Beginners and Beyond

Oak Bombardment ThursDailies (Read 23 times)

bluerun

Super B****

That should have lasted all of a millisecond!

Ruminators ruminate

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

wcrunner2

Are we there, yet?

Ran my 6 outside. Looked like it was going to rain but never did. 56F, windy, cloudy. It was perfect.

I've been trying for the last 2 hours to get out for a run, but every time I think the storms have passed, there's more thunder nearby.

2024 Races:

03/09 - Livingston Oval Ultra 6-Hour, 22.88 miles

05/11 - D3 50K
            05/25 - What the Duck 12-Hour

06/17 - 6 Days in the Dome 12-Hour.

DavePNW

Cy - For a lower volume runner, it would be crazy, but as much as you run, not so much. This is your last chance to run a nearby marathon until next spring, and who knows what will happen between now and then. If you have any desire at all to do it, go for it. You can run all out, just to see what results your present training will give, or you can have fun and enjoy the long descent with companions without worrying about the outcome. Your choice.

The issue is he's gonna have no idea how to pace it. Certainly he can finish it at LR pace, but there's not much data to indicate how much faster is possible.

Dave

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

So there is a marathon in 10 days. I have been running 99% easy for many weeks, like probably 3 months or so, as marathon training was ruled out during humidity pretty quick this summer. Then the cooler days came back, and I have not hopped back into training mode.

Last week I decided that I'd do one key hard workout that would give me some comparison point to previous years. Options like Yasso 800s. A 20 minute tempo run. A 5K TT. A 3K TT. Something. Anything... No... Ended up with Nothing. Pretty crazy to consider entering a fucking marathon when I can't even muster the mental strength to do a workout.

I've been training for Chicago and I haven't gotten any mental strength either. I think it's this fucking Covid thing. The first year I had more enthusiasm even though my races were canceled. This year, I'm like whatever.

Damaris

LRB

Ruminators ruminate

I hadn’t seen it until now. 

Looks like they got rid of those useless string cuffs, BAA colors, 125th edition, lots to love there.

LRB

Yes, but it is a 190m track, that is square instead of oval, so the turns are often and sharp.

Baboon, I would have been exasperated.

LRB, those birds are very common in Montreal. There have even been articles in local papers. They do that when there are kids in the nests, so in a specific season, from around mid-june to... mid-july maybe?

I'd never been so pissed and scared at the same time! 

LRB

The river by our park is almost overflowing and the current is fast. Lots of rain the last few days.

Keep the rest, we're good. 👍

bluerun

Super B****

I hadn’t seen it until now. 

Looks like they got rid of those useless string cuffs, BAA colors, 125th edition, lots to love there.

It looks almost exactly like last year's... just blue and yellow instead of red, white and blue. I hope that means it will actually fit.

What will happen: if I buy it now, there will be a plethora available for discounted prices later. If I don't buy it now, it will be sold out everywhere.

chasing the impossible

bluerun

Super B****

So there is a marathon in 10 days. I have been running 99% easy for many weeks, like probably 3 months or so, as marathon training was ruled out during humidity pretty quick this summer. Then the cooler days came back, and I have not hopped back into training mode.

Last week I decided that I'd do one key hard workout that would give me some comparison point to previous years. Options like Yasso 800s. A 20 minute tempo run. A 5K TT. A 3K TT. Something. Anything... No... Ended up with Nothing. Pretty crazy to consider entering a fucking marathon when I can't even muster the mental strength to do a workout.

Not so crazy beyond the fact that marathons are crazy in general. Also depends on what you're expecting to get out of it.

chasing the impossible

onemile

The issue is he's gonna have no idea how to pace it. Certainly he can finish it at LR pace, but there's not much data to indicate how much faster is possible.

Go out at PR pace and try to hang on. Obviously.

onemile

It looks almost exactly like last year's... just blue and yellow instead of red, white and blue. I hope that means it will actually fit.

What will happen: if I buy it now, there will be a plethora available for discounted prices later. If I don't buy it now, it will be sold out everywhere.

you could always buy it now from RWH and then you have 60 days to return it if it seems like they have a lot of xtra post race.

bluerun

Super B****

you could always buy it now from RWH and then you have 60 days to return it if it seems like they have a lot of xtra post race.

True... maybe I'll do that, and if I end up having to keep it, well, I guess at least I saved 10% with my team RW code?

chasing the impossible

DavePNW

I hope that means it will actually fit.

Lolz. LRB described it best: it fits like a paper bag with sleeves. I doubt that's changed.

Dave

bluerun

Super B****

Oh, I got my Inside Tracker results. SURPRISE, my ferritin is low. For some reason my doctor didn't check my iron levels when I went for my physical this year, but if she had she would have been all, "no problem," because it's technically still "normal." Barely. But normal.

chasing the impossible

bluerun

Super B****

Lolz. LRB described it best: it fits like a paper bag with sleeves. I doubt that's changed.

IDK... my 2018 and 2020 are the same size and the fit is VASTLY different.

chasing the impossible