Beginners and Beyond

Oak Bombardment ThursDailies (Read 23 times)

DavePNW

San Diego has forgotten about them and is all Padres now.

You still have the Clippers! Oh wait. 

Dave

sdWhiskers

blue and yellow

Not sure if anyone else has noticed but the Redsox had a special blue/yellow jersey that they wore back in April in honor of the Boston marathon. They've worn them the past 5-6 games which they won, so will continue to do so as good luck, as they try to make the playoffs.

sdWhiskers

You still have the Clippers! Oh wait. 

Googles "things that happened before I was born"

DavePNW

Googles "things that happened before I was born"

Yeah I did look that up and cannot believe that move was all the way back in 1984.

Dave

LRB

It looks almost exactly like last year's... just blue and yellow instead of red, white and blue. I hope that means it will actually fit.

What will happen: if I buy it now, there will be a plethora available for discounted prices later. If I don't buy it now, it will be sold out everywhere.

I was faced with this dilemma with Boston and New York. I determined both times that the risk wasn't worth the "reward" and bought each at regular price while they were in stock. What helped was once I made that decision, I never thought about it again. YMMV

bluerun

Super B****

I was faced with this dilemma with Boston and New York. I determined both times that the risk wasn't worth the "reward" and bought each at regular price while they were in stock. What helped was once I made that decision, I never thought about it again. YMMV

I ordered it 🤷🏻‍♀️ $99

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Cyberic

Don’t worry, there’s always Race Day Magic.

Go out at PR pace and try to hang on. Obviously.

You should it for the most important reason of all, which is to keep us entertained.

3 x 

I've been training for Chicago and I haven't gotten any mental strength either. I think it's this fucking Covid thing. The first year I had more enthusiasm even though my races were canceled. This year, I'm like whatever.

Yup, pretty much the same

Not so crazy beyond the fact that marathons are crazy in general. Also depends on what you're expecting to get out of it.

Cy - For a lower volume runner, it would be crazy, but as much as you run, not so much. 

The issue is he's gonna have no idea how to pace it. Certainly he can finish it at LR pace, but there's not much data to indicate how much faster is possible.

I need to decide right now if I want to taper. So here’s where I’m at:

• Temp forecast is between 52 and 66, 10% chance of rain, but that is 10 days out, so pretty much bull crap
                • I would go out at either 3:05 or 3:10 pace out of the gate (decided the morning of) and hopefully have enough marathon smarts to speed up or slow down depending on how I’m feeling
                • Logistics are a pain, but not a show stopper
                • Have to pick up your own water on the tables, they’re not handed to you. I’ll lose maybe 30-60s overall, but I’m not going for a PR
                • No hanging around after the race… after a marathon I always leave immediately after. No more energy. So no big deal for me.

So, right now I’m like 70% in, so I think I’ll taper down my volume starting now. I’m still not committed, but this is the most I’ve considered it in a while.

DavePNW

hopefully have enough marathon smarts to speed up or slow down depending on how I’m feeling

An oxymoron!

This is good in theory, but has anyone here ever been able to do this in real life? I've never been able to speed up, only maintain pace at best. The slowing down does happen plenty though, sometimes in dramatic fashion. 

Dave

LRB

I ordered it 🤷🏻‍♀️ $99

Done and done. ✔

Now on to more pressing matters, like planning the route we're driving race weekend.

bluerun

Super B****

Done and done. ✔

Now on to more pressing matters, like planning the route we're driving race weekend.

I go where Waze tells me to go. Problem solved!

chasing the impossible

bluerun

Super B****

An oxymoron!

This is good in theory, but has anyone here ever been able to do this in real life? I've never been able to speed up, only maintain pace at best. The slowing down does happen plenty though, sometimes in dramatic fashion. 

I did it once. Because I was “pacing” someone else, and it’s one thing if I screw up my own race, but I didn’t want to screw up his. (I mean, I lost him on the QB Bridge and he wound up dropping at mile 20, but I still ran a negative split because I didn’t go out like an idiot.)

chasing the impossible

LRB

I go where Waze tells me to go. Problem solved!

I tried that years ago, it was woefully inferior to Google Maps (like Bing vs Google). Maybe it's gotten better since then. 🤔

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I tried that years ago, it was woefully inferior to Google Maps (like Bing vs Google). Maybe it's gotten better since then. 🤔

I’ve been using it for years. It’s better than Google maps IMO. I do like that it tells you where the cops are too.

Damaris

Half Crazy K 2.0

I haven't had much lck with Google or Waze when trying to use them to find the "best" route to work. Both have given me routes that include trying to cross major roads in the city with no traffic light. LOL. Not happening.

bluerun

Super B****

I’ve been using it for years. It’s better than Google maps IMO. I do like that it tells you where the cops are too.

+1

though it’s impossible to drive with it here and listen to a podcast because it’s interrupted by “speed camera reported ahead” or “red light camera reported ahead” every two seconds

chasing the impossible