Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 11/22/2010 and bowing to Sashi (Read 304 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

Waited a bit longer today to start this because I wanted to make sure we got the totals that included Sashi's first marathon this weekend at The Monkey.  Awesome time for your marathon debut, especially at that course (which is rumored to have a few small hills in it)!  I've given you your very own Monkey award this week.  You earned it!

Totals for last week, with Mike taking home the gold star.

NameDistance ▼Time
    ChakaKahn 53.7 Mi 6:45:25
    theyapper66  50.1 Mi 8:05:14
    CliveFenster 41.6 Mi 6:15:47
    cpaterun 40 Mi 6:17:51
    Happyfeet 39.2 Mi 6:37:45
    CarolinaBlue 29.1 Mi 3:46:30
    Onionbag1 26.2 Mi 5:38:43
    old-runner 25.1 Mi 3:27:54
    asdg123 15.4 Mi 2:25:05
    runslikeafraggle 13.3 Mi 2:18:21
    Docster 13.1 Mi 1:45:38
    Lpadg 12.6 Mi 1:52:56

I  kicked off my taper with an easy 5 this morning.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Ha. That's a nice award Paul.  Need to practice those downhills as much as the uphills. and try to run some of the hills, or practice walking.  Walking was just as painful as running after about mile 20.  Cardio wise I was fine and was even talking to Cliff who came up to pace me in for the last 6 miles (what a guy)

The course is beautiful, and I saw deer, wild turkeys, Owls, beautiful falling leaves etc.  Sure it's a tough one, but probably will be on my to do list every year.

MTA Link for race picture if anyone is interested  (monkey pictures at the bottom)

http://www.ellyfosterphotography.com/Sports/Strider-Races

under a rock

Congrats Sashi! Glad you had a good enough experience that you want to go back every year. That's how I feel about Medoc Marathon.

It is definitely worth the time to get your walking muscles in shape if you know you've got lots of hills ahead of you. I learned that lesseon many times this summer!

Are we there yet?

King of the Mountain.. first I'd like to thank my wife and kids for their continued support, next I'd like to thank the academy and my sponsor - Raul's Paint & Drywall off Central Ave.   :^)

Way to go Sashimi.. you are on a roll.. or not   :-p ..get it sushi.. sashimi.. ok sorry im horrible

Nice of you people to slack and let me jump up the ladder.

Shashi had a good race, IMO.  One really, really tough hill (even going down that one had to hurt), and lots of pretty tough hills.  I did 11 on the course and felt it, compared to 11 around here.  To run a marathon on it, that'd be ... tough.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Way to go Sashimi.. you are on a roll.. or not   :-p ..get it sushi.. sashimi.. ok sorry im horrible

You think I did not hear the Sushi/sashimi association yet?   To be honest - that being on a roll was funny.

old-runner

Congrats on the marathon Sashi! Glad to see you made it without any problems and are still smiling.

Are we there yet?

So who here has a next big goal race coming up?

Thunder? Charleston?.. what are ur goal times? plan?

Me personally, Id like to pR @ Charleston HM Jan 15th..

old-runner

So who here has a next big goal race coming up?

Thunder? Charleston?.. what are ur goal times? plan?

Me personally, Id like to pR @ Charleston HM Jan 15th..

My next big goal race is Thursday... Turkey Trot at Southpark... anybody else gonna be there? I think Lynwood told me he's running it (is that right Lynwood?), and I remember talking to Paul there last year. For me it's one of the big races of the year because it's part of the Running Journal Grand Prix. I need to finish in the top 8 to get points, and the higher the better of course. Anything lower than 8th place (age group) gets zero points and it's a huge race... 4,000+ runners.

After that is the Thunder Road Half, the Charleston Half (see you there Mike!), and the Myrtle Beach Half on February 19th.

My next big goal race is Thunder Road 1/2.  I hope to knock off a lot of time this year.  I had planned on running the Turkey Trot but now am going out of town for a family gathering.  I do have a cousing that wants to run some Turkey Trot down in SC, so I'll do that possibly.

I ran a decent 9 miles on the Dilworth hills tonight. Nothing hard. It was good to see Adrian back out there running again.

theyapper

On the road again...

My next race is the Thunder Road full.  Hope to finish around 4:15.  After that, I'm running the National Half in March.  That's the race I'm really excited about, because I am way overdue for a new PR in the half, and should easily be able to go sub 2 hours there after all this marathon training.

Paul

Mike, I'll be shooting for 1:45 for the Thunder Road 1/2. That might be a tough stretch goal for me but I'lll shoot for it.

Lynwood,  You've got the speed to attempt a 1:45, it might be be a stretch goal, but your 1:56 was from 2 years ago, I went from 1:59 to 1:51 in a year running about the same as you, so a 10 minute improvement is definitely possible.  Plus go big or go home right?  

If I run Thunder rod that'd be my goal as well, maybe we should try and find each other before the race and push to get that 1:45.

Are we there yet?

Mike, I'll be shooting for 1:45 for the Thunder Road 1/2. That might be a tough stretch goal for me but I'lll shoot for it.

If it were easy than it wouldn't be a proper goal. I know you can do it. You've put in the training, now execute on race day!!!

Richard,-> I may actually meet you in person.. geez, Charleston should be fun.

Wow, Sashi.. you are bouncing back quickly after your marathon effort.. I remember my first.. I'd sworn off running for at least a month.. but it wasnt the case either Smile

So maybe we can start cut and paste this at the top of the weekly results yapper66.. I think it will help me remeber everyones goal.. and into the future.. goals.. dunno if its too much work i understand as I am already impressed with your ability to keep this thread current thanks btw!!

old-runner  DEC11 Thunder Half

HappyFeet DEC11 Thunder Half

Lpadg   DEC 11 Thunder Half

theyapper66 DEC11 Thunder Full

ChakaKahn JAN15 Charleston Half

theyapper

On the road again...

So maybe we can start cut and paste this at the top of the weekly results yapper66.. I think it will help me remeber everyones goal.. and into the future.. goals.. dunno if its too much work i understand as I am already impressed with your ability to keep this thread current thanks btw!!

old-runner  DEC11 Thunder Half

HappyFeet DEC11 Thunder Half

Lpadg   DEC 11 Thunder Half

theyapper66 DEC11 Thunder Full

ChakaKahn JAN15 Charleston Half

One of the other threads I'm in has a sticky thread (the ones that stay at the top of the forum page) with upcoming races and goals.  I'll get one of those posted soon, and as we each have new races/goals we can add the there and I'll try to update that thread instead of trying to remember to do it in each new weekly thread.

MTA: Done.

Paul