Beginners and Beyond

Tuesdailies (Read 28 times)

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Docket...Hope you're able to get the hubby off the TM so you get your run too!

Baboon...Seems like a good night for a relaxed race. Do you see the same people at these every week? Some of them may be happy to beat you for a change Smile

Onemile...Nice job on the workout. You're probably right about the break. The only trouble with that is my goal to run every day this year...sorta conflicts a little. I guess there's nothing wrong with running some of these shorter miles, so I'll try to stay positive about it.

Fred...I've looked at trying to view my training in non-traditional blocks or weeks before...just couldn't wrap my brain around it haha. I can definitely see the benefit though, and am glad it's working for you. Also, not to be that guy, but my race was 100 mile, not 100k Smile

Berto...I guess I can consider my shorter miles a break? It's not like I'm hating running or anything. I just feel like I'm hitting the wall - at mile 4 Smile

Cyberic...Good job getting through the 800s.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Fred...I've looked at trying to view my training in non-traditional blocks or weeks before...just couldn't wrap my brain around it haha. I can definitely see the benefit though, and am glad it's working for you. Also, not to be that guy, but my race was 100 mile, not 100k Smile

Shame on me, not you.  60% further is definitely something to post a correction on.  Could be me unable to wrap my head around running 100 miles...

My apologies.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
      10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

PleasantRidge

Warm&fuzzy

Good morning!

I had an unexpected day off, so i rode 63 fine miles this morning.  It was warm and humid, but it was nice for a ride.

Have a great day!

Runner with a riding problem.

LRB

Good morning,

Ended up just running a little over 4 miles last night. I'm a little frustrated to be honest....seem to be just quitting right now after about 4/5 miles. It's definitely a little physical fatigue, but I think there's a lot of mental fatigue too. I just need to start going more slowly and pushing past the distances again.

I'm subbing for a coworker in a golf league tonight, so I'll have to squeeze my run in after that, which means it will likely be a shorter one again.

Hope you all have good days!

Or just run 4 - 5 miles and take what your brain is willing to give for now.

SIAR- How’s your calf doing? I definitely think a few days...a week off after a 100mi race would refresh you mentally and physically

Hopefully my last day off. Calf feels fine so I will try and run tomorrow morning. My favorite race of the year is next weekend. Still hopefull I can race at this point.

PRs:----- 5k: 17:48 (2019)   5M: 29:36 (2020)    HM: 1:24:37 (2017) Scheduled: ???

Cyberic

I don't agree with most people's view of a "taper". Most, like you Fred, only see the last 10 days where you're mostly resting. A taper, in mechanical terms, looks like a funnel. So the first part of what "I" see as the taper is barely noticeable, and starts 3 weeks before in most plans, with the longest long run. The week after that might not look like a lot less, but the weekly mileage does start to decrease.

So to me the taper starts 3 weeks out and "gradually" decreases until 10 days out when th "pitch" of the taper changes until race day.

But most people just find me weird, and use the word "taper" for "active rest".

LRB

I don't agree with most people's view of a "taper". Most, like you Fred, only see the last 10 days where you're mostly resting. A taper, in mechanical terms, looks like a funnel. So the first part of what "I" see as the taper is barely noticeable, and starts 3 weeks before in most plans, with the longest long run. The week after that might not look like a lot less, but the weekly mileage does start to decrease.

So to me the taper starts 3 weeks out and "gradually" decreases until 10 days out when th "pitch" of the taper changes until race day.

I don't find you weird.

To me, taper is the beginning of the reduction of overall volume, not necessarily intensity. But I am weird, so I stand alone in my thoughts.

delicate flower

Baboon...Seems like a good night for a relaxed race. Do you see the same people at these every week? Some of them may be happy to beat you for a change Smile

Pretty much the same people every week, and I know who I'll pass on the run and where, and I know I'll finish right around 20th overall.

<3

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

I understand your perspective. I still consider myself pretty new at this so I go by what the plan says.  In prior training periods, my plans showed definite mileage reductions starting three weeks out, so I considered that the taper.  Hansons pretty much spells out their taper as being the ten days from the last workout to the race day.  True, week 15 has the most mileage while 16, 17, & 18 have less, but there are still 2 SOS workouts (aka Q workouts) in those last weeks.  Certainly, once I have the 63-mile week behind me I'll be thinking that I'm on the downhill side of the training program. I do get your point and don't disagree.

As to being weird, I think most people find all us distance runners weird in some way.  :-)

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                    10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

GinnyinPA

I'm with you. Taper begins after the last 20 mile run. For me it's not just the physical reduction of miles that matters. A large part of it is a mental easing, knowing that for the next three weeks I can basically relax since "the hay is in the barn" and instead of getting harder and harder, each week will be easier and easier. I'll run the miles listed in the plan, but knowing that it is going to get easier until race day helps after doing so many weeks on a demanding schedule. By the time taper starts, I'm as emotionally tired as I am physically.

SOIR - if you want to continue your streak, you could just do 1-5 miles, whatever you're in the mood for, until you reach a point where you want to do more, or need to start training for your next race.

sdWhiskers

Hubby worked early so I have my workout after work. Excessive heat warning today which should be fun. I have hill repeats so I plan to do them along the coast to find whatever cool breeze I can.

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

Shame on me, not you.  60% further is definitely something to post a correction on.  Could be me unable to wrap my head around running 100 miles...

My apologies.

No need to apologize at all! My ego just needed to make sure you knew it didn't take me 23 hrs to go 100k Smile

Jay...calf is great - thanks for asking. It must have all just been swelling and general pain/fatigue. All the swelling has gone out of my legs now, so they're doing a lot better. I seem to be getting tired legs early in my runs, but it would help if I slowed down (and picked easier routes). Hope yours is really better!

LRB...yes, that would be rational!

Ginny...That's going to have to be the plan i think Smile

As for this taper talk...I think taper is really an individual thing that just has to be learned over time. It depends a lot on the race distance and on the race goal. I know folks that take a week to two weeks off entirely before a race. While that isn't what most coaches/plans call a taper, it works great for them. Personally, I've learned that for marathons I really don't need much of a taper. It's just a small reduction in volume and long runs, but still some fast miles and decent number of overall miles.

And really, all we want is for the watch to tell us we're peaking at the right time, right??  

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

LRB

I ran 7.4.

It was sticky and icky, despite being overcast and only 71 with a 69 DP. Sweat poured off of me for 30 minutes post shower!

My experiment at the track lasted one lap (Garmin measured it at .27) so I left and just ran some random intervals up and down the block with no specific target. Just getting the leg muscles extended for the first time since my last speed workout in June.

It was disheartening but not totally unexpected. Now I'll either roll the dice on another piece of shit watch, run with my 410 and upload the workout manually, or do speed work on the boulevard. Yay.

Bert-o

I lost my rama

As for this taper talk...I think taper is really an individual thing that just has to be learned over time. It depends a lot on the race distance and on the race goal. I know folks that take a week to two weeks off entirely before a race. While that isn't what most coaches/plans call a taper, it works great for them. Personally, I've learned that for marathons I really don't need much of a taper. It's just a small reduction in volume and long runs, but still some fast miles and decent number of overall miles.

And really, all we want is for the watch to tell us we're peaking at the right time, right??  

I'd agree with this.  My best performance off a taper for a marathon is a short and very steep taper, meaning 50 miles week prior to race week followed by very few miles during race week, so basically a 7-10 day taper.  Where the last LR comes in prior to race doesn't really matter.  But I wouldn't tell anyone else this is the right formula for them.

And my watch doesn't tell me jack shit.... lame.

3/17 - NYC Half

4/28 - Big Sur Marathon  DNS

6/29 - Forbidden Forest 30 Hour

8/29 - A Race for the Ages - will be given 47 hours

onemile

I ran 7.4.

It was sticky and icky, despite being overcast and only 71 with a 69 DP. Sweat poured off of me for 30 minutes post shower!

My experiment at the track lasted one lap (Garmin measured it at .27) so I left and just ran some random intervals up and down the block with no specific target. Just getting the leg muscles extended for the first time since my last speed workout in June.

It was disheartening but not totally unexpected. Now I'll either roll the dice on another piece of shit watch, run with my 410 and upload the workout manually, or do speed work on the boulevard. Yay.

why don't you just hit the lap button when you cross the line on the track and then adjust them in your log? that's what I do (if I run on the track) instead of relying on the GPS, which is always off on a track because of the curves.