Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 1/10/2011 (Read 267 times)

Glad to hear you're still running Rob.  Hope you heal quickly. 

Yes, the Thursday run is definitely an ego run for a lot of the runners. Still a fun group, and nobody really cares how fast you run.  Very relaxed, supportive group.  Many don't run near the mileage ya'll do either.    I was talking to one guy that finished in the top ten for the the RaceFest 10k, and runs in the 18's for a 5k currently. He told me I probably didn't need to run more than 25 miles per week, and that's all he runs.  heh  I guess I might too, if I could run that fast.   I didn't mean to run that fast either, but kind of got pulled along.  I'll be slowing down and bumping up the mileage.

theyapper

On the road again...

Many don't run near the mileage ya'll do either.    I was talking to one guy that finished in the top ten for the the RaceFest 10k, and runs in the 18's for a 5k currently. He told me I probably didn't need to run more than 25 miles per week, and that's all he runs.

My standard questions to people like that are

1) How long have you been running, and

2) Have you always only run 25 miles/week.

Typically the answers are something along the lines of

1) Years, and

2) No, I used to really pile on the mileage.

It really burns me up when runners who have reached a seemingly successful place start talking about how little they run, as if those of us who are putting in the mileage shouldn't need to, even though they often have a massive base of miles that they got by, well, putting in the mileage.  It always smells a little like Arnold Schwarzenegger condemning steroid use after he used them to get him to the place where he had a platform to condemn it.

Disclaimer: I don't know the guy you spoke to, and maybe he's a naturally gifted freak.  I doubt it.  My guess is his talent has grown through the "trials of miles" just like most of ours will.

MTA: 14.6 miles total for me, and I broke my own HM PR twice during the run.  Not because I was trying to, just because I'm a naturally gifted freak.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Lynwood, I don't like running in the cold weather much hence my absence from the Thursday runs. I really like that course and the runners.  I'll try to get out there every other week or so, because I tend to race it a bit, and right now I have a couple of nicks that could use a period of easy running.  

old-runner

Shashi... While we're querying you on your personal appearances, are you planning on running with the Gaston County YMCA group sometimes? I didn't go this week myself and might not go much after the race season starts (which is about two weeks from now on January 29th). They've started adding a pretty big trail loop at Belmont Abbey to the run and I don't like trails at all so it's not looking quite as appealing to me lately, but I still like the idea of a local running club. Just wondering if you were planning on doing some more runs with them.