Beginners and Beyond

FriDAILIES and the leaky faucet (Read 44 times)

delicate flower

<3

onemile

Oh boy.

Well, when we say road, we're not speaking literally. You don't want to deal with traffic lights, stop signs or intersections, obviously. So you find an area (usually on the trail or in a park) that don't have those things. This is another thing that makes the track desirable.

When I do it "on the road", it's back and forth on a relatively flat stretch of uninterrupted road or sometimes at the cemetary..

I don't think you'll get more benefit from that though, mostly just to disprove this theory that the surface of the track makes you that much faster.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

Oh boy.

Well, when we say road, we're not speaking literally. You don't want to deal with traffic lights, stop signs or intersections, obviously. So you find an area (usually on the trail or in a park) that don't have those things. This is another thing that makes the track desirable.

I live in a rural area, there are at least a couple miles of straight aways with no traffic lights, intersection or anything like that. I avoid city running as much as possible.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

5k - 24:15 (7:49 min/mile pace) 

10k - 51:47 (8:16 min/mile pace)

15k -1:18:09 (8:24 min/mile pace)

13.1 - 1:53:12 (8:39 min/mile pace)

26:2 - 4:14:55 (9:44 min/mile)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Oh boy.

I don't have a track here so all my speedwork is on the sidewalks.  If it's longer than the block I turn right and come back to where I started before the next one.

Damaris

LRB

When I do it "on the road", it's back and forth on a relatively flat stretch of uninterrupted road or sometimes at the cemetary..

I don't think you'll get more benefit from that though, mostly just to disprove this theory that the surface of the track makes you that much faster.

Ah, yes, in terms of the actual surface, I'll run on anything; concrete, ashpalt, dirt, the track, it's all the same to me (it may not be factually, but I don't have a preference in that regard). So long as it's not slippery, muddy, snow covered too bad or iced over, I'm good. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

My track is 445 meters from the inside lane

But it has markers for 200m 400m, 800m, 1000, 1200, 1 mile, 2 miles and I think there might even be one for 5k 

But I know where all the markers are and can visualize like LRB does

I remember in PR we were using a track at the University that had no markers nor the distance indicated anywhere.  It wasn't your standard 400m distance.  Hard to figure out when I first started running because I didn't have a Garmin.

Damaris

onemile

Ah, yes, in terms of the actual surface, I'll run on anything; concrete, ashpalt, dirt, the track, it's all the same to me (it may not be factually, but I don't have a preference in that regard). So long as it's not slippery, muddy, snow covered too bad or iced over, I'm good. 

I do most of my runs on a crushed limestone trail but for speedwork I prefer a paved surface (or track) because the little stones make my feet slip slightly when pushing off and I feel it makes my paces slightly slower.

LRB

I do most of my runs on a crushed limestone trail but for speedwork I prefer a paved surface (or track) because the little stones make my feet slip slightly when pushing off and I feel it makes my paces slightly slower.

I love the sound my footfalls make during speed work on limestone. I run in rhythm to it, it's awesome. But no, traction is not a concern for me...at least where I run.

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

There's also the Greenway which in Evansville travels under road bridges except for two spots where you have to cross a street. It's mostly asphalt but one section on the riverfront is like stones or cobblestones. And it has some small hills.

*Do It For Yourself, Do It Because They Said It Was Impossible, Do It Because They Said You Were Incapable*

PRs

Half Crazy K 2.0

I do almost all my speed work on roads. Occasionally I need to stop for a car, but usually not much of an issue. The route I used last night has a good 1.5-2 mile stretch with no cross traffic. That stretch also happens to be mostly uphill. There are at least 2 local races on that road, so good practice.

I was going to use the track last night. Unfortunately thete was a football game, so track was not accessible.

Cyberic

I dunno if there's a lot of loose stone on your paths, but around here the crushed limestone soon disappears I dunno where and all is left is a pretty densely packed surface. Sometimes they add some in the cracks left by heavy rain falls, and it's loose and soft, but other than that I don't really feel like I'm slowed down on those paths. Maybe you have a more wicked kick than I do, which would not be surprising as I don't lift my legs high, but sort of hover.

onemile

I dunno if there's a lot of loose stone on your paths, but around here the crushed limestone soon disappears I dunno where and all is left is a pretty densely packed surface. Sometimes they add some in the cracks left by heavy rain falls, and it's loose and soft, but other than that I don't really feel like I'm slowed down on those paths. Maybe you have a more wicked kick than I do, which would not be surprising as I don't lift my legs high, but sort of hover.

I have no kick. Just a shuffle. Maybe it's all in my head

FreeSoul87

Runs4Sanity

I think that's a song..... It's all in my head....

PRs

From the Internet.

SCHOOL'S OUT! Just entered some grades in and now I'm heading home.

This morning: 12.25 with 8xmile/quarter mile recoveries. I wore long sleeves and it was phenomenal. Could've done a couple more reps no problem.

bluerun

Super B****

Never mind this training business... do these socks match these shoes?!  (Normally it wouldn't matter since I'd be wearing compression sleeves, but those oddly make this dumb injury feel worse so I have to skip them and the socks are visible.  And obviously not matching is utterly unacceptable.)

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog