Beginners and Beyond

Yep its TuesDAILIES (Read 37 times)

Baboon

delicate flower

Maybe my watch is just dumb, or I need to experiment with wearing it differently.

Huh...looks weird.  Looks pretty consistent across your other recent runs too.  Even on my easy runs my HR increases as the run progresses.  I don't know enough about the Fenix optical HRM though to know if your readings are normal.  I'm just saying that never happens with my runs.  I have a 920 with chest strap.

<3

bluerun

Super B****

It probably factors weather (and this one should be warmer than Boston).  The one I chose actually says it would be slower than Space Coast (a flat course), and the only issue I see would be the weather. Because it does not make sense that a downhill course would be slower than a flat course.

I do think you should do it.

I don't want to travel to the boondocks for a marathon.  The only real choices I have here are Yonkers (HA HA HA), Suffolk, and Atlantic City.  And all of those are supposed to be slower courses than Boston.  Yippee.

chasing the impossible

because i never shut up ... i blog

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Huh...looks weird.  Looks pretty consistent across your other recent runs too.  Even on my easy runs my HR increases as the run progresses.  I don't know enough about the Fenix optical HRM though to know if your readings are normal.  I'm just saying that never happens with my runs.  I have a 920 with chest strap.

It also depends what optical technology does Garmin use and if the Fenix uses a different one than the 235 (there are different technologies and one is more accurate than others).  Because the one for my 235 does that and worse all through the run.  It would have me at 100 during the faster part of the run and dying while I am jogging.

Damaris

Baboon

delicate flower

Six minutes is not a huge difference, are you kidding? That's enormous.

Nearly a mile.

<3

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I don't want to travel to the boondocks for a marathon.  The only real choices I have here are Yonkers (HA HA HA), Suffolk, and Atlantic City.  And all of those are supposed to be slower courses than Boston.  Yippee.

AC is because it's windy. But it's flat so weird that the calculator would say it's slower than Boston.

Damaris

bluerun

Super B****

AC is because it's windy. But it's flat so weird that the calculator would say it's slower than Boston.

It's also on a boardwalk, and I hate hate hate hate running on boardwalks.

chasing the impossible

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

It wasn't windy the day I ran the half there alongside the full.  It was, however, quite sunny and warm 2 hours after the start.  72 in the shade.  Passing by a mostly-glass building was like being in an oven, with direct sunlight from one side and reflected sunlight on the other.  The warmth was aberrant for that time of year.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19

DavePNW

So is the SF Marathon and the LA Marathon.  Yet, no one would consider them downhill.

To be clear, I was being completely sarcastic.

Dave

sdWhiskers

Not only BQs, but others bask in their new PR times when if you compare them to other races, they are on par to not be as big a PR as the person would like you to think.  Just run it and have fun; don't say you're so awesome because you took 30 minutes of your PR because of the course.  But if they are BQ courses, so be it.

I ran my Half PR on a course with a net downhill of 700 ft that ended up short (12.95 miles). I was thrilled with the improvement that I made that training cycle but at the same time, I feel like it "doesn't count" as a PR even though it was 7 minutes faster than my previous PR. As a hobby jogger who will never win a race or an AG, and has no chance at a BQ ever (or at least definitely not for the next 20 years), I still take great pride in that race. I ran great that day (for me) and now hope to hit a similar time on a more legit course next month.

I would totally run a huge downhill course! But in ever speaking about it, I would always mention the time was associated with the drop.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I ran my Half PR on a course with a net downhill of 700 ft that ended up short (12.95 miles). I was thrilled with the improvement that I made that training cycle but at the same time, I feel like it "doesn't count" as a PR even though it was 7 minutes faster than my previous PR. As a hobby jogger who will never win a race or an AG, and has no chance at a BQ ever (or at least definitely not for the next 20 years), I still take great pride in that race. I ran great that day (for me) and now hope to hit a similar time on a more legit course next month.

I would totally run a huge downhill course! But in ever speaking about it, I would always mention the time was associated with the drop.

I feel the same. But if I PRd at it in September, I'll be talking about it non-stop. 

Damaris

bluerun

Super B****

I kind of look at it the same way... like, I know that it's a downhill course and it gives me an edge, but in my head, if I can run X on a course like that, it's not outside of the realm of possibility that I can run a similar time on another course.  It's a completely mental thing, but since ATM I feel like I am never going to PR in anything ever again, I will take it any way I can get it.

chasing the impossible

So_Im_a_Runner

Go figure

I tried a chest strap for a while but gave up after weeks of it trying to embed itself in my body. I'm sure it's far more accurate though.

As for the discussion on race profiles, I can't say I'm overly bothered by "easier" courses. All anyone can do is run the course on a given day, against the competition that is there. There's always someone out there running faster than me, just like there's always going to be someone that's slower. In the end, I'm just trying to be as fast as I can be. If someone else gets to Boston and did so because of qualifying on a less challenging course, then I'll be happy to outrun them there Smile

And for personal preferences, I really do like some hills to contend with. Since my goal is to start getting into some bigger mountain ultras, this is probably a good thing.

Trying to find some more hay to restock the barn

sdWhiskers

4.3 miles easy last night after work. Then 1 mile with my 5 year old, alternating 1 min running with 1 min walking. He and I are doing a 1 mile race this weekend so we've been doing a little practicing together

For this morning's workout, coach didn't give it to me until last night which didn't give me any time to stress about it! Thankfully, it was pretty reasonable. 7 miles with 1 mile at HMP then 6 x 90s at 1 mile pace. She initially said 6 x 300 m and I was like WTF is that? Lately I've been doing speed work on a semi-dirt trail around baseball fields so I have no idea what 300 m is. As I've said before, intervals by time are my friend.

KCRuns

I have a tapering question.  My full is in 2 weeks.  I think I'd like to have 2 rest days next week leading up to the race.  Is it better to do them 2 days in a row or split them up with a run in between?  So, take Tuesday and Thursday as RD or Wednesday and Thursday?  I do plan a short run on Friday the day before the race.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

My first ever half was net 50' downhill and at the time I didn't understand the impact of that.  It took me six races and more than a year to improve on that first race.  Like you, I'm in no danger of winning an AG or getting a BQ.  I agree that I'd run the course, but would also put an asterisk next to it in my personal log of races.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
                                10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Running is Back 10k, 5/12; Greta's Run 5k, 5/19