Beginners and Beyond

FriDAILIES and the leaky faucet (Read 44 times)

DavePNW

WHAT IT DO RUNNERS!  rofl

Today's training schedule calls for a two (yes, two) mile jog.  It's killing me to be so uncertain about how my HM will go tomorrow.  I put myself in the 1:28-1:45 window.  Really, I have no idea.  It's been five months since I did a race where all I had to do was run.  I don't know where my pure running speed is after coming out of all that triathlon crap this summer.  I've become a stronger triathlon runner but I don't know how that's going to translate to a HM.  Anyway, the weather will be a touch warm (60) but the dew point will be in the mid-50's.  I figure the temps+dew point might cost us a minute.  cool story bro

You will crush it. Maybe not PR, but I predict you will be faster than you think. You are in great cardio shape, and your legs are not all beat up. Full disclaimer: I don't know shit.

Dave

LRB

I prefer speed work on the track because I can see each interval. That is, a 200 is a half lap, a 400 is a lap, a kilometer is two and a half laps, etc.. Whereas on the road, you seemingly run forever not knowing where the hell the interval ends. Having said that, speed work on the road or trail is great because that's how the race is, so I learned to embrace the torment. It's good practice, everyone should do it.

bluerun

Super B****

I prefer speed work on the track because I can see each interval. That is, a 200 is a half lap, a 400 is a lap, a kilometer is two and a half laps, etc.. Whereas on the road, you seemingly run forever not knowing where the hell the interval ends. Having said that, speed work on the road or trail is great because that's how the race is, so I learned to embrace the torment. It's good practice, everyone should do it.

You would hate my track.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

LRB

You would hate my track.

Okay, what did I screw up?

bluerun

Super B****

Okay, what did I screw up?

Oh, nothing.  It's just that my track isn't four laps to the mile, so you'd be yanking your brain out of your ears.

chasing the impossible

onemile

I might do a 5k next weekend. 

I am curious what you can do in the middle of MRT. I am guessing you wouldn't taper for it at all?

I ran one last year, maybe a month before IMM?  And ran 20:29. My legs were sore and I was actually surprised to run that fast.

onemile

Oh, nothing.  It's just that my track isn't four laps to the mile, so you'd be yanking your brain out of your ears.

My track is 445 meters from the inside lane

But it has markers for 200m 400m, 800m, 1000, 1200, 1 mile, 2 miles and I think there might even be one for 5k 

But I know where all the markers are and can visualize like LRB does

LRB

Whew, I am relieved!

Reference points work just as well, you don't find them out in the open though.

bluerun

Super B****

My track is 445 meters from the inside lane

But it has markers for 200m 400m, 800m, 1000, 1200, 1 mile, 2 miles and I think there might even be one for 5k 

But I know where all the markers are and can visualize like LRB does

Huh, I never even checked if there are markers... it's usually dark when I'm there.  I CAN tell you that there's a lovely divot in lane three, which I always forget about until I inevitably step into it on my first lap.  Now I feel like going there just to see if there ARE markers...

chasing the impossible

bluerun

Super B****

Whew, I am relieved!

Reference points work just as well, you don't find them out in the open though.

Trees?  Lampposts??  Traffic lights???  Though I guess those are random.

chasing the impossible

DavePNW

I am curious what you can do in the middle of MRT. I am guessing you wouldn't taper for it at all?

I ran one last year, maybe a month before IMM?  And ran 20:29. My legs were sore and I was actually surprised to run that fast.

It will be 2 weeks before the marathon, so I won't be tapering for the 5k, but will already be in marathon taper. So will be a pretty easy week - only a 12 mile MLR on Wed. Of course the race would be on Saturday, then 17 miles on Sunday for 58 miles total. Easy!

I am guessing it will end up about where you did.

Dave

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I suppose I should try to do some speed workouts on the road......

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

LRB

Trees?  Lampposts??  Traffic lights???  Though I guess those are random.

Exactly.

LRB

Oh boy.

Well, when we say road, we're not speaking literally. You don't want to deal with traffic lights, stop signs or intersections, obviously. So you find an area (usually on the trail or in a park) that don't have those things. This is another thing that makes the track desirable.

Cyberic

Like LRB said. I would not do speed work on the roads. Either I'd keep bitching about cars and stop signs and every other human being in my way, or I'd ignore it all and be dangerous.

When I do speed work "on the road" I usually do it in or around a park. It might switch from sidewalk to gravel track, a little hill here and there, all kinds of real life stuff, but without the need to stop for anything.