself in the 1:28-1:45 window.  Really, I have no idea.  It's been five months since I did a race where all I had to do was run.  I don't know where my pure running speed is after coming out of all that triathlon crap this summer.  I've become a stronger triathlon runner but I don't know how that's going to translate to a HM.  Anyway, the weather will be a touch warm (60) but the dew point will be in the mid-50's.  I figure the temps+dew point might cost us a minute.  cool story bro

Your overall fitness is better than ever, and it's not like you stopped running. You still ran all these months. My guess is you're a stronger runner now than you were before. By how much? Hard to say. And how it will translate on the finish time? Depends on the course, the temps, etc. I will not throw a time at you, but I don't see how your  running could have fallen apart in the past months.

DavePNW

Nice. 6:25 is my goal 5k pace too.

+1. Although I don't think I have ever done a full mile at that pace. Heh.

FS may come out and get sub-20 before both of us.

8 miles.

Dave

onemile

8 miles.

I ran a mile at 6:22 once! My fastest ever!  It was during a 5k. lol

bluerun

Super B****

Two weeks after my first mile race, I ran a 5K.  The first mile was faster than the raced mile.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

onemile

Two weeks after my first mile race, I ran a 5K.  The first mile was faster than the raced mile.

I have actually never tried running a mile all out.  I doubt it would be much faster though. I don't have a lot of speed in my legs.

bluerun

Super B****

I have actually never tried running a mile all out.  I doubt it would be much faster though. I don't have a lot of speed in my legs.

Yeah, sure.  You can go sub-6 with no problem, I'd bet.

I get what you're saying, though... I don't think I can run much faster than my 5K pace.  Even though I have.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

8 miles.

Don't get caught up in that. I hadn't done it until I did it, and didn't know I did it until after the race.

LRB

Totally not true. But since these things are confidence based, I get where you're coming from.

DavePNW

I think it would be cool to try it sometime. Sub-6 would be nice.

I will have to check my log for my fastest mile, pretty sure it would be in a 5k as well.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Lol, I don't know about a sub 20, and I definitely don't think I'd get to it before onemile or you Dave.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Lol, I don't know about a sub 20, and I definitely don't think I'd get to it before onemile or you Dave.

But you are training FOR a sub-20, according to the paces you are doing...

Damaris

LRB

But you are training FOR a sub-20, according to the paces you are doing...

Don't confuse her geezus. A part of what makes speed work special is the ignorance aspect. It's wonderful....until you look back at it. lol

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Don't confuse her geezus. A part of what makes speed work special is the ignorance aspect. It's wonderful....until you look back at it. lol

Lol, it's too easy to confuse me.

Unfortunately D, like I was telling onemile, it's got something to do with the mental aspect of the surface... or something, it seems so easy.... or so... ummm... yeah I don't know a better word. But it seems that I can concentrate better on a track doing these paces than on the road, or at least during these last 2 races it was just hard 

Granted, there were a lot of things going on - my mind, shins don't like concrete, the warm weather plus humidity plus sun, and just not a great day. And I guess I kept thinking "still got quite a few miles to go" which slowed me down more.

This workout literally kicked my ass, I am still feeling it, I even still have a headache from it. So maybe a few more workouts like this and I could possibly come close to a 20 minute finish, but it would have to be a good day without any issues going on.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

onemile

Lol, it's too easy to confuse me.

Unfortunately D, like I was telling onemile, it's got something to do with the mental aspect of the surface... or something, it seems so easy.... or so... ummm... yeah I don't know a better word. But it seems that I can concentrate better on a track doing these paces than on the road, or at least during these last 2 races it was just hard 

Granted, there were a lot of things going on - my mind, shins don't like concrete, the warm weather plus humidity plus sun, and just not a great day. And I guess I kept thinking "still got quite a few miles to go" which slowed me down more.

This workout literally kicked my ass, I am still feeling it, I even still have a headache from it. So maybe a few more workouts like this and I could possibly come close to a 20 minute finish, but it would have to be a good day without any issues going on.

I haven't found the surface of a track easier to run on, unless your normal route is hilly.  I can run a little faster at the indoor track but there is no wind and it's cold.  But the difference is minor

Maybe it's the mental aspect of knowing you have a break coming up. You can do these "fartlek-style" on the road... that's what I did on Wednesday because I had to run home and let my dog out so I didn't want to stop at the track on the way home and it's a pain to drive all the way back there

DavePNW

OK, according to Garmin, I've done a 6:14 mile. Last mile of a 5k -- not even my PR 5k, but it finished downhill.

MTA:  I feel faster on the track, although no idea if I actually am.

MTA2: I might do a 5k next weekend. 

Dave