Charlotte, NC area runners

Week of 10/25/2010 (Read 251 times)

theyapper

On the road again...

I couldn't believe it when I looked at last week's totals and realized that I'm keeping the gold star this time!  It was my all-time high mileage week at just over 56.  Still trying to wrap my brain around that total.

I know that a couple in our group ran down at Myrtle Beach this week-end, so it's possible that when all the runs get uploaded, I won't be the keeper of the star, but for now, I'll enjoy it cause I know i worked my butt off last week.

NameDistance ▼Time
    theyapper66  56.1 Mi 9:18:46
    CarolinaBlue 52.8 Mi 7:08:39
    asdg123 51.1 Mi 7:51:53
    Happyfeet 44.5 Mi 6:59:37
    CliveFenster 40.2 Mi 6:00:22
    ChakaKahn 37.8 Mi 4:46:34
    cpaterun 32.3 Mi 5:17:40
    Lpadg 31.2 Mi 4:39:23
    chuckplayer 15 Mi 2:00:55
    old-runner 13 Mi 1:59:16
    Docster 12.4 Mi 1:45:59
    runslikeagirl 4.2 Mi 38:16
    alholley 4.1 Mi 36:32

Got out this morning and kicked the week off with an easy 5.6 mile run.

I write. I read. I run. One time, I ran a lot on my 50th birthday.

Paul

under a rock

Good job!

I'm hoping for a bigger week this week. I never got much past 2 miles on Sat or Sunday because of my IT band. I'm going to take two more days off with lots of stretching and hope for a longer run on Wed.

Paul, congrats (hopefully not temporary!) on the gold star!

Fraggle: I log-stalk shamelessly, and I noticed that Jeff, Mikeymike, Thunder, and a lot of other good runners aren't afraid to take a few days completely off from running.  (In fact, that's what I was advised to do after Twin Cities.)  Enjoy that marathon result and don't stress about not being back in the groove right away.  Hope the ITB starts being a team player again.

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

under a rock

Paul, congrats (hopefully not temporary!) on the gold star!

Fraggle: I log-stalk shamelessly, and I noticed that Jeff, Mikeymike, Thunder, and a lot of other good runners aren't afraid to take a few days completely off from running.  (In fact, that's what I was advised to do after Twin Cities.)  Enjoy that marathon result and don't stress about not being back in the groove right away.  Hope the ITB starts being a team player again.

Very good advice, luckily I'm not too obsessed with mileage, just a tiny bit. I've never had much problem with taking a few days to a week off. But it is disappointing to take a week off and not get the results I was hoping for. Though, this is the same pattern of recovery that happened in march, first run barely two miles, day off, next run 3 or so, day off, next run 4 or so, etc. Once I got past 6 miles I stopped having problems. Hopefully I can get it back in good shape before my 25k on the 13th, if not I'll switch to the 10k.

old-runner

Congratulations to all of you high mileage running fanatics! The Myrtle Beach Mini Marathon was fantastic! There were thousands of runners and it was hard to find anybody but I ran into Adrian (alholley) after the race and we talked for a bit until I heard my wife's name as she crossed the finish line. I was happy to get 3rd place out of 76 runners in my age group (1:38:26) and the awards were handed out by none other than Bart Yasso. The finisher medal was the best I've ever seen and the race finishing on the new Myrtle Beach boardwalk was really cool. If you want to do a good half marathon next fall it would be hard to beat this one, especially if the weather's good.

Very nice Paul, and everybody else too.  I was happy to be back over 30 myself. I think 31 might be near my peak but the difference is this time, I feel good and ready to run more.  Ya'll are inspiring me to run to new levels!

Thanks for the weekly thread, Paul!  What's my plan for this week?  It's this Big grin:

DAY PLAN ACTUAL NOTES AND COMMENTARY
                MON 0 0 nice rest after 8 days in a row
                TUE 5+striders  5.4 easy-peasy, feeling fast
                WED 6+striders    
                THU 5    
                FRI 3+striders    
                SAT 10k RACE   anniversary of my first race since I started running again
                SUN 6    
                TOTAL 35-36 0  

"I want you to pray as if everything depends on it, but I want you to prepare yourself as if everything depends on you."

