320 Outcasts

The introductions thread (Read 47 times)

Rich, a 16 y/o XC runner stuck in a 54 y/o body. Northern Virginia. Father of three (J, C, and Z); Grandpa to a beautiful young lady in kindergarten. Married to an amazing women. Retired Army officer; current Army civilian employee.

I started running for HS XC in 1977 and ran competitively through college (DIII). Eventually I ran just for fitness (which is an oxymoron!) and slowly got in worse and worse shape, especially as career demands, grad school, too much beer, and a failing marriage took their toll.

About a dozen years ago my awesome girlfriend encouraged my to start racing again.

"Some guys they just give up living
    And start dying little by little, piece by piece,
    Some guys come home from work and wash up,
    And go racin' in the street"

-- Bruce Springsteen, Racing in the Street

oregonrw

Hi -- hope it is ok to jump in here.  I used to post on the B(someplace other than the city in Mass) Marathon thread on RWOL, then that disappeared and the group dispersed, mostly ending up on Strava which I find difficult to follow. It's great for tracking my running, not so great for maintaining imaginary friendships. I like having someplace to talk about running/training, and I like reading about what other people are doing and getting ideas for my own training.

I'm 49, married, two kids, and live in Oregon, though I'm from the East Coast. I've run 9 or so marathons, including 6 in Bosnia (?), but decided not to go back this year in part because the last two years have been pretty hot and I melt in the heat. Also, I'm turning 50 this year and I'd really really like to see if I can PR in the marathon - I am stuck right around 3:30. So I am targeting a PR-friendly course, with hopefully better weather, and will see how that goes.

I'm a lawyer for a nonprofit and work a lot, so most of my runs are really early in the morning, and since I live in Oregon, they also are mostly in the rain. Let's see, what else? No cats, but one awesome dog. That about covers it!

Katia77

Very late to the party here but I'm Katie (real name is Katia and I never thought I'd use RA as anything but a log). 32, married with a 19 month old. Lawyer that does civil litigation, currently on Plaintiff's side. I live in Salt Lake City and grew up in Florida, but came here 14 years ago to do NCAA DI gymnastics and I stayed. 

Pre-running I did gymnastics for 20 years (really, age 2-22), including 4-5 years of elite gymnastics and 4 years in college. With that, my body was more beat up than most average 22 year olds so I run pretty low mileage (also, sometimes I try to sleep), but my current PR is 3:18 and change, obtained May 2017, on 40 miles a week. Currently training for that race on the East Coast and decided to do so only 12 weeks out, so that should be an adventure.

PRs: HM: 1:32:59 (2015); FM: 3:18:36 (2017)

rlk_117

Resident Millennial

It appears I've never filled this out, whoops!

Millennial (even moreso than brew :P), late 20s F living in San Francisco. From the northeast and occasionally snobby about it - I walk fast and am never late. Got into running as a kid (HS XC + track) and was very slow back then. Transitioned into road racing while in college, stumbled upon a training group in which everyone ran marathons, and so I ran my first too (at 19).

I run for (and am on the Board of) a women's elite development racing team here in SF, and I'm mid/back of the pack (in my age group) there, but I am getting stronger for it. Relatively current goals are a sub-3:10 marathon ( !! was that out loud?) and the sub90 half that has eluded me for awhile. I've plateaued quite a bit in the marathon in the  past couple years, so busting through that is my current pursuit. I also sometimes train for/race in spring track szn (#BringBackTheMile) and fall XC szn with my team. I ran a trail ultra once but I'm not sure I'll do that again anytime soon...

I've been completely injury free for almost 3 years, which is awesome! I attribute it to consistent mileage over the past several years, more recently learning where to place my efforts / not race workouts, sleeping at least 8 hours most of the time, and a pre-hab/strength routine that I am mostly consistent with. I also think that vegetables, plant-based protein, and liquid iron supplementation is part of this equation.

mile, 5:26 /5k, 19:34 /10k, 41:00 /13.1, 1:31:49 /26.2, 3:12:58

From the Internet.

Oh hey hello! Introductions!

I'm Lauren, 32F, married with one kid, living in the suburbs just outside of the B word. Neuroscience PhD, I do science writing and editing as an independent contractor right now. I rode horses back in the day and picked up running as an alternative outlet in 2012 after grad school and having a child sucked up all my time and disposable income. I got hooked after my first race but battled injuries for a few years.

I broke 95 in the half for the first time this fall with room to spare (I wasn't feeling great and ran conservatively until I knew the goal was a lock), aiming for <3:20 in the marathon in May 2019, possibly targeting an NYCQ half time (<1:32) in March, definitely another attempt in the fall if I don't make it on the first try. Running some indoor track meets in December/January for a change of pace (ha, literally!).