Dist.

Goal

Result

Lpadg 01JUN2013 Hit the Ground Running 11km Matthews NC na 59:39; 16OA; 1AG

This week:

Runner Date Event Dist. Location Goal Result
    CliveF 07JUN2013 China Grove 5km China Grove NC run faster  
    Lpadg 07JUN2013 Ragnar Trail Series ~15mi Big Bear Lake WV finish  

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

I ran a trail race last weekend called Hit the Ground Running out at Colonel Francis Beatty Park. I had not run the trails there and didn't know what to expect. Good trails but not my favorite kind to race on. Lots of switchbacks and bike moguls. Fun event though, small and laid back. I snagged 1st in my age group out of 5, so not a bad showing.

Lynwood, congrats. Was it muddy out there btw? Rooty? Where did you find this race? Were you reading Clive's 2013 edition of Carolinas Races to Cherry Pick a Win (I've never heard of it)?

What happened to Shashi? He has not appeared on the weekly tallies? Is he injured? Or did Paul send those dogs after him??

Rob

That's funny Rob, and yes I read Clive's guidelines. They work.  I met the race directors awhile back at a race where I helped a trail running friend who put on a race for his school kids.  They do put on bigger events. It was also posted on our trail running site, so I ran it.  I can say I was glad to get to the finish line.  No mud at all, and only some roots and rocks.  I had been told it was much easier that WWC, but I disagree.  No hills of any significance.  Just like running an hour of football drills.

Rob, I am on vacation in India, running here in the summer sucks, tried a few times, a 4 miler feels like 10 miles stateside. So I am taking an almost complete break from running for 3 weeks for the first time in about 5 years.

Rob, I am on vacation in India, running here in the summer sucks, tried a few times, a 4 miler feels like 10 miles stateside. So I am taking an almost complete break from running for 3 weeks for the first time in about 5 years.

Shashi, glad to hear that your safe and injury free (I thought Paul's pack of dogs caught up to you).

Clive, are you bringing your googles with you for China Grove tomorrow nite (will you wear a swim suite and/or speedo in lieu of running shorts given the conditions)?

Lynwood, are you bringing a life preserver to run with in that trail race on Sat? I can't imagine how muddy it will be given the amount of rain expected. And I can't imagine how fun it will be camping out Friday nite (in pouring rain in quagmire conditions)!

Rob

Clive, are you bringing your googles with you for China Grove tomorrow nite (will you wear a swim suite and/or speedo in lieu of running shorts given the conditions)?

Fingers crossed!

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Rob. Just found the best book. Ode' to Cherry Pickin'. written by some fast dude named Weston. Amazingly well written. Wish there was more trail stuff but you can't have everything. I'm sitting in a hotel, high and pressurized at 2000 feet sitting the storm out, sipping on something to keep me warm. The way I look at it... Everybody has to run the same course. I aint the fastest, but I know how to run through mud.

5 PM

8 PM

11 PM

79 / 68

75 / 68

68 / 66

Humidity (%): 68%

Humidity (%): 82%

Humidity (%): 93%

Wind (mph):

9 mph WNW

Wind (mph):

5 mph WSW

Wind (mph):

2 mph SW

Conditions:

Chance of a Thunderstorm

Conditions:

Chance of a Thunderstorm

Conditions:

Chance of a Thunderstorm

Probability of Precipitation

90%

90%

60%

Cloud Cover (%)

Cloud Cover (%)

Cloud Cover (%)

79%

70%

92%

Ah, China Grove.

-- Dick LeBeau

Cliff,

I forgot that Clive loves to run in the rain! Just try not to stomp in any puddles along the course in an attempt to splash spectators or competitors or your law professor as you don't know how deep it will be.

Lynwood,

for some reason I thought you were camping out in nature for this. Best of luck (but you will sink more in the mud vs. the other competitors given your overweight condition!).

Rob

FYI: Lynwood is svelte these days.

-- Dick LeBeau

theyapper

On the road again...

I decided at the last minute to go run the 5k in China Grove last night.  I knew it had been awhile since I ran a 5k, turns out my last one was 2 years ago in China Grove.  Gotta say I was pretty pleased to come in under 25 minutes (clock had me at 25 on the nose, but I started at the back - Garmin had me at 24:44).

Clive - I think I saw you warming up - almost called out to you but didn't.  Congrats on a good race.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

Congrats Paul!

Rob, I camped Friday and Saturday night.  It looked like lightening was going to accompany the downpours, so I sat out Thursday night in the hotel on Morgantown WV.  The race was very tough, wet and cold.  I was elected as Team Captain, so I gave myself last slot out of 8. Our start time was not until 4 pm.  The last teams went off at 5.  Some started at  12. I ran my first leg of the relay, about 6.2 miles, at 10:35 pm.  The rain had stopped and the fog rolled in. Running in the dark, in the mountains, in mud was a little treacherous.  I finished and did enjoy it.

Paul, congrats (did you see a guy wearing pajamas and that is how you recognized Clive?)?

Lynwood, how many legs did you run (did not realize it was one of the relay type races)? Could you see in the dark and fog (assuming you had your trusty two friends -- your hand lights)?

Rob

Paul - sorry I missed you!  You should've called out.  (I'm assuming you saw me as I was puttering up and down the middle of the road in the rain during the 15min lightning delay?)  Nice job on your time -- only ~70sec off your 5k PR, and that's post-marathon and with no speed training.

Lynwood: Running in the dark, wet, fog, and on trails?  Gee, that sounds like fun.  (Not.)

-- Dick LeBeau