-- Dick LeBeau

Cliff (Clive) and I both are celebrating a somewhat similar anniversary this Saturday as its my anniversary of my first race (ever).  I'm running the Runway 5k again this Sat.  Last year, I was running 15-20 miles a week (3-4 workouts a week and still in "recovery" mode fr 2 yrs prior). Remember that race well, as I was "naive" and violated several "cardinal rules"...wore a shirt I never trained in (disaster, overheated), ingested caffeine an 1 hr 15 min before the race (disaster, I never really consume caffeine, so I must have had to go to the bathroom about 4x in that 75 minutes)...no over-distance training or simulation/tempo runs or race pace runs (went out in the first mile in 6:57, second mile in 7:07 and then died finishing in 22:08).  Cliff, running down memory lane, how did your race go last year (any memorable moments? how long was your layoff?)?

Rob

Over the summer, I'd been running 2.78mi (business park loop) 2, maybe 3 times per week at about 12:00mm and with walk breaks about every half-mile.  Decided that it'd be really smart to train for and run the half at Thunder Road, recruited a (younger) guy from work to go along with my scheme, and we started the Higdon Intermediate HM plan.  This 10k occurred six weeks into the Higdon plan.

Breakfast was a bowl of granola with lots of cranberries.  It sat in my stomach like molten lead for the rest of the morning.  My stomach was killing me by 3mi, and it never let up until after the finish.  Almost hurled when I bent down to take off my timing chip.

I had it in my head that I could run 47:00 (7:34 pace), with essentially no evidence to support that belief.  We went out in 7:31, slowed slightly in the next mile, and then reality set in.  We were slackers for most of miles 4-5, with my buddy obviously feeling better than me but running together.  At the 5-Mile mark, he left me with ease, probably annoyed by my serious gasping for air.  I lumbered across in 48:09.

I'm looking to repeat the experience at higher speed this Saturday. Big grin  My "PR" right now is a 45:14 -- the 10k split from a HM I ran back in August.  So A-goal is sub-43:30; B-goal is sub-44:15, and C-goal is sub-45.

[MT'ed to clarify]

-- Dick LeBeau

Clive, I guess you mean a sub 45 10K, a sub 45 Half would be nice though. Does the Thunder road have a 10K option? or are you thinking about another race?

Sorry: the current official 10k PR is 45:50 from January; the unofficial 10k PR is 45:14, which was my 10k split in the Spirit of Columbus HM a couple months ago.

I'm still on the fence about Thunder Road.  I just don't feel any great attraction to the race, and the course is so residential that it just feels like a (crowded) training run.  Meh.  I thought about volunteering, but I'd rather do that for smaller races with more obvious charitable causes.  So after this weekend, there's nothing on the race calendar for the rest of 2010.  (If you listen closely, you can hear Richard's brain grunting as it struggles to imagine such a thing. Big grin

-- Dick LeBeau

old-runner

It's getting late in the year so no races for the rest of the year doesn't sound that bad to me. I've got a few planned but will cancel mostly any of 'em in a heartbeat if the weather's bad enough. 

I see Rob's running the Runway 5k this weekend, so Rob, I'll try to spot you... 6'4", red rubber hat, carrying a volleyball right? Anybody else going to do the Runway 5k? It's one of the best races of the year and second only to the Santa Scramble for a PR possibility... probably a more honest PR since it's flat as opposed to a net drop in elevation.

Are we there yet?

Sorry been raising kids.. Cool Blog Paul!!!

Also thanks for heading up this weekly mileage chart/goal/star post.

You rock!

Richard... 11 days.... Big grin

Clive.. you are the man taking up that other forum, dedicated baby!

old-runner

Hey Mike... Yep, 11 days. Where are you starting at NYC? Here's my info...

Bib: 6642

Green Wave #1

Corral #6

Start Time 9:40

I'll be taking the Staten Island Ferry over at 5:40 a.m.

Richard...its water polo (not volleyball...LOL), that is a water polo cap (the earguards to prevent one's eardrums from getting busted), and the ball is yellow (a little bigger and much harder than a volleyball).  I played competitively for about 25 years (started in college).  I'm not planning on wearing just a Speedo w/a water polo cap on at the Runway (although if I did it would be very difficult to miss me)!  I'm also targeting the Santa Scramble 5k on 11/20 (everyone should consider running this given the favorable course conditions, mostly a straight line, and since this opens the Concord Christmas Parade I believe your running in front of ~20,000 people).

Rob