Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 11/22/2010 and bowing to Sashi (Read 304 times)

One of the other threads I'm in has a sticky thread (the ones that stay at the top of the forum page) with upcoming races and goals.  I'll get one of those posted soon, and as we each have new races/goals we can add the there and I'll try to update that thread instead of trying to remember to do it in each new weekly thread.

I was just going to suggest that ... you beat me to it.

MTA: Actually, what do you think about a Monthly Racing thread?  Folks post up, the thread-starter edits the top post to incorporate the info on a rolling basis?  Info stays a bit more chronologically findable that way, as the thread doesn't get too massive before a new monthly thread begins.  (Kind of like the Swamp's weekly thread, I was thinking.)

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Back after a month off. And man did it hurt. Plenty of excuses: work, sick and vacation whichever sounds best.

After running the Myrtle Beach 1/2 marathon, a month passed. And I decided to try the ThunderRoad preview second half preview run. That was a mistake, but I completed it. Took a day and a half for my legs to get right.

Ran Monday night with Lynwood for 4.5 miles. It was a nice introduction back to running. In the future, I will not let some much time go bye. Lesson learned.

You're right Mike, why not go for it.  I don't want to wait till next year to try again. 

Shashi, congrats on running that beast of a course.  At least, that's what it seems like.  Meeting before Thunder Road sounds like a good idea.  I have a several cousins coming to race also, at about the same pace. I am planning on meeting with my running group by 7 am just inside the entrance of the Convention Center near the Welcome Desk.  Us and probably three thousand other people, but we should be there.  I'll try to recruit others that are running at that pace if possible, so maybe we could have a bunch of 1:45'ers. 

Adrian, that's a tough way to come back.  13.1 then the monday run. Hard.  Good job though.  We had a good turnout Monday with about 17 - 20 runners, and I was suprised that I got maybe 8 or 9 to run it twice.  A large group ended up at Bricks, and a few of us went to Picasso's to watch football.  A nice way to end a Monday!

old-runner

Glad to see everybody's in racing mode! I think a monthly racing thread would be great! Paul, be sure to include the year also such as "January 2011" instead of just "January" since the older I get the faster the years go by... I'd like to try to keep them sorted out.

I noticed that we haven't heard from Rob... how's the ankle Rob? The way you were walking after the Santa Scramble it looked like you might be sidelined for a while. I hope that's not the case but keep us informed.

A note to all of you folks running the Thunder Road Half Marathon... Be sure and line up as close to the front as you can get. The farther back in the pack you are, the less likely you are to hit your goal time. When I ran it in 2008 I started about halfway back in the pack and finished in about 2:02. In 2009 I started near the front and finished in about 1:35. Part of it was because I was faster, but not that much. I couldn't get anywhere in the 2008 race because of the hundreds of people clogging up things in front of me. If you're up front and running pretty fast you can stay ahead of all that.

theyapper

On the road again...

Glad to see everybody's in racing mode! I think a monthly racing thread would be great! Paul, be sure to include the year also such as "January 2011" instead of just "January" since the older I get the faster the years go by... I'd like to try to keep them sorted out.

I made sure I put the year on it. Thanks for the reminder.

A note to all of you folks running the Thunder Road Half Marathon... Be sure and line up as close to the front as you can get. The farther back in the pack you are, the less likely you are to hit your goal time. When I ran it in 2008 I started about halfway back in the pack and finished in about 2:02. In 2009 I started near the front and finished in about 1:35. Part of it was because I was faster, but not that much. I couldn't get anywhere in the 2008 race because of the hundreds of people clogging up things in front of me. If you're up front and running pretty fast you can stay ahead of all that.

That's quite a time difference. I ran from the mid to back of the pack in 2008 and it was crowded. Of course, I wasn't running fast.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

I do think that the pace gets locked in a bit, as my first 2 mile pace ends up being my overall race pace. 

theyapper

On the road again...

Had a 4 mile pace run on the schedule today and did half-mile warmup and then thought I was running 4 after that, but ended up doing 3.5 miles faster than what I expect my MP to be.  Anyway, got the 4 miles in, and I think my avg pace for the whole run was somewhere around 9:10.  Won't know till I get home and upload it.

Paul

Richard, read your reply to my post on the other thread.  Foot is balky and hurts.  I tape it very securely and ice massage it, and this seems to be the trick.  The side of my foot feels like it was hit w/a hammer. Today I hurt it again during an 8.25 mi run where a trail covered in leaves was also covering numerous rocks and fallen branches (I learned this the painful way).  Other than avoiding sidewalks, having to always run with traffic (foot feels fine where the camber of the road tilts away and downward) and not turning to the right (I have to limp/hop when turning to the right as the foot cannot bear this), I'm fine!

How did everyone feel today on their run (post Thanxgiving Day meal)?  And for those that did not run today, your postponing the inevitable.

Rob

Rob, after what you've been through this week I hate to complain but my legs did not appreciate a nice 9 mile hill run two days after my 5k race.  Maybe that wasn't such a good idea.  I ran 5.5 tonight, and won't let my issues stop me this close to Thunder Road.  It's the same thing I've always fought as my left leg and calf get serious cramping and knotting and about the only thing I can do to get rid of it is Active Release and Graston.  I've already got my appointment set.  I still plan on 10 or 12 miles Saturday afternoon too. 

theyapper

On the road again...

Be smart on the foot, Rob.  Glad that you were able to run some.

Trying to type while my hands thaw out from my run this morning. A chilly 34F for my 12 miler.  This was my last double-digit run before Thunder Road, so I decided I would simulate the water stops to see how that effected my overall pace.  Very pleased with the run, ended up avg 9:20/mile even with 5 "water" stops.

Paul

under a rock

I did 9 miles today! No IT band pain or tightness. My quads are super tired and sore from the strength training I did on Wed at PT, otherwise I think I could have gone farther. PT will be very happy to hear about my 9 miles, of course she probably won't be thrilled that I tripped on a root and fell at 8.5 miles, oops!

theyapper

On the road again...

Great news, Ashley (well, except for the tripping part)!

Seems pretty quiet in here...

Paul

That is good to hear Ashley!  You'll be tearing up the trails again soon I know!

Glad to hear good news, Ashley and Rob!

I was traveling for Thanksgiving, which went horribly.  Battling stomach and intestinal issues for the past few days, too, and they let me know exactly what they thought of tonight's 10-miler.  Not pleasant.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau