alholley 7.0 mi

Last week:

Runner Date Event Dist. Location Goal Result
    na            

This week:

alholley OCT12 Rocktoberfest 13.1mi Charlotte NC na 1:55:59
    nanxin OCT12 Rocktoberfest 13.1mi Charlotte NC na 1:51:33
    old-runner OCT12 Rocktoberfest 13.1mi Charlotte NC Get it back, pt. 1 1:39:44

Long-range:

old-runner OCT20 Myrtle Beach Mini 13.1mi Nyrtle Beach SC Get it back, pt. 2   

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Yup, that was my home away from home during my formative years. Rob, you'll remember we had a discussion about my days as a juvenile delinquent some time ago. As I said on my Facebook page, they didn't send me there for singing too loudly in the Sunday choir, and back in the 1960s it was just the normal way of dealing with incorrigible kids. Here's the main article for anybody who missed it...

Richard Hefner: Gastonia man remembers good times, bad times

In the grand scheme of things it ended up being a positive experience for me. I had no discipline and no home life so it was a crash course in learning right from wrong. Being knocked through a wall when you screw up will teach you pretty quickly how to act like you've got some sense.

Smile

Wow! I had assumed that the Observer had sent a reporter over to cover the 12 hr relay race on Sat. If this happened over the past 10-15 years you could have retired much earlier given the likely litigation and settlements. That photo further reinforces your work as a lifeguard (in Southern California) -- you very much look the part, especially with the pool and the lane lines in the background!

Rob

old-runner

Haha... That pic was taken at the Great Waldensian Footrace in Valdese. They have the awards ceremony right next to the swimming pool.

Anybody here running the Rocktoberfest Half Marathon this week or the Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon (13.1) next week? I'm running both of them. Trying to get back into half marathon shape. I haven't run a half since June.

http://www.runforyourlife.com/Events/rocktoberfest-half-marathon-5-miler/

http://runmyrtlebeach.com/site80.aspx

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I just decided this morning NOT to run Rocktoberfest. My glutes and hammies are much improved but my fitness sucks. And it's a very hilly course.

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

nanxin

Haha... That pic was taken at the Great Waldensian Footrace in Valdese. They have the awards ceremony right next to the swimming pool.

Anybody here running the Rocktoberfest Half Marathon this week or the Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon (13.1) next week? I'm running both of them. Trying to get back into half marathon shape. I haven't run a half since June.

http://www.runforyourlife.com/Events/rocktoberfest-half-marathon-5-miler/

http://runmyrtlebeach.com/site80.aspx

Hi Richard, I will run the Rocktoberfest, Dowd half is my first half and I ran it every year since, althought they changed the course and almost everything this time.

Scheduled Races:

Tokyo Marathon (March 2020) 

Boston Marathon (April 2020)

Han, Is it you that I've been coming across on the Sugar creek Greenway last couple of weeks at around 7:00 PM (Mon and-Wed)?  I've waived at the person who looks like you, not 100% sure.

I plan on running the Rocktoberfest. Last half marathon for me was Tobacco Road.

nanxin

Han, Is it you that I've been coming across on the Sugar creek Greenway last couple of weeks at around 7:00 PM (Mon and-Wed)?  I've waived at the person who looks like you, not 100% sure.

Hi Shashi, I didn't recall I saw you, I run the Sugar Creek Greenway every Thursday for last couple of weeks, and it is around 6PM to 7PM. But I didn't run on Monday or Wed (son has football practice).

Scheduled Races:

nanxin

I just received a message from Rob regrading the "race I put up", you might already received massive emails from CLT runners about the OCCAAF 1K, 5K and 10K, if you didn't have the email, here is the link to the event, and my name is there as organizer. Smile

http://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/event?oeidk=a07e7vcmps168d05d0a&llr=44hiirnab

In fact, it is not my race, the race director asked me to promote the race and list my name there. It seems I didn't do good job since I even didn't mention the race here in the group. Smile If you want to run this race, I have a discount code "RROCC", which should give you 30% discount. Smile ($35 before discount for a 10K is already pretty cheap) The race should be fast since it has cask reward for top 3 male and female.

Rob also asked RROCC (Road Runner of Charlotte Chinese), or Charlotte Chinese Running Club. I had this club for almost 2 years, I organized it for the BRR relay, we ran twice already and I plan to run it every year. Pete.Hu and CS_2013Savannah are also from the running club, we are training for the Savannah Marathon, so we put up mileage recently. You can find some pictures of the running club at following link. In last two years, I am proud of that there are 18 runners in the club finished half marathons in last 2 years, almost all of them are first time runners.

http://occaaf.org/blog/2013/09/13/life-is-beautiful-especially-when-we-are-running-forward/

Scheduled Races:

old-runner

Glad to hear that some others are running Rocktoberfest! Han, I see that Aaron Chan is one of the members of your club. I've talked to him a lot at the races. We seem to always finish within about a minute of each other! Also, I was at the Ortho 10k and saw the three guys from your club who swept their age group.

I ran the Dowd Y 5k that was associated with the half marathon the first year I was running. It sure does seem like a completely different race now, especially since it's centered around Memorial Stadium. Looking forward to the race!

May be it was Pete then, someone who knows me and we met at BRR in 2012. Not that you two look the same, I am really bad with names. Is Pete the tall, really thin one.
                        nanxin

Glad to hear that some others are running Rocktoberfest! Han, I see that Aaron Chan is one of the members of your club. I've talked to him a lot at the races. We seem to always finish within about a minute of each other! Also, I was at the Ortho 10k and saw the three guys from your club who swept their age group.

I ran the Dowd Y 5k that was associated with the half marathon the first year I was running. It sure does seem like a completely different race now, especially since it's centered around Memorial Stadium. Looking forward to the race!

Richard, you ran the OthoCarolina 10K? I just read your blog. I saw my son in your first picture, he ran the 5K in 30:33 and is #3 in his age group (he is 7), and in another picture, I saw the back of a guy from my club, he ran 45:15, he finished right before you. And the three guys who swept the 40-45 age group, they are Pete.Hu, CS_2013Savannah and myself. Smile I didn't see you maybe because you have long hair now. Smile

Scheduled Races:

nanxin

May be it was Pete then, someone who knows me and we met at BRR in 2012. Not that you two look the same, I am really bad with names. Is Pete the tall, really thin one.

I am taller and thiner than Pete, but I am not really thin anymore. Smile Let me think, it may be other guys in my team, I have around 20 club members running regularly now.

Scheduled Races:

Tar Heel Mom

kween

I haven't seen any photos from the Ortho 10K. Where are they? Or are they all Richard's?

Nolite te bastardes carborundum.

old-runner

I haven't seen any photos from the Ortho 10K. Where are they? Or are they all Richard's?

They had an official photographer at the OrthoCarolina 10k. Just type in the name of the person whose pics you want to see and they'll show up. Here's the link...

http://results.bazumedia.com/event/results/event/event-5264

I didn't see a way to just browse all of the photos though.

Nanxin... Where'd you get to today? Are you okay?? You passed me somewhere (I forget... maybe 6 or 7 miles into the race) and you were running ahead of me and all of a sudden you just stopped. I didn't see you again after that. Is everything all right